General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cutlass "S" Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2021, 02:05 PM

Cutlass "S" Mirrors

Hey all, (1969 Cutlass "S" my drivers side remote mirror is loose, there is one screw but its apparently just decoration. The other screw hole is impossible to put a screw into. Do I need to just put a longer sheet metal one in the one hole or is it a tapped hole? Also I have no mirror on the passenger side and no holes, did they come like that? Thanks!
Old March 7th, 2021, 02:12 PM

The drivers side remote doesn't have a matching one on the passengerside. In 1968-69 the only passengerside mirror matched the non-remote drivers side mirror. Then the screw, the mirror came from the factory with fasteners that run from the inside of the door out. They were tightened with an allen wrench from the outside. I've got a loose one of these somewhere in the garage, if nobody comes up with a photo for you I'll see if I can.
Old March 7th, 2021, 02:15 PM

Cool, I figured the passenger side was not remote. They must have lost the allen screw when previous owner had the paint done.
Old March 7th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

The screws look like the ones in this photo. Most people don't realize that the allen recess is in the small end and that you insert the allen wrench through the hole in the mirror base. Even when you do it correctly, these screws frequently sieze up and the allen recess is so small that it rounds out if you use any force. Plus, since you're driving the screw from the small end, it turns backwards (CCW to tighten the screw against the inside of the door, CW to loosen). Most people give up and drill them out. Fusick sells the correct screws, but I don't think they have them listed in the catalog. I got mine from them at an OCA Nationals.

Old March 7th, 2021, 04:20 PM
Randy C.

As well, a passsenger side mirror for '68 and '69 is not an option; it is a "dealer accessory". It was possible that a car could be ordered with a remote driver side mirror and that a passenger side non-remote mirror be installed at the dealership, although the two mirrors don't match. This was discussed previously on this site and there are a couple of people on this site whose cars are that way.

Randy C.
Old March 7th, 2021, 04:27 PM

Since it has not been mentioned specifically, just know that you do not need to take these screws all the way out to get the mirror off or put it on. You loosen the screw enough to move the mirror front or back (I can't remember which but I think you move it back once the screws are loose to get it off). The door has holes punched in it large enough to fit the screw heads through. Those holes are connected to slots. When installing the mirror, the screws are in the mirror, but loose. Put the mirror on, fitting the screw heads through the holes in the door. Move the mirror to the end of the slots and tighten the screws (turn counter clockwise) to secure the mirror. This would only be the case on the factory punched holes in the driver door, not holes drilled in a passenger door for a dealer added mirror.

Last edited by Loaded68W34; March 7th, 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old March 7th, 2021, 05:38 PM

Awesome thanks for the info, the "deco" screw threw me off. I found a diagram in my chassis book, will hit it with some PB blaster see if I can get it off so I can replace the gasket. Any idea what size allen wrench?

sis book