General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dick Miller

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2023, 06:53 AM

Dick Miller

I just felt the need to share this. Posted a question to Dick Miller on their site about the Speedmaster heads.
Asked what their experience was and why they were listed as big block only. Was it due to the chamber size?
got a two word answer back:
CHINESE JUNK.
No reasons, no explanation, no supporting info to back anything up. Just those two words.
Apparently a miserable guy.
Old November 11th, 2023, 07:09 AM

IMO the only time he is happy is when you are sending money his way. At least you got an answer...
Old November 11th, 2023, 08:48 AM

Simple and straight answer, Chinese Junk
Old November 11th, 2023, 11:04 AM

People that say "Chinese junk" aren't giving any reasons. Can anyone do more than just say junk?
what's the problem with them ?
Old November 11th, 2023, 11:48 AM

I don’t know much about these heads, but much of the manufacturing that have moved from the USA to other countries is associated with a dramatic drop in quality, fit and parts longevity. Leading to the accusations of chinese junk.

Beyond that, there are some parts which are made there and elsewhere which are counterfeit and foul up even those of us trying to get good parts. This problem goes from computer parts, to auto parts to clothing. I only hope it doesn’t extend to aircraft parts… Ugh…

Finally there’s a good deal of resentment built up over the loss of manufacturing and other jobs to other countries whose wage and environmental practices are good for owners and managers, but not necessarily working people.

Without getting too political, that’s about as politely as I can put it.

Chris
Old November 11th, 2023, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cfair
I don’t know much about these heads, but much of the manufacturing that have moved from the USA to other countries is associated with a dramatic drop in quality, fit and parts longevity. Leading to the accusations of chinese junk.

Beyond that, there are some parts which are made there and elsewhere which are counterfeit and foul up even those of us trying to get good parts. This problem goes from computer parts, to auto parts to clothing. I only hope it doesn’t extend to aircraft parts… Ugh…

Finally there’s a good deal of resentment built up over the loss of manufacturing and other jobs to other countries whose wage and environmental practices are good for owners and managers, but not necessarily working people.

Without getting too political, that’s about as politely as I can put it.

Chris
Thanks for the response Chris. I have been a mechanic for over 30 years. Built quite a few 10 and 11 second SBC cars. Just lexploring something different. The Edelbrock heads are twice the cost. I feel like from what I have read/ seen online, if you have your machinist set these up correctly, you should have a decent set of entry level heads.
I already have a 403 with a hydraulic roller cam ( 224/ 230 at .050) and 4a heads. Rund mid to low 13's. Got the engine out and apart and am looking to do some upgrades. Next larger cam, possibly a victor intake.
Car has 3.42 gears and an ATI 10" Converter.
will be putting flat top pistons in it this go around. Has the stock dished pistons in it at .040.
That combination ran pretty good. Heads had the stock 2" valves.
Currently using a Performer RPM intake and a flowed 750 carb.
Old November 11th, 2023, 01:21 PM

With your kind of experience, you might do well with these heads since you’d be able to read the quality markers better than many of us. Since I can’t read quality differences, if I were in the market, I’d likely go for Edelbrock heads. As it is, my street cars (a ‘66 98 convertible and ‘66 Starfire) have no real need for high performance parts. Especially as I’m 59…

The cost argument is compelling, but the two-word description above might be better put as “buyer beware”.

Wishing you good luck with your build whatever you decide. Engine building is well beyond what I can do, but I’m not too bad with electrical and carbs for street cars.

Cheers
Chris
Old November 11th, 2023, 04:57 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

How far were your pistons in hole? Were the 4A unmilled? My 4A measured at 86cc, they are very restrictive especially on the exhaust side. I would say you did pretty well with very low compression.
Old November 11th, 2023, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
How far were your pistons in hole? Were the 4A unmilled? My 4A measured at 86cc, they are very restrictive especially on the exhaust side. I would say you did pretty well with very low compression.
The block was zero decked. Heads milled .030.
It pulled pretty good.
Old November 11th, 2023, 05:35 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

If the 4A were unported, they will be a good gain. Be warned the Olds Rocket parts 69cc 403 Procomp head actually measured 71 and 72cc, according to a member here. No matter what set you buy, you will need different valves springs than what they come with for your roller cam.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; November 11th, 2023 at 07:54 PM.
Old November 11th, 2023, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
If tge 4A were unported, they will be a good gain. Be warned the Olds Rocket parts 69cc 403 Procomp head actually measured 71 and 72cc, according to a member here. No matter what set you buy, you will need different valves springs than what they come with for your roller cam.
Ty. I'm planning on having my machinist set them up. He's pretty sharp. Runs a 7 second dragster.