General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Correct colors

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Correct colors

What are the correct shades of black for the firewall, radiator support and the underside of the hood for a 1972 W30 please?

Thanks
John
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I have always heard that it is called GM Black. Whatever it is I think you can get quality paints that match original from Eastwood Paints.
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:16 PM

I was hoping that someone could tell me the correct % mix of gloss etc for the various parts as I will have to have the paint mixed.
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM

I am pretty sure Eastwood can tell u.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Registered

The firewall and under the hood are 30% gloss black.
GM Reconditioning Paint #105104 is supposed to be right, Eastwood Underhood Black is good too.
The core supports are gloss but it's also a percentage, usually 60% from all I've read, a full gloss is way too shiny, it's pretty but not correct.
I use the underhood black then buff it to a higher gloss, same on the air cleaner, it's lacquer so you can make it really shiny if you buff it out enough. To get an idea the 30% is a satin finish and the 60% is semi-gloss, 80% is about a full gloss. The interior painted parts, (except the dash area and maybe the A pillar moldings) are 60% gloss.
The only things that I go with high a higher gloss black on are the coil, voltage regulator cover and the power steering pump reservoir, I do all the pulleys and brackets 30%.
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The firewall and under the hood are 30% gloss black.
GM Reconditioning Paint #105104 is supposed to be right, Eastwood Underhood Black is good too.
The core supports are gloss but it's also a percentage, usually 60% from all I've read, a full gloss is way too shiny, it's pretty but not correct.
I use the underhood black then buff it to a higher gloss, same on the air cleaner, it's lacquer so you can make it really shiny if you buff it out enough. To get an idea the 30% is a satin finish and the 60% is semi-gloss, 80% is about a full gloss. The interior painted parts, (except the dash area and maybe the A pillar moldings) are 60% gloss.
The only things that I go with high a higher gloss black on are the coil, voltage regulator cover and the power steering pump reservoir, I do all the pulleys and brackets 30%.
Thanks very much for the information, it's really appreciated because I don't have access to Eastwood products down here in NewZealand so I have to get the paint mixed.

John
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Eastwood will ship and I don't know why they would not ship internationa.

AND HEY - what is an old American car doing in NZ !!!!!!!
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Welcome to the site John! From the photo by your name I'd say your car would get a lot of attention here. But down there I'd expect it really stands out in a crowd

John
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
Eastwood will ship and I don't know why they would not ship internationa.

AND HEY - what is an old American car doing in NZ !!!!!!!
You might be surprised at the American car culture that we have going down here for a small country with a population of only about 4,000,000.

We just love our American cars down here, and we love to drive them and race them, and we have lots of them too and some very rare ones.

The club that I belong to, the American Muscle Car Club of NZ, are running our Father's Day drags next week and we expect to get 200 plus cars racing.