General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Creepy situation

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2015, 07:16 PM

Creepy situation

In the past two months I have had two people show up out of the blue to buy Oldsmobile parts. No call, no email, no nothing, just showed up. Tonight I had a guy from 3 hours away show up and buy $450 worth parts. Of all things, I was installing a surveillance camera setup when he showed up. I ask him how he knew about me and he said he heard there was an Olds guy in brazil Indiana and just came looking for me. He said he found a police officer and ask him and he told him where I live. All the police in the area know me but not sure why they would tell them where I live? I have been known to do similar things looking for Oldsmobiles and parts but not with a 3 hour drive. I am glad I am setting up this camera system. Plan to get a good dog soon also, likely a Chow.
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
In the past two months I have had two people show up out of the blue to buy Oldsmobile parts. No call, no email, no nothing, just showed up. Tonight I had a guy from 3 hours away show up and buy $450 worth parts. Of all things, I was installing a surveillance camera setup when he showed up. I ask him how he knew about me and he said he heard there was an Olds guy in brazil Indiana and just came looking for me. He said he found a police officer and ask him and he told him where I live. All the police in the area know me but not sure why they would tell them where I live? I have been known to do similar things looking for Oldsmobiles and parts but not with a 3 hour drive. I am glad I am setting up this camera system. Plan to get a good dog soon also, likely a Chow.
Please get something other than a Chow. They are too unpredictable. I had a friend who's chow turned on his wife after 13 years of no problems and eat her up pretty good. Yerman Yeperds are great for this type work.
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:36 PM

I agree, I got a Shepherd a couple years ago, greatest dog ever. He doesn't really like people that much, but he likes me and my friends and family, that's all that reallly matters. If someone tries to break in and they have a friendly dog with them though, my guy will probably go running off to play with the dog while they load their trailer ha ha. If they figure out how to disengage the trip wire, that is...
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Well, most folks are honest, but many are not.

My garage would kill an intruder in an avalanche of heads. i worry about it attacking me.
Old May 16th, 2015, 08:06 PM

I have had two Chows growing up. If you get them as a pup and work with them very regular for the first year they are great dogs. You have to be a little aggressive with them in the first year. The biggest thing on Chows is don't pin them up. They need to run free. Also need to come from a good bloodline.
Old May 16th, 2015, 08:50 PM

All the chows I've ever encountered are Richards if you know what I mean. I prefer shepards myself as I think they are a little more intimidating but good luck in what ever you get.
I get calls quite often saying they got my name & number from so & so or from a website but have never had people just show up at my place?!
Old May 16th, 2015, 09:07 PM
same but different

That experience might creep me out. He bought some parts and everything is ok?

It goes to show you that word of mouth or the grape vine still works, even with police officers. The incredible interwebs might have played a part or two.

Good idea on the security system (cameras). Dogs are still proven to be one of the best parts of that system. There are other options too, but be careful out there.
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Just don't get a Golden Retriever. They love everybody.
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

X3 gs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0002.jpg (21.4 KB, 51 views)
Old May 17th, 2015, 07:21 AM

I mentioned in an ad seeking my car's original engine once, the address. I got a warning alert from a concerned citizen out west, telling me beware folks that steal stuff. I laughed and laughed. First, the gate, no big deal. The dead car, that can be moved I guess. Then the dead truck, a bit of a project. Then the garage and the alarm and neighbors and dogs. Maybe. Then the pile of stuff atop the car- which one is it anyhow? It'd be quite a project. I did remove the address anyhow just in case.
Old May 17th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
X3 gs
Good boy.
Old May 17th, 2015, 01:10 PM

X3 gs
That's a good looking dog.
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Rodision ridgeback, best dog ever, security dog bark and 80 pounds to mess with.
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:47 PM

For years I had a gun shop in my house and it was always a worry who was friend or foe.I always had a dog usually a Springier but sometimes a Airedale.Never had a problem when I had the Airedale. Bigger is better whether it has a attitude or not.

Still have a springier and now have a new puppy to take the place of our recent loss of Jammers a Lab Boxer mix.Meet Kaiser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0873.JPG (131.7 KB, 46 views)
Old May 17th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Intragration
That's a good looking dog.
Thanks, she is the first GS we have had, smart as a wip. She is an American GS, a little leaner than a typical GS. I don't think we will have another bread.

I agree good bloodline, work with an intelligent animal, and you will have a good guard and pet.

Dogs are always the great unknown to someone who is not suppose to be there.
Old May 17th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

German shepherds and similar large breeds are nice, and I do like them, but on a practical level, they eat a lot, shed a lot, crap a lot, and need to run a lot.
Not a problem if you're way out on a good plot of land, but if you live in town and spend a lot of time at work, they can be too much.

I've got a small dog, about 20 pounds, who seems to be a mix between a dachshund and a chihuahua - she's low and long, with a mouth that's about a fifth of her body length and a bark like a dog about four times her size.
She's also dumb as a rock, extremely territorial, and, like the '70s underground cartoon character robot Ranxerox, has only two emotions: absolute love, and homicidal rage.

24 hours a day, if there's anyone near the house, she's up, paying attention, and going after them.
If anyone approaches the house when she is out, she will bite them.
She has absolutely no common sense, and will attack anyone, of any size, at any time, if they are on her property (she's a sweetheart if she's 20' from the property line), but will accept them if she's told to.
She has bitten a few people who have walked the 30' up our driveway to where her lead ends, ignored the barking, growling, fur at attention, and bared teeth, and approached her (they always seem surprised).
I have also had to install plexiglass panels over the lower panes of glass that surround the side door, as she has run THROUGH the glass to go after deliverymen.
She was maced by the mailman once, about 13 years ago (she's about 15 or 16), and all it did was make her pause for a minute (I bought him a bottle as a goodwill gesture).
Also, around the same time, a man who "obviously didn't belong in the neighborhood" walked into our livingroom through the unlatched screen door while my wife was in the kitchen, she ran out when she heard the noise and saw the screen door closing, went outside and watched the dog chasing said individual all the way down the long block, until he ran into traffic to get away from her, so, yeah, the dog's got our backs.

Is she an ideal guard dog? Hell no - she's a bit small, and dangerously unpredictable.
But, a supermarket cooked chicken will feed her for four days, you can pick up a week's crap with one ZipLock baggie, she doesn't shed at all, she is absolutely devoted to protecting us, and she WILL F-up anyone who tries to enter the house, whether we are there or not.

So, I'm not saying anything against the established breeds, but just pointing out that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and if you get the right dog, no matter who its momma is, you can't go wrong.

- Eric
Old May 18th, 2015, 04:52 PM

Get a few beer cans, shoot em full of holes and hang them from the trees by the property line... It will get the idea across.... ;-)
Old May 18th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I had an australian shepherd golden retriever mix and no one could come on my property with out him growling and barking at them . I had to let them In and once he saw they where not a threat he would slowly warm up to them. But if we where not home and I sent my neighbor to check on something in the house all bets where off . Outside the property he was very fun loving and social dog . The ex ended up with that dog .
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I have had two Chows growing up. If you get them as a pup and work with them very regular for the first year they are great dogs. You have to be a little aggressive with them in the first year. The biggest thing on Chows is don't pin them up. They need to run free. Also need to come from a good bloodline.
Same thing with Shepherds, they are not get them and forget them. Shepherds thrive on training and exercise. It's amazing what they can do with some good training. My cousins would hear my uncles car drive up and open the front door and sit waiting for him to come in.
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Beer Connoisseur

My security detail. Incredibly smart, loyal and protective. Outside the fence nice and friendly, inside completely different dog. The older one is so protective of the kids that he doesn't let them out of his sight, especially when they are playing outside, he sleeps in front of their doors. I take them out to dog parks and beaches with no leash and they are never farther than 20 feet away, every 3-4 seconds they make eye contact. If somebody comes up to talk to me, they are standing right behind me making their presence known. The guys on top are 3rd generation, the bottom picture was my 1st one. Basically 2 on top are his grandkids.

Last edited by 70cutty; May 20th, 2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by DewChugr
Same thing with Shepherds, they are not get them and forget them. Shepherds thrive on training and exercise. It's amazing what they can do with some good training. My cousins would hear my uncles car drive up and open the front door and sit waiting for him to come in.
I agree, we got ours when she was 5-6 months old from someone who "couldn't do a thing with her". We live in the country, so place to run , check.
We also started training her, and teaching her little tricks. Aim to please, never had a problem with her.

Edin,

Couple of good looking DP, they also have been on my short list of dogs to have. Do they shed much?
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Or you could get a goofy boxer and come home to this...

Old May 20th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I agree, we got ours when she was 5-6 months old from someone who "couldn't do a thing with her". We live in the country, so place to run , check.
We also started training her, and teaching her little tricks. Aim to please, never had a problem with her.

Edin,

Couple of good looking DP, they also have been on my short list of dogs to have. Do they shed much?
Thank you. They don't shed much at all, compare to other dogs. That's one of the reasons I didn't get the German Shepherd, I hate having dog hair everywhere.

Edin
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:07 AM
Registered car nut

Strange deal on people showing up. If they talk to somebody about you, how hard would it be to get a dang phone #?

Re: dog choice maybe contact your insurance agent and see what dogs will get you dropped. Many companies will not tolerate biting/ dangerous dogs.
FWIW.
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Rodision ridgeback, best dog ever, security dog bark and 80 pounds to mess with.

Yup for sure...
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:40 AM
1988 Delta 88

I've had people walk up to me out of nowhere in parking lots letting me know if I was going to sell my car they'd be interested in buying.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:33 AM
Rocket Renegade!

That's different and usually pretty innocent. I've had it too.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:19 AM

Go with the chow. I have two of them, and they're as gentle as lambs, unless you are a stranger. . As a previous poster indicated, work 'em, care for 'em, feed 'em, no issues. My grandmother used to breed them, so I guess that's why I am a little biased in favor of them. I think in all of those years, she had just ONE she had to get rid of because of behavioral issues around all of us grandkids. Good times, good memories. Also, good to be back here, haven't been on here in a while.