General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cutlass Insurance

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:51 AM

Cutlass Insurance

Hey guys I don't know if this topic has been discussed much before but what ,who and where and how much $ ,do people get there Cutlass' insured for the year .I want to be able to jump in and go for a spin any time I want and not to be restricted by the Insurance company.Is there such a policy available or am I dreaming?
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:58 AM

I've used Hagerty for years. Few restrictions, good rates and no problems with stated value coverage.
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:12 AM

Have you ever had a claim?
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by 61reoldsman
I want to be able to jump in and go for a spin any time I want and not to be restricted by the Insurance company.
I don't think you'd have a problem with something like this. I do this all the time. What the collector car insurance companies basically want is for you to not use the car in any kind of daily driver capacity. They don't want you driving it to work or school or shopping or to the doctor's office or any situation where it will be regularly left unattended in a public place. So taking it to car shows, cruise-ins, parades, touring, or just the Sunday drive like you talk about is fine.

They'll also want you to keep it parked in a locked garage when not in use, and some companies will want you to prove that you own another car that is not insured as a collector car to demonstrate to them that you really do have another car to use as a daily driver.

Often there will be a yearly mileage restriction, but that's often negotiable, and more miles per year might mean a slightly higher price. What will also determine the rate you pay is the car's value, and that will be up to the insurance company and you to agree on as well.

The best thing to do is call a place like Hagerty, or J. C. Taylor, which I've long used, and ask. Get quotes from a few places. Then decide.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM

Collector car policies are the best for these cars, as you agree on a value, and pay a premium based on that amount. I have Grundy on mine, and while not made any claims myself, known some who have, and hasn't been a problem. Most of these type policies have the same stipulations though. The car must be garaged, with proof of a daily car, insured through a standard carrier. Usually pics to show the car actually exists, and sometimes copies of current tag registrations. My car's insured for $20K, for an annual premium of $150 bucks. Not sure the situation in CAN, but if your car's an un-garaged daily driver, probably stuck with daily insurance no matter what. Wouldn't expect much of a pay out on a total wreck this way.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Cutlass Lover

This has been discussed many times on the forum. Put "Agreed Value Insurance" up in the search box and it will pull up many threads on the subject and you can read them. I have Hagerty - no claims.
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM
delete

I notice you are in Canada. Not all companies service all areas. I'd pick up a copy of Hemmings Muscle machines and call the insurance advertisers listed. The usual suspects are Hagerty, Grundy Heacock...

i am with hagerty and have been pleased. I had a claim for a windshield and it was no questions asked. I have also used the roadside assistance for a dead battery.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:36 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ive used J.C. Taylor for the last 25 years. I have heard nothing but good when it comes time, god forbid, when there is a need for a claim.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:58 AM

I used Hagerty. Easy to do with agree value, but I have not made any claims (knock on wood)!
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Ive used J.C. Taylor for the last 25 years. I have heard nothing but good
My situation exactly. I've had them since 1991. Never a problem, although I've never made a claim.
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
Administrator

The only suggestion is make sure you get Agree'd value. If it's a Stated value beware! Do some research!
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM

I just got $20,000 agreed value on my 65 for $163 a year through Grundy, the rep said the only requirement is that it not be a daily driver/primary car. Can't beat that it's only about $50 more than liability only through my old company.
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:53 PM
Olds Fever

J. C. Taylor is my choice..... 5 vehicles for $479/year.... The thing I really like about J. C. Taylor is that there is no charge for liability coverage after the third vehicle as long as you have comprehensive and collision....
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
The thing I really like about J. C. Taylor is that there is no charge for liability coverage after the third vehicle as long as you have comprehensive and collision....
Ha! I'm guessing this is simple logic. Collision and comprehensive are for damage to the vehicles. If your five cars are, say, stored in a single building, and that building catches fire, burns down, and destroys all five cars in the process, that's one thing.

But liability is damage YOU cause to someone else. I guess they figure that, if you've had two accidents where you were at fault and caused pain and suffering to the other driver, at minimum either your license would be taken away, or you'd be laid up in the hospital and couldn't drive anyway. Either way, you couldn't get in an accident with the third, fourth, or fifth cars in your garage.

In other words, you may have five cars, but there's only ONE of you!

And I don't mean "you" personally. This type of policy and the logic behind it is true for anyone with more than two cars.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 1st, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

No mileage restrictions with Hagerty and they encourage you to joy ride,after all, this is what you bought your car for.

Before I bought my policy I checked around reading on line reviews,Hagerty is the only company I found that everyone said they were totally satisfied with the way their claim was handled,found a few unhappy customers with the other companies. Also mileage restrictions with all the other companies.

$189 a year got me an agreed value policy of $15,000 and road side assistance that can be used 4 times a year.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; May 1st, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM

I have Collectors Car Insurance in Cherry Hill NJ I believe. 30K in agreed value for $211. I have had them for years and they automatically up the agreed value 3% per year. I recently did a restoration and upped from 11k to 30 with no problem.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM

I use Hagerty.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM

I also use Hagerty. No problems/no claims so far so I couldnt tell you anything further. around $180 for the year I believe.
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM

I have jc taylor for my 72 cutlass 442 conv I have a 455 I'm paying 488 a year with 30,000 coverage living in brooklyn ny.Is that alot of money for insurance and what would be the value of my car in todays market all my interior was done over engine is in mint condition.
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:23 PM

I'd say your valuation of the car at $30,000 is pretty much right on. I think you pay what you do for your insurance as much because of where you live as anything else. I have to believe that living in New York City has some effect on insurance rates and that you would pay less if you lived in a smaller city or a rural area.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 20th, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:40 PM

I have J.C. Taylor and im paying $238 full coverage for both of my Cutlass and i, too, live in Brooklyn, NY.
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ELY442
I have J.C. Taylor and im paying $238 full coverage for both of my Cutlass and i, too, live in Brooklyn, NY.
What are your cars valued at? While location certainly accounts for some of what anyone might pay for insurance, I'm sure the most important consideration is the valuation of the car being insured. ELECMAN is paying $488 per year on a car valued at $30,000. I'm guessing that, if you're paying half what he's paying, your cars together are valued at a lower amount.

Other things matter, too, in what you pay for car insurace. Driving record, accident record, security of the vehicle's storage, etc.
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:52 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by 61reoldsman
Thanks for all the responses guys

Just curious to see if you've made a choice yet?
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:40 PM

What are your cars valued at?

My 70 Cutlass Sport Coupe is value at $10k and my 70 Cutlass Convt is ay $12k.
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:51 PM

My 70 Cutlass Sport Coupe is value at $10k and my 70 Cutlass Convt is ay $12k.

What are your cars valued at?
So that's $22,000 together, and you're paying $238 while ELECMAN is paying $488 for a single car valued at $30,000. It does sound like you're getting a better deal by paying half as much for two-thirds the coverage, but, as I said, there are probably other differences between your two situations.

It could be something as simple as age and marital status or the two together. Everything else being equal, I'm guessing the rate would be higher for a 30-year-old single male versus a 60-year-old married one. In the end, we have to be careful not to be comparing apples and oranges.

Anyone with a high dollar-value car, and to me that means anything over $10,000, should get quotes from several companies and compare just the way you would for homeowner's insurance, life insurance, or any other insurance you buy.

For the record, my two cars are valued together at $11,000 ($8,000 for the convertible and $3,000 for the wagon). I just got my renewal, and I pay $162 per year with J.C. Taylor. I'm also 55 years old and married.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 20th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:58 PM

I'm guessing the rate would be higher for a 30-year-old single male versus a 60-year-old married one.

I dont ever remember J.C. Taylor ever asked me for my martial status and age. They did asked me for pics of my car in an 3/4 angle. And i also remember that if i asked for a higher car value, they were going to send a guy for my car to be appraised.
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM

I dont ever remember J.C. Taylor ever asked me for my martial status and age.
I would be very surprised if J.C. Taylor doesn't know how old you are. Look on the top right corner of the first page of your policy. That's where my birth date is listed on mine. I'm sure you had to provide your date of birth when you first applied for the insurance. It's my understanding that many collector car insurance companies won't issue a policy to anyone under a certain age like 25 or 30, depending on the company.

Maybe they don't ask for marital status. I'm not saying that every insurance company does, or even that any do, at least as far as insuring collector cars. That's why I said that the difference between what you're paying and what ELECMAN is paying COULD be as simple as differences in age and/or marital status. I didn't say it WAS the reason. I don't know. I'm just tossing out ideas.

What I AM saying is that both age and marital status are very much a consideration in car insurance rates generally, especially for young drivers.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM

i use Grundy, with an agreed value of $31,000 (with appraisal certificate). i pay $304.00 per year. my agent tells me to and from car events, parades, repair, maintenance & test drives. there is no "days of the week" restriction, so i can drive on a tuesday or i can drive on a saturday or whichever day, as long as it's to or from one of the above appointments. so i basically make sure i have a story ready anytime i take out my car, whether it's true or not. 95% of the time it's true, but sometimes i'll take the kids to get ice cream or something like that where i need to fabricate an excuse as to why i'm driving it. my insurance agency basically advised me to do so, not in so many words. giving someone a ride would not a good reason, neither would bar hopping, LOL.

for example, i like to drive my car to work once in a while so a few of my interested co-workers can check it out as i make upgrades and modifications. my story - "i need to get my tires rotated and the only time i can do it is on my lunch break"...so there's my maintenance. my agent also told me that 99% of the time, the reason you were driving the car never even gets brought up in the event of a claim, unless it happens at 1 or 2 A.M. or something strange like that.

i DID NOT have to present my daily driver policy, i DID have to present pics of the car 360 degrees around, under the hood, and interior. i DID NOT have to present receipts. i DID supply my appraisal certificate, although they did not require it. i DID NOT have to prove the car is garaged either.

my policy is up for renewal in july...i think i will check out JC Taylor then. my granfather uses them for the 67 Mustang GTA and he loves them, i think they are a bit cheaper than Grundy. also, i have made some significant upgrades since my last appraisal which i believe should be compensated for....power disc brakes, tubular upper/lower front control arms, & performance steering linkage. the appraiser i used before wanted to see any receipts i had for consideration in the value, so i save them all for that reason.

Last edited by 1965cutlassragtop; May 21st, 2012 at 12:21 PM.