General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A Couple New Engine Pics

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM

A Couple New Engine Pics

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MPRITC%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MPRITC%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]I hope these show up, I haven't post pictures on here before. This is the motor out of my 72 Cutlass.
2 before rebuild pics and 3 after. This was my first motor to get this in depth with and loved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eng 1.jpg (155.3 KB, 111 views)
eng 2.jpg (171.1 KB, 73 views)
eng 3.jpg (42.1 KB, 94 views)
eng 4.jpg (175.8 KB, 69 views)
eng 5.jpg (52.5 KB, 85 views)
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Cutlass Lover

Very beautiful!
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
same but different

Thats looking good! I bet its a lot of fun to see it coming together. Its my favorite part of the car hobby....engine work and refreshing

You know... I don't think I've seen anyone paint their oil fill tube black with the gold combo; Looks good though. Matches the other stuff.

Pssst...hey, is that a Lokar dipstick?
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks Cutlassgal. Here are pictures when I first got the short block back from the machine shop. Can anyone tell if it is zero decked? I dont remember if I told them to deck the block or not but it looks close. I know that sounds bad, I have had a lot of stuff going on and happen since this was done.
Attached Images
eng 6.jpg (39.5 KB, 34 views)
eng 7.jpg (115.9 KB, 38 views)
eng 8.jpg (164.5 KB, 24 views)
eng 9.jpg (120.4 KB, 31 views)
eng 10.jpg (179.5 KB, 35 views)
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:10 PM

To be honest I don't remember what kind of dipstick that is. I think I ordered from summit or jeggs. The original dipstick broke at the block when I took the head off.
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM

If that piston is all the way up to the top then no it's not zero decked. If it were zero decked it would be flush to the top at TDC. it is close.
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM

I hope these show up, I haven't post pictures on here before. This is the motor out of my 72 Cutlass.
2 before rebuild pics and 3 after. This was my first motor to get this in depth with and loved it.

Looks good. What headers do you have installed? How did you apply the paint? What type of paint did you use?

d1
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by defiant1
How did you apply the paint? What type of paint did you use?

d1
That's what I'd like to know as well.
What brand paint was used, and how it was applied.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:20 AM

Sorry, I got tied up at work yesterday. I used the gold hi temp rattle can paint from ABC Auto, I think it was VHT not sure. I had asked the machine shop not to paint the block since I wanted it to be gold and they said they only painted black or blue. So I got the block back painted black anyways. So on the block I just clean as good as I could and and painted over the black paint. So far the paint on the block has held up nicely. My heads were done somewhere else and when I got them back they were painted manifold grey. I just made sure they clean and painted over them as well. My oil pan and valve covers are the originals. I had to sand the sh*t out of those. I actually repainted the valve covers 3 times to get them where I wanted them to be.
I will look again when I get home and try to find a left over can of the paint so I can give you all correct brand on the paint.
The Distributor is a Taylor Hei part # 895-640930
The Headers are Hedman Block Huggers part # 58160
I also put the 8mm Red Taylor wires on.
It also has the Edelbrock 600cfm part # 1405
It has a Hi Energy Comp Cam 268 H w/ matching springs.
I would have with went different pistons but right in the middle of get this project rolling I found out that I had a baby on the way. The wife was still completely cool with me doing the motor but my budget went down. I will have to say the motor has run like a bat outta hell.I haven't got topped out yet but I did rap it past 120 fairly quickly in between Longview and Tyler coming down IH20. I also added the old school dumps to the exhaust. I will get a picture of them this weekend. I used galvanized pipe with screw on end so I would have any exhaust leaks. They dump right behind the front tires. I swear they help, I was running it with open dumps the other day and when I left the intersection I left rubber through 1st, 2nd, and into 3rd. It put a big on my face.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:57 AM

Looking really nice.
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM

Thanks Bulldog. I just got done replacing my trunk seal tonight. Next couple of weeks will include new window seals and new windshield. My windshield only has a small crack but since the gasket needs replacing I figured I might as well replace the windshield. The guy that's going to do the windshield is a mobile business and will come by the house. It will only $193, that windshield and labor. Tomorrow will be changing the heater core and trying to change out my rear tail light socket. Any advice on getting the sock out of the housing? I couldn't get it lose earlier and don't want to break my housing.
Thanks, Mike
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mike623
I used the gold hi temp rattle can paint from ABC Auto, I think it was VHT not sure.
I will look again when I get home and try to find a left over can of the paint so I can give you all correct brand on the paint.
The Headers are Hedman Block Huggers part # 58160
I will get a picture of them this weekend. I used galvanized pipe with screw on end so I would have any exhaust leaks. I swear they help, I was running it with open dumps the other day and when I left the intersection I left rubber through 1st, 2nd, and into 3rd. It put a big on my face.

Thanks for the info. On your headers, do you think the flange will keep its shape? I think Hedman only uses 1/4" thick flange. How many/What type of gasket did you use? I am trying to decide between the Sanderson and Hedman headers.

Looking forward to the pictures of the exhaust dump setup. Also if you find the paint type please let me know.

d1
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Looks good,its nice to see you didn't discard the air conditioning.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM

Vera nice
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:18 PM

Well I just finished up replacing my heater core. Let me tell you that was fun. The paint is rattle can VHT universal Gold from ABC auto. I haven't had any problem with headers so far. It is a little early in the game though.I hope the headers hold up . I yanked the A/C off of my 78 camaro when I had the motor re-built a few years back and it was my daily driver (BIG MISTAKE) down here in Texas. I will get some pics of the dumps tomorrow.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mike623
Thanks Cutlassgal. Here are pictures when I first got the short block back from the machine shop. Can anyone tell if it is zero decked? I dont remember if I told them to deck the block or not but it looks close. I know that sounds bad, I have had a lot of stuff going on and happen since this was done.
seeing that always brings the tool man out of us.The looks of a new engine been built gets my errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr going