General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dealer options, tax, license?

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM

Dealer options, tax, license?

1970 98. No window sticker or build sheet. I know what the original owner paid for the car due to detailed notes he kept about the check amount, financing, etc. I am sure about most of the options and pretty sure about a couple others (I think it had heavy duty suspension due to the diameter of the sway bar, I think he probably had factory floor mats, etc.) However, adding up the MSRP plus options brings me a couple hundred short of what he recorded the "invoice" to be. Could "invoice" include tax and license on top of the price on the window sticker? If so, is there any way on God's green earth to figure out what tax and license would be in Colorado in 1970? Also, when I dropped the tank last week (looking for the build sheet) I noticed it had undercoat, which I assume was dealer applied. I have a list of factory options from the GM heritage site, but is there any way to find out what dealer options were available and the cost? Or did each dealer sort of do their own thing? One more thing, why couldn't the original owner have just taken the window sticker off and put it in the envelope with the manual, protecto plate and all the other stuff so I would be going crazy now???
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Each dealer did his own thing!
Back then, I saw 'undercoating' go for anything between $100 to $500!
Sometimes they'd send it out and have it 'Ziebarted' and double the price!
[look for plugs in the doors and qtrs.]
I was at a Caddy dealer that charged $1000 for 'Golden Eagle' tires - our cost was less than half!
'Teflon stain preventer' for the interior, was another good one - $199-399, depending on the size of your vehicle.
No way to tell who charged what for anything [or nothing], back then.