General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

did anybody see the 69 442 sold at barret jackson last night???

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM

did anybody see the 69 442 sold at barret jackson last night???

was catching a little of the barret jackson on speed (spend?) channel last night apart from 2/3rds being advertising, saw a nice looking 69 what was touted as all original 442 however when the camera went around to the rear of the car there emblazoned on the right rear trunk lid was a "cutlass" emblem, now even being the newb I am I know this is wrong yet it went for 40K!!! it was nice looked straight, but 40K and don't these folks actually ask and check the validity of peoples claims? there looked to be some real bargains going last night an all original 65 mustang coupe, 4 speed 16100 miles for less then 30k?? maneeconomy is hitting everywhere except the older lady who loved don knots and forked over 110K for a 4 door galaxie with 289, painted as the mayberry mobile... go figure...

here is the car

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...vecarlist.aspx

and here is the emblem
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Official Tire Kicker

The paint scheme is incorrect as well. Right?
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Willidog
The paint scheme is incorrect as well. Right?
Correct. Totally wrong stripes on the rear. Pleeeeeeeease don't tell Joe P

"This 442 is an original California car that has been frame-off restored with no expense spared." Yeah, sure. Typical BJ bs.

Last edited by wmachine; October 9th, 2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM

I wonder if those wheels were orginal from the factory?
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Past Administrator

Aren't those Chevy super sport stripes? Just don't look right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chevelleshow2mr6.jpg (80.0 KB, 8 views)
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Yes. That is pretty common for ".....an original California car that has been frame-off restored with no expense spared."
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
The Oldsmobiles are so fast they outrun the trunk stripes........
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
Correct. Totally wrong stripes on the rear. Pleeeeeeeease don't tell Joe P
Too late...

BJ seems to attract people with way more money than brains.
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Barrett Jackson is a puke fest to watch, give me a brake
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM

1970 442 post white non A/C just sold for 36,750
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Telecom Guru

Man, don't get me started on the whole auction thing. A friend of mine (really an old friend of my brother's) is a collector car broker and puts on a handful of auctions in different cities.

Know this: At most auctions, although I can't speak for BJ, the description the owner gives is what the auction company puts on the car. They do not make any effort to validate any information about the car. So the same rules that apply to classified ads and eBay apply here. I believe 'caveat emptor' is the applicable expression.

The way I see it, if you drop $40K on a collector car without thoroughly checking it out you deserve what you get.

My favorite auction annoyance is, "All original! New paint!" or "All original except...." or any variation on that theme. It's either all original or it ain't! There's no middle ground with "all". That's an absolute. LOL
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

barrett-jackson=drunks with money
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM

I was there last January, What an eye opener... The junk was piled real high. I got alot of stories I could share. But on the bright side, I left in a raging blizzard with -50 wind chills in MN and walked around BJ in my shorts with the sun shining. I'd do it all over again.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:15 PM

yeah, it amazes me what they consider correct, then again many of us on this forum have been Olds nuts for years so we shouldn't expect everyone to have as critical an eye as we do. With many of the folks at auctions they have a desire for a specific car and prefer to pay for it completed and may not know the details of what is correct or incorrect. Yes they may have more money than knowledge for these cars but they got the money somehow - in many ways more power to them, the tough part is it makes an expensive hobby for the many folks who have always dug these cars and have them for the fun of them not for the trophy of wining them at an auction
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM

by the way, wrong or right that is one nice looking Cutlii!!!!!!
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM

I agree with ALL above comments,but does'nt this mean the values of our cars are going up as well?Especially the REAL originals.Anyone watch BARRY WHITE?He's making a good living fixing cars he buys at the junkyard,then restifies them with high dollar goodies.Sells them at these old car auctions.
I'm glad there saving these cars,even though they're inflating the market.IMHO,later on,BO
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM

No doubt!!I like anything shiny with a rocket on it.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Barrett Jackson is a puke fest to watch, give me a brake
Yes it is.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM

I was watching the show too and while not paying much attention I thought I heard 442 and yet saw Cutlass on the trunk.

Yea, BJ is full of S _ _ _. On one car they say how important originality is, then on the next car they're claiming customization adds value.

However as someone else alluded to the fact that a bidder paid this much for an incorrect 442 (AKA Cutlass) can only be good news for the rest of us that have correct cars.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM

BJ and other auctions are the reason most people can't afford to get into the old car game
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM

I would agree, but then again you can't have it both ways.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM

To think I was going to start a thread on this and came late into the game. BJ is fun and tough to watch. You see overated, overhyped cars going for stupid money. Tons of Mustangs, Camaros, and Chevelles. I like the beginning of the week when they have the decent cars for decent prices. Don't get me started on the guy who always wears his stupid sunglasses either. I fell better now. Thanks!
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I met an friend of mine that I hadn't seen in years around 1985, nice guy but very **** retentive ...

He was wholesaling cars and I talked him into restoring some musclecars he had just for the auction, they were "Auction Queens" . They were very complete and sold at B.J. for top Dollar ...

One of my last "chores" was to dust off the undercarriage ...

I got to test drive the cars . With redlines getting sideways on shifts brought back memories ...
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM

That guy Steve Mangnanti (spelling incorrect I'm sure) seems to know cars very well. I bet they don't let him comment on stuff that is obviously wrong. Most high school kids that are into cars know that a 442 shouldn't have "Cutlass" on the trunk lid.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Mike Joy is an idiot and can't keep his hands off the cars.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BosMobile
I agree with ALL above comments,but does'nt this mean the values of our cars are going up as well?
The fact that a handful of people with more money than brains decide to spend some of it does not necessarily make other cars worth more.

Just look at the housing market...
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The fact that a handful of people with more money than brains decide to spend some of it does not necessarily make other cars worth more.

This is true.But it's because of these Morons that everybody thinks they have a $50G Car no matter the shape
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

i think rich folks need a couple more tax hikes
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM
olds..older..oldest

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

The fact that a handful of government {people with[your] money than brains decides to spend[lots] of it does not necessarily make other cars worth more...except in the "cash-for-clunkers" program.Just look at the housing market... The gospel according to Joe Ch. 1 vs. 1 [New Reversed Vision]
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Senior Moment Member

These rich guys have HUGE egos. Put 'em in a room and turn 'em loose and what do you get? Big prices. Add a little alcohol, bigger prices. Some won't be outbid just for the sake of taking a car away from another rich sap. I had a 69 442 and loved the fact that the trunk had no stripes. I wish I had a nickel for every moron who asked me when I was going to finish the stripes. I always thought maybe Olds didn't put them there so you could tell at a distance it wasn't a Chevelle SS. I thought it looked classy. Just my 2 cents.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM

good thoughts...

the wheels on the car I posted in the general discussion a little while back are from cragar, I thought they looked similar to hurst olds wheels, but seeing them on the car changed my mind ( so watching BJ wasn't a total waste LOL)

last night I saw some nice cars, but the ridiculous money went for a 67 nova super sport pro touring car , petty blue or semi gloss black I mean excellent looking work on her nice details like the way the hood opened but 192K???? c'mon not even close to reality

I am still suffering from that barney fife mobile at 110K and it had NO realtion to the andy griffith show except Don Knots Siggy...

I am gonna find an old imperial paint it up as the green hornet mobile and go to a seance and get bruce lee to sign the sucka....

Old October 10th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
"This 442 is an original California car that has been frame-off restored with no expense spared." Yeah, sure. Typical BJ bs.
You realize that it's not B-J BS but owner BS?

B-J is merely giving the stats according to the owner.
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
You realize that it's not B-J BS but owner BS?

B-J is merely giving the stats according to the owner.
Of course. I meant that it was the typical BS you see at BJ. BJ shamelessly does absolutely nothing to put any pressure on sellers to be honest. They are quite happy to be able to say it is out of their control as it suits them just fine. Yeah, like the the extremely sub par announcers they have. Of course they don't have much choice, as you'd think anybody with any integrity wouldn't want to be helping sell the lies.

But you know, it really is BJ BS. They accept it, they post it, they sell it, and they profit from it. Just because they don't write it doesn't absolve them from any responsibility. Especially when any disclaimers in this regard are all "in small print". If they were "merely giving the stats", they would make that fact quite obvious, and they don't.
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Moment Member

It really is up to the buyer to make sure he is getting what is described. No one else. A room full of millionaires and booze makes for good commissions to BJ.
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
It really is up to the buyer to make sure he is getting what is described. No one else. A room full of millionaires and booze makes for good commissions to BJ.
Of course it up to the buyer to make sure he is getting what is described. But that does not justify the blatant bs and lying that permeates the car hobby. I will never consider that to be acceptable behavior. And as far as I'm concerned anybody that does is part of the problem. I think it it is disgusting that integrity gets tossed out with the trash.
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM
car guy

Johns car is the real deal. 99% of everything is hand made. It a piece of art work that has been beaten on at the track for the last two years. They cleaned up the rock chips and battle rash for the auction. As for what its worth hard to say. You could not pay someone to duplicate it for what it sold for but it was for sale for just over 100K up until about a month ago. He got tired of trying to sell it because he is read you move on to his next project so he rolled the dice with BJ. Needless to say he is more than happy with the outcome.

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
the wheels on the car I posted in the general discussion a little while back are from cragar, I thought they looked similar to hurst olds wheels, but seeing them on the car changed my mind ( so watching BJ wasn't a total waste LOL)

last night I saw some nice cars, but the ridiculous money went for a 67 nova super sport pro touring car , petty blue or semi gloss black I mean excellent looking work on her nice details like the way the hood opened but 192K???? c'mon not even close to reality

I am still suffering from that barney fife mobile at 110K and it had NO realtion to the andy griffith show except Don Knots Siggy...

I am gonna find an old imperial paint it up as the green hornet mobile and go to a seance and get bruce lee to sign the sucka....

Old October 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM

I hear ya ....

no doubt the work on the car was top notch everything looked great, the colour is not for me but that is my taste, I just think that for 70K less that person coulda bought the barney fife mobile!! c/mon man came signed by Big Don hisself...

it just shows I am outta touch 192k just seems over the top, but 110 for the BFife mobile is obscene ....
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM

I agree with both Kurt and Z11375SS (that sounds like Chevy-speak for '69 pace car with an L78?).

B-J is merely going by the owner's script. They claim they make sure everything is kosher, but I think only under the law, not for the consumer.

So, yes, caveat emptor, although I think that's kinda lame because a multi-million dollar company like B-J (and any other auction house) should engender more customer service (read: trust) and correct any red flags that may appear.
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Guys, if well to do morons want to push up the price of our cars why complain? Yes, I realize that it cuts some folks out of the game who don't have the $$$, but not everyone can share in everything.....we are a capitalist society remember!!

Also true is that many folks that have a rolling piece of junk watch BJ and think they can get $50K for their car. Well, what they think doesn't matter cause they won't....well unless one of those rich alcoholics stumbles into their garage. But, what are the odds of that?????

Car collecting is not a poor man's game. And I think that generally that it only helps the whole game when the folks that do collect can afford to take care of the vehicle. I think I've seen several posts here where folks complain about how mistreated a car has been, or when a car has a weird custom paint job etc.

The auction house I really dispise however is Mecum. Those guys seem to abuse the owners; at least that is what I see on TV. However, I've never been to these things.....though I have had conversations with Russo and Steele........so in the end I can't say anything with absolute certainty about the auction houses.

This discussion reminds me of an experience last year when I was looking at another 442. I drove 80 miles to PA to view the car. On the phone the owner told me it was in show condition and recently restored. The asking price was $55K. When I got there I saw that the car (which was yellow) had 2 tones to it. The back was a good MAACO paint job and the front was duller. I inquired about this (as I though the car was restored) and he told me that the front paint was in good shape so he only "restored" the paint from the doors back....uhhh? Well, then upon opening the doors I noticed a sort of brownish almost **** carpet. Of course I asked about that and was told the old carpet was no good so he replaced (yes he did) with this stuff. He told me it was high quality carpet he bought from Home Depot. Well, at this point I was just laughing to myself.....but just for kicks I asked if I could take it for a test drive. Well it did actually start....didn't run too smooth, but the real excitement came when rolling over the slightest bump.....clearly the shocks in the car were looser then a 2 dollar hooker. Maybe he got his $55K......who knows !!!
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
Guys, if well to do morons want to push up the price of our cars why complain? Yes, I realize that it cuts some folks out of the game who don't have the $$$, but not everyone can share in everything.....we are a capitalist society remember!!

Also true is that many folks that have a rolling piece of junk watch BJ and think they can get $50K for their car. Well, what they think doesn't matter cause they won't....well unless one of those rich alcoholics stumbles into their garage. But, what are the odds of that?????

Car collecting is not a poor man's game. And I think that generally that it only helps the whole game when the folks that do collect can afford to take care of the vehicle. I think I've seen several posts here where folks complain about how mistreated a car has been, or when a car has a weird custom paint job etc.

The auction house I really dispise however is Mecum. Those guys seem to abuse the owners; at least that is what I see on TV. However, I've never been to these things.....though I have had conversations with Russo and Steele........so in the end I can't say anything with absolute certainty about the auction houses.

This discussion reminds me of an experience last year when I was looking at another 442. I drove 80 miles to PA to view the car. On the phone the owner told me it was in show condition and recently restored. The asking price was $55K. When I got there I saw that the car (which was yellow) had 2 tones to it. The back was a good MAACO paint job and the front was duller. I inquired about this (as I though the car was restored) and he told me that the front paint was in good shape so he only "restored" the paint from the doors back....uhhh? Well, then upon opening the doors I noticed a sort of brownish almost **** carpet. Of course I asked about that and was told the old carpet was no good so he replaced (yes he did) with this stuff. He told me it was high quality carpet he bought from Home Depot. Well, at this point I was just laughing to myself.....but just for kicks I asked if I could take it for a test drive. Well it did actually start....didn't run too smooth, but the real excitement came when rolling over the slightest bump.....clearly the shocks in the car were looser then a 2 dollar hooker. Maybe he got his $55K......who knows !!!

I'm not a rich man but I still collect cars,but then I'll buy what the rich guy won't and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty fixing it.However because of these auctions and the prices that the rich guy is willing to spend it makes it harder to buy a car when people think it's worth more than it is.

Quick Reply: did anybody see the 69 442 sold at barret jackson last night???