General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cup holders standard?

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2020, 07:03 AM

Cup holders standard?

One of the comments from the The Finished Project thread got me thinking, when did cup holders become standard in cars? What cars first had them? The first car I can recall having them was my 95 GMC step side pickup (first new vehicle I bought new). Was the cup holder addition a “huh! Why wasn’t this done sooner?!” moment?
Old April 10th, 2020, 07:35 AM

This probably doesn't count as a "legitimate" cup-holder, but I distinctively remember that when the glove-box was opened in our family's '66 Impala, there were 3 shallow, round indentations on the inside of the glove-box door where we sit our drinks when we were at the drive-in (eats or movies). The door opened just the right amount that these spots were pretty darn level too. Of course, these would not be suitable for use when driving down the road. I don't recall seeing that on any other car, but this article indicates Chevy started this in '57.

This article gives credit to the first mini-vans for the first factory cup-holders in the early '80s.
Old April 10th, 2020, 10:03 AM

It was not minivans in the 80s, it was real vans in the 70s. Cupholders started aftermarket as things that would sit on the engine cowl, then later became "custom installed" on new vans as part of the **** wagon phenomenon. the van craze was about comfort and camping and sex, so beverages were important, and it was a change from either the utilitarian theme of a family car, or the performance of a sports car, to the decadence of what were basically slackers driving around rolling bordellos with girls trading a free ride for a free ride. I can say these things since I own one of those vans and may be the only person on the board who does.
Old April 10th, 2020, 10:44 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Cool subject Matt,
Officially the 83 Caravan/Voyager holds the title as we think of it today...an integral factory molded designation for cups with the vehicle in motion. It was the theme of the caravans. A new revolutionary family hauler updated from the wagons of the past with modern conveniences for parents on the run.

The high-end coach build cars (ie limos) of the 20-50s and beyond such as Cadillacs, Rolls-Ryce, Packards etc all had forms of "beverage stations" for the leisurely old fashion or martini while the chauffeur drove you to the red carpet event.... mini-bar style. Think bottle and cup holders!

Then the Van craze Koda mentions. Dad had two custom painted vans with ****, tuft, sound. CBs and of course many custom made cup/ash tray holders on the engine cover and throughout the interior. Miss the real vans.

Late 70 early 80 the aftermarket K-Mart auto accessory department made many versions of the two cup molded plastic holders that sat on the driveshaft tunnel with barbs that gripped the rug and held it in place...most of the time. I had one in both of my 72 Impalas to hold beer and 8 track/cassette tapes.

So I guess there isn't a single wrong answer.

Here is a cool shot glass option on the 57 Eldorado kind of what Johnny was thinkin about. Line em up!

Try that today!

Old April 10th, 2020, 02:09 PM

Early 70's Blazers and GMC Jimmy's came with them in their consoles.

Old April 10th, 2020, 03:57 PM
Frank Ignachuck

My '56 has no cup holders. You threw your beer cans out the windows in those days.

But it does have three ashtrays and four vent windows for flicking out ashes and cigarette butts.