General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cruise Control Regulators Labels

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:39 PM

Cruise Control Regulators Labels

I'm currently in the process of reproducing the Perfect Circle labels located on the early cruise control regulators, (not transducers). Over the years the label's fade and finding replacements, currently are non existent. I found the following 6 part numbers used by Oldsmobile during the regulator years. Getting the background color as close to the originals has been the most difficult part. If any of our forums friends have pictures of near perfect labels, please forward them to me, i would be very interested. If i have missed any part number labels beside the 6 below please also let me know.

404224-Forest Green background (With Thin Indented Silver Outline Edge)
400371-Light Green background (With Thin Silver Outline Edge)
419977-Black background (No Outline Edge)
400401-Black background (With Thin Silver Outline Edge)
409597-Blue background (With Thin Silver Outline Edge)
554888-Silver Background?? (No Outline Edge, Black Lettering and Logo)
Old May 22nd, 2024, 08:48 PM

Not to dissuade you, but I’ve bought such decals along the way. Scour the net and you may figure out where. I can’t quite recall. Maybe Steele, Metro, RubberTheRightWay or similar.

I applaud availability of more, but don’t be under any illusions that this task has been ignored.

Honestly wishing you luck. If you want to learn more about Perfect Circle systems, look up my deep dive under my username. Relevant to Cadillac, Olds, Buick and maybe others.

Cheers
cf
Old May 23rd, 2024, 10:44 AM

Quite versed on the older Perfect Circle regulators used primarily on Oldsmobile and Pontiac and AMC i must add. Generally Chevy, Buick and Cadillac used Transducers, but not all. Would love your insight on Steele, Metro, RubberTheRightWay or others that may carry repo or even NOS that are exact to the originals. I wasn't able to find any scouring the web. Ames (Pontiac) carries a repo sticker which is not at all to the original, so definitely there is a need for the hobby. Hence reaching out to the forum to help validate the background colors a bit better. Logo and designs already completed as the 1.25 x 1.75 labels also carry across to Pontiac.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 06:21 PM

I would be interested in a 68 style for my Toronado. I have not found any available.

Old May 24th, 2024, 09:28 AM

Thanks for reminding me about Ames Performance. That is probably where I got my reproduction stickers. I was happy with them relative to the originals I had on my boneyard units long faded, torn and so on.

It sounds like you're aiming at good quality reproductions, very happy to hear about that. When you're ready, count me in for a few with the Olds version. If I recall it's green over a silver background. But you'll probably know better, I may be thinking about the Pontiac version.

For more on what little I know about the units, look here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...vicing-149215/

Cheers,
Chris
Old May 24th, 2024, 10:43 AM

That's correct, they will be high quality reproductions, utilizing original foil background where the silver holographs through for the edging, logos, part number and etc, 5 different designs (Colors, Edging Font size) were used for Pontiac and 6 for Oldsmobile (rectangular ones first, I know Olds has some circular logos too.) Working on the Pontiac ones as we speak, proofs have been approved, waiting for the final results from the printer, next up Oldsmobile. Will post to this forum when i have the Oldsmobile proofs ready for feedback before i go to the printer.

Last edited by compsur97; May 24th, 2024 at 06:35 PM.
Old May 24th, 2024, 07:44 PM

I don’t know what your target price point will be but $8-20 would be fine with me. Beyond $20, for a label, I’d have to think a bit, since it’s cosmetic.

Personally I’m more willing to pay dearly for brake drums, shoes, rotors and other getting-hard-to-find mechanical parts.

Not to say labels are not valuable, just to say there’s a limit out there somewhere about what people will pay for optional, as opposed to required parts..

If your pricing is higher, this is not my way of working you down. Please go to market with a price that rewards you for the work. Just thought I’d offer my $.02 in case it helps.

Chris
Old May 25th, 2024, 08:12 AM

Foremost is my restoration business in which i plan to use the labels, secondly others. Then why don't you get into repo mechanical parts!!
Old May 25th, 2024, 09:49 AM

First, thank you for taking on this project and I’m a player for a couple of 400371’s. I have 2 1968 Ninety Eights with cruise…and the green is a medium bright green…not what I would call light green (unless they have been wiped on.) I can get a Pantone book if needed. (See pics)

Hope this helps, Dave
Old May 26th, 2024, 05:16 PM

Hey Dave, those pics really help. Getting the colors just right is going to be my biggest challenge. In the 4 pics you provided pic 3 is far lighter than the greens in 1,2 and 4, likely due to angle, light or flash. I'd say pic 4 is the closest to the original green. Attached is another 400371 label I recently found. i would lean towards a more medium to darker green. I upload a sample of 404224 which used the same green and is fairly close your pic 4. Over the years, the original colors have faded considerably. Once i have the proofs, i share here to get feedback. To Chris's question, each most definitely will be below 20 bucks.

Old May 26th, 2024, 06:44 PM

You are correct, that lighter one was due to flash…I probably should not have posted it. Not sure of your time frame, but I should be able to borrow a Pantone book later this week…and that will determine the exact color for you. Let me know if that works…Dave
Old May 27th, 2024, 03:03 PM

Validating with Pantone would be great Dave, next week is fine.
Old June 3rd, 2024, 07:15 PM

Fun to watch. I welcome & would likely buy correct reproductions of the stickers. I’m color blind and not disappointed with quality of repro’s that I’ve bought, but better is _well_ better.

This may be of interest to you and/or customers who want to restore these fairly obscure Perfect Circle systems:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...vicing-149215/

I didn’t realize there was/is a relationship between Dana and Perfect Circle.

As disclaimer, after all the hours I put in tuning/restoring mine, still haven’t hooked ‘em up on the road. Probably lack of courage, or maybe older & wiser.

Chris