General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Covertible top - leaking

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2011, 12:29 AM

Covertible top - leaking

good evening all. it seems like work on these older cars are NEVER complete, lol. has anyone every had their convertible top to leak when raining? i typically dont drive it in the rain, but I got caught today between my destination. the rain was coming in where the top meets the header. it almost seems as though the top isnt fastened tight enough to the header...any takers???
Old August 6th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It probably isn't fastened tight enough to the header.

Either that or the header gasket is shot (or both).

- Eric
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Oldsdruid

A good friend who always had convertibles told me once "It ain't a real convertible if it doesn't leak!"

First place I'd check would be the seal on the header bow. Lots of times after many years it will get so compressed or dried out that it doesn't seal. As you travel, there is always some air lift on the top and it can lift the header bow away from the windshield just enough to let rain blow in- usually right in your or your passenger's lap!

I'd try the seal first. You don't want to fool around tightening those latches much, or next thing the hook breaks out and you have to source and replace a latch.
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Used to happen on all my convertables when road sand and dirt got built up between the header and the top. Wipe the seal and the chrome with some WD40, and hope that it solves the problem. If not, it is time to replace the seal. Damn.. I miss having water dripping on me.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Give the seal on the header bow a visual inspection to make sure there is nothing obvious. If it still has the original seal, it's probably time for a new one.

A test you can do is to open the top a little, place a piece of paper between the conv top weatherstrip and the windshield frame and close the top on the paper. Try to slide the paper out (if you can). If it slides out, you should feel a fair amount of resistance. If it slides out easily, you'll know the seal isn't putting much pressure on the windshield frame and thus the reason for the leak. Try this paper test all along the seal. If the weatherstrip is new(er) and doesn't look like it's compressed, try going one turn on the latch hooks and repeat the test. If it is the original weatherstrip, don't play with the latch hooks, just replace the weatherstrip.
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Good advice so far...

Now if the bow seal was recently replaced, OR the top was recently replaced, evaluate how tight the latches are. If they are very easy to latch, then tighten the hooks some, a little at a time. The latches should close firmly but lots of muscle should never be needed.
New seals compress and new tops stretch over time and either could cause leaks. Been there, got dripped on, tightened the hooks a little and was done. Just evalauate the fit first.

Should a hook ever break, they unscrew from the latches and are repro'd for about 4 bucks each. I got an extra set, just in case..... However, removing the remains if the old one will require a dremel and a screwdriver - it is best to not go there....
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:45 PM

The sure fire cure I found was - don't drive in the rain.
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Southern_Hospitality
good evening all. it seems like work on these older cars are NEVER complete, lol. has anyone every had their convertible top to leak when raining? i typically dont drive it in the rain, but I got caught today between my destination. the rain was coming in where the top meets the header. it almost seems as though the top isnt fastened tight enough to the header...any takers???
Going to the OCA Nationals in Bowling Green in 2007 we got caught in a monster downpour. Water was coming in between the top and the header. In 2008 I replaced the header seal (which is actually on the top). Really easy to replace. Coming back from the OCA Nationals in Pennsylvania in 2009, got caught in a monster downpour in Ohio. Everything stayed nice and dry.

Change your header seal and that should fix it.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:08 PM

thanks for all the advice guys. next stop, header seal replacement...