General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

insanity reigns! Oregon NO LONGER proposing a tax on cars more than 20 years old

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2017, 12:17 PM

insanity reigns! Oregon NO LONGER proposing a tax on cars more than 20 years old

Here we go... $1,000 for five years but must be paid upfront all at once. When I was young for several years all I could afford was clunkers. This will impact that market significantly.

They said it doesn't apply for collector cars, but I'll have to get antique auto plates for my cars to qualify for that. There's a limit on how many miles I can drive with those kinds of plates.

http://jalopnik.com/proposed-oregon-...ear-1792227249
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:37 PM

I think that is horrible, most folks can barely afford a 5 year old car. What they are trying to do is minimize the amount of older/dangerous and smog polluting cars on the road. I get that, but the law makers (the one's who always have the money) don't know what its like to struggle their way through college or put food on the table.

On top of it each new car uses a lot of natural resources to build it and ship it. I'm not against buying new either but it goes both ways. Too many people spend too much time complaining about one side or the other.
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:41 PM

Hmmm, hope NJ doesn't see this. 1995 and older daily drivers require NO inspections or emission test. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop...
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
They said it doesn't apply for collector cars, but I'll have to get antique auto plates for my cars to qualify for that. There's a limit on how many miles I can drive with those kinds of plates.
I would become a wizard in removing and installing the speedo cluster. Just have to change the odometer before an inspection.
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Old School Olds

Libratards rule in Oregon or so I've heard. I agree with you all, it's just not right. Back to the old argument, how to fight city hall. If it wasn't for the 75 to 200 buck cars back in the day, I bet a lot of us would have had a tougher time at barreling through life with kids in tow and just putting food on the table.

I get a kick out of the battery or hybrid type owners who are saving the world with 40 mpg or better. Good for you, more gas for me. Not that the concept is a bad idea and is also a good start, I would Love to own a Tesla...Just for the cool factor.

After we get the Keystone pipeline up and running, maybe between America and Canada it will help to revive the old car hobby once again. I see the kids in their 20's and 30's having a hard time keeping their 10 year old computerized daily's running with out spending a boatload of $$ on them to just keep their heads above water. And if they have a mortgage and more than one kid, about all we can do is wish them good luck
I'm sorry to say.

When they started eliminating auto shop and building trades in the high schools, it seems to me that some of younger ones have a block with working with their hands to get things done. It may just be me, but enough rambling from me guys. Hope all have a good weekend. Go out and burn some rubber if you can. That's always a good thing, yes?

Old February 10th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Stupid people making stupid Bills. This would hurt the lower and lower middle class very bad. Teens would also be hit hard. I wonder if you are credited if you sell the car in a year, ya right!

I wonder what the fine is for not have a vehicle registered and drive any way? In Indiana it is a $25 fine for not having trailer plates and trailer plates cost me around 70 a year.
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:31 PM

If you are an Oregonian and disagree with this, it is incumbent on you to make your view/voice/vote known to your legislators!
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:38 PM

Sounds like a back door way to scrap some older cars too.....if you cant pay the tax car gets seized and off to the scrapper!
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:43 PM

More ridiculous BS. They want the poor to not be able to drive or own a car. That is all I can say without being censored for being political. I have a feeling this won't be discussed on here for very long before it turns that way.
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
If you are an Oregonian and disagree with this, it is incumbent on you to make your view/voice/vote known to your legislators!
Yes I have and will share with other car guys in the state. I'm not going to discuss political parties as that's not what our site is about. But I will say that who we vote for does make a difference. Last year an issue came up that the state government held hearings on. About 200 people testified against the proposed action. Less than 10 people testified for it. The action was passed. Whatever we believe in, whatever we hold dear, we need to be informed and participate in the political process. And I really really hope this bill fails. I won't speculate on the reason for it, but as a recently retired person I would have to significantly downsize my car collection if it costs this much more to drive them. And my town isn't a large city. The local cops would surely notice me driving my old cars often, not just to car shows.
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Hookers under Hood

I read the article and it says the bill is dead? Perhaps not? I know they are wanting old cars off the road. I hear this alot on this side of the pond.
Kinda makes you think should we be spending money on restorations ? Rebuilding our old engine's?
I don't know where this will go in the near future.
All I know is I enjoy putting a few miles on my cutlass each summer , and really look forward to getting out of storage.
I think is going to be a sad day when they target older cars and want them off their roads so they say.
Pfffft we pay for their roads, so we should be able to drive what we own on them.
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:57 PM

So, if I understand right, there is such a thing as man made global warming, but let the other guy (or state, or country) deal with it......... right?

That being said, at least in Idaho, it is dirt cheap to plate a collector car. Waaaaaaay less than a DD, and the cops could care less how much you drive it.
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Randy C.

Just curious, John...does the newly proposed legislation say that you have to get an antique auto plate issued by the state or can you use era-correct plates purchased at a swap meet? As well, my collector car insurance won't let me drive each car over 2000 miles/year anyway but I don't come close to that. And, even though the state law here in WA limits how a person uses a collector car, they don't seem to monitor it that closely. I had a good friend with collector plates on his '67 Chevy pick-up and he drove it all over the place, used it for work, and about everything else.

In any case, it amazes me how the legislators come up with these wild ideas on how to collect more revenue. It still strikes me that better oversight on how the revenue is spent would be more cost effective than just continually trying to get more money.

Randy C.
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
So, if I understand right, there is such a thing as man made global warming, but let the other guy (or state, or country) deal with it......... right?

That being said, at least in Idaho, it is dirt cheap to plate a collector car. Waaaaaaay less than a DD, and the cops could care less how much you drive it.
Not sure I can afford to move, but maybe I need to join you in Idaho Randy
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Just curious, John...does the newly proposed legislation say that you have to get an antique auto plate issued by the state or can you use era-correct plates purchased at a swap meet? As well, my collector car insurance won't let me drive each car over 2000 miles/year anyway but I don't come close to that. And, even though the state law here in WA limits how a person uses a collector car, they don't seem to monitor it that closely. I had a good friend with collector plates on his '67 Chevy pick-up and he drove it all over the place, used it for work, and about everything else.

In any case, it amazes me how the legislators come up with these wild ideas on how to collect more revenue. It still strikes me that better oversight on how the revenue is spent would be more cost effective than just continually trying to get more money.

Randy C.
Several years ago I was at the DMV and asked about collector car plates here in Oregon. What I remember is they weren't focused so much on miles, but that you need to be driving to or from a car show. If this bill goes forward I'll have to look into it again and find out just what I can and can't do with historical plates or plates from the year the car was made.
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:12 PM

Several years ago I was at the DMV and asked about collector car plates here in Oregon. What I remember is they weren't focused so much on miles, but that you need to be driving to or from a car show. If this bill goes forward I'll have to look into it again and find out just what I can and can't do with historical plates or plates from the year the car was made.
Found it! Here's from the regs on collector car plates.

"Maintained as a collector item...at least 25 years old...may only be used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses. May use out of series plates or Special Interest plate, no expiration"
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
In any case, it amazes me how the legislators come up with these wild ideas on how to collect more revenue. It still strikes me that better oversight on how the revenue is spent would be more cost effective than just continually trying to get more money.Randy C.

AFREAKINMEN to that Brother.......
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:18 PM

Not sure I can afford to move, but maybe I need to join you in Idaho Randy
Come on over, there's a vacant lot right across the street..... (however, I think we would just as soon trade places with you, Idyho is a bit conservative for us)
Administrator

Same here in Texas.
Old School Olds

Randy C.[/QUOTE]

I so agree with this Randy. The bull$hit has gone on for so many years
and needs to stop. It all started going down hill when the Moms had to go
out and begin earning to help the Dads out. They were just trying to save
so their kids could have have something more than they had. The bureaucrats
saw that and thought Hmm, now let's put the squeeze on.
Been going on for what, 50 yrs?

Last edited by tru-blue 442; February 10th, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:39 PM

Wow, did you see the comments section?

Originally Posted by Shane
Cars older than 20 years are highly polluting death traps.
Some people are just morons. I guess they can't help it.
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Those are probably comments from 20y/o's...
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:54 PM

Found it! Here's from the regs on collector car plates.

"Maintained as a collector item...at least 25 years old...may only be used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses. May use out of series plates or Special Interest plate, no expiration"
John, that is the guideline in Illinois too. The cops rarely bother anyone and if they do, no matter what time of the year it is you could be bringing the car anywhere. I just brought the cutlass to the top shop, in the middle of winter, that's allowed. Any cop who pulls you over would have to follow you. Just tell them you are going to Joe's Carb shop
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:55 PM

It seems to me that Oregon legislators spent time watching Barrett Jackson or Mecum and figured out they had missed another "Golden Goose". Best hope this doesn't create a trend.

Wayne

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!
Old February 10th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wow, did you see the comments section?

Some people are just morons. I guess they can't help it.

Oh let me tell ya'
The guy that lives across the street from me always tells me my car stinks when I start it up in the driveway. I should really think about getting rid of it.
I told him he would really stink if he passed that much gas out of his a$$hole too!!
Sometimes I just blurt things out without thinking, however he's a jerk!!
Old February 10th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by stevengerard
John, that is the guideline in Illinois too. The cops rarely bother anyone and if they do, no matter what time of the year it is you could be bringing the car anywhere. I just brought the cutlass to the top shop, in the middle of winter, that's allowed. Any cop who pulls you over would have to follow you. Just tell them you are going to Joe's Carb shop
You don't have to be coming or going to a shop. Just tell them you were tuning it and taking it for a ride to see if everything is ok. A tune up does not require new parts, you can adjust old ones.
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:49 PM

So I have lived in Oregon most of my 56 plus years. This is typical of how much of Oregon is/ It is a shame. We used to be much different. I was just at the grocery store and the lady in front of me went off on the checker over what kind of bags we use. She said in California we did not tolerate that. Her adult daughter leaned over to me and said sorry quietly. I said hey if you like California so much why are you here? Oh can't afford it. Right. Go back and don't try to change us.

I have several vehicles like John. Only one would not be a under this rule. I drive a 97 Suburban most of the time and it has 260k on it. Put a fresh motor and trans in it at 230k just to play it safe. It runs great and has no issues and would pass what ever inspection they want. it is just another taxation without representation. Oh yes don't get me started. this is not the place for this. I will collector/classic plate everything if I have to.

My 2 cents

Larry
In Redmond Oregon
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:54 PM

It is part of a larger agenda to only allow car ownership to the elite upper class. Then tax you to keep public transportation alive. Less cars, less pollution and reliance on fossil fuels. Less highway expansion and maintenance. Don't realize that tax revenue is lost due to less tags and fees, and gas taxes. Then they will just raise some other tax. Sometimes I am grateful I won't see this world in 20-30 years.
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:02 PM

Now you have me wound up. They complain about grocery bags, paper or plastic. Tell them you remember when you paid a deposit and bottlers would reuse the glass bottles you returned. They won't have a clue. Ask them how much stuff is purchased and shipped to their house and all the packing materials used. How many replace a TV or computer that is working only to have the latest and greatest. What happened to appliance and tv repair? We have become a throw it away society, and that applies to vehicles also.
Rant number 2 over. I will try to stay away, but every time I get pulled back in.
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:18 PM

Maybe it is my friend George Dickel, but here comes rant 3.
I believe the country just may make a move back to my grandads era. They moved to the cities to get work, never had a drivers license. Jump a bus to work, walk to the corner grocery a few times a week, maybe to the bar to bring home a bucket of beer when company came, the produce guy drove down the alley weekly. Raise a family of five in a rowhome. Doctors would come to the house. Maybe taxi or bus to the center of the city once a year or so.
People who are serious about the environment should put their actions where their mouth is and live totally off the grid for 6 hrs a day. No electronics. No communication outside their family unit. Maybe we have just progressed to far.
Ok, I gotta turn the computer off now and just veg. Just getting wound too tight.
Of course their was no wellfare, no food stamps.

Last edited by m371961; February 10th, 2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spell
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Vote em out

Idiots straight outta Brainwash U. Partners with the law firm Do We Frigg Em And How. I'm an honest person but if this is how it's gonna be I think I'll adopt 100 dogs and register them to vote. I've got some dead relatives who got some votes left in em. Seriously in Mo I heard a politician was trying for this same thing.
Old February 10th, 2017, 07:06 PM

Come on over, there's a vacant lot right across the street..... (however, I think we would just as soon trade places with you, Idyho is a bit conservative for us)
Randy just curious, I'm on a deed in the Boise area and could licence my cars there how cheap is it for a classic or even a ricer that is 25 years old to get tags?... Tedd

PS i love Idaho and the rednecks that live there.
Old February 10th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Administrator

That's why I left New Jersey in 1978 and never looked back. I like it here in Texas most of the people are down to earth with the exception of a few major cities.
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Randy just curious, I'm on a deed in the Boise area and could licence my cars there how cheap is it for a classic or even a ricer that is 25 years old to get tags?... Tedd

PS i love Idaho and the rednecks that live there.
Tedd, any vehicle that is more than 30 years old can be registered as a classic. it costs $25.00 for the registration and rear plate (only one needed) and then $3.00 every 3 years thereafter. I like it!!
Old February 11th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=m371961;990463]
Ok, I gotta turn the computer off now and just veg. Just getting wound too tight.

Oh Man, Many are wound up tighter than a 13 hour clock ready for the bells to go off.
Many don't have a voice anymore, they don't care.They are doing what they want to do at will.
Many are hurting on both sides of the pond.
We just need to stay focused on our daily life, We can't get attached to anything anymore. Our family is the only attachment.
Luckily many of us here have enjoyed many things in life, we have grown up without many things that are available today.
We can do without tomorrow and survive, as for our love of Olds/old cars, well they went away years ago, and will probably go away in the years to come. We may and will most likely live to see it.
We have the memories real life experiences and pictures to talk about this for many years sitting in our rocking chairs on our deck.
We will all be OK no matter how they change up the world. My generation and your generation will survive, the millennials hmmm, they may just snap and loose it, not so sure.
Hope you can unwind and enjoy today Patrick!!
Cheers buddy
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; February 11th, 2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: My secretary is out, its me typing.
Old February 12th, 2017, 05:12 PM

This is just a continuing battle. Carbon tax is being talked about again. If that happens you'll be regulated on everything.
Old February 12th, 2017, 06:35 PM

Vote em out

if they don't own a classic they want a tax on it. If they don't drink or smoke they want a tax on it. If they don't mow their own lawn they want to tax lawn mower emissions. Stop the wasteful spending and get some common sense.
Old February 12th, 2017, 06:37 PM

P.s.

They even want to tax barbecue pit emissions. Say goodbye to your backyard steak😡
Old February 12th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
if they don't own a classic they want a tax on it. If they don't drink or smoke they want a tax on it. If they don't mow their own lawn they want to tax lawn mower emissions. Stop the wasteful spending and get some common sense.
Ditto elections have consequences.
Old February 13th, 2017, 03:36 AM

No problem here in Kansas yet.

Quick Reply: insanity reigns! Oregon NO LONGER proposing a tax on cars more than 20 years old