General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cool Resto Mod 70 W30 story

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:34 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Cool Resto Mod 70 W30 story

Guys and gals this is a great story check it out here
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That is one wicked looking car. Incredible story too! Too bad about the theft - although I'm sure the owner enjoys it just as much as if it was still all original. He changed with the car.

Thanks for the great link Scot!
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM

WOW.....

i absolutely LOVE that color combo and the red lined tires and matching rims!!!!
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:41 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Yeah that thing looks sinister!
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Administrator

U gotta love a happy ending!! Beautiful car!
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:02 AM
car guy

Love the car but the 18/20 wheel combo ruins the look for me. Needs 18's in the back baaaaaad....my .02
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Richard, sorry to be the one to disagree witcha but IMO this slightly nose down stance looks totally aggressive (the way a bad a$$ 442 should) and from this angle you really don't notice it much.

Old August 16th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Curious

Nice car but....if it is a REAL W-30 4 speed car why does it have a/c?

Did I miss the explanation on that?
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Allan R
Richard, sorry to be the one to disagree witcha but IMO this slightly nose down stance looks totally aggressive (the way a bad a$$ 442 should) and from this angle you really don't notice it much.
From that pic at that angle it does look OK but its down in the grass and from a hard angle. I don't mind the rake its the 20" wheel. If you have to do a stagger with 20" rear it needs a 19" up front. The problem with that is only custom companies make 19 and 20 and the wheel price doubles or even triples so most people settle for a cheap cast wheel like what is on the car.
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Nice car but....if it is a REAL W-30 4 speed car why does it have a/c? Did I miss the explanation on that?
The car was stolen and stripped. He got back a shell. Made into this car. Note he even has power disc brakes all around - 1970 Olds only had manual front disc brakes on a W30. All this stuff is in the page Scot posted......

...one of the finest examples we’ve seen. In our opinion, it’s the perfect blend of a restoration and pro-touring. Call it a resto-mod if you’d like.
Sounds more to me like he was just taking the Olds slogan of having one built for him 'to the next level' by doing it himself. Just trying to fill in the missing blanks you asked about. Not defending nor promoting, just observing.
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R

Sounds more to me like he was just taking the Olds slogan of having one built for him 'to the next level' by doing it himself. Just trying to fill in the missing blanks you asked about. Not defending nor promoting, just observing.
I think he has the same opinion of his car as I do to mine. He doesn't care about numbers matching or the value of the car, he just wants it done to his specs because he doesn't have any plans of selling it. Or, at least, that's my interpretation of it.
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:26 PM

I should also add........that is one beautiful car. I don't blame him for wanting to restore it again.
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I can't imagine the heartbreak he must have felt about losing all the work he had put into it in the first place though. Nice to see he has a great attitude to keeping it alive! Nice to see you too Eddie!
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Very nice looking car, story is a little made up.

How do you get so lucky to go to get a mustang from someone that only sells mustangs but in the corner sat a chevelle , no wait a 442 w30.

Then claims to rebuild it but never mentioned that Thorntons did the work.

Just funny I guess.
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by gaerte04
Then claims to rebuild it but never mentioned that Thorntons did the work.
Just curious, where'd you get that info?
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM

I have an extra set of F heads that he had called me to buy and his story of how his car was stolen seemed odd to me. He told me that he drove it to the movies and it was stolen while he was in watching a movie. He lives in California I believe and he wanted me to ship the heads to him the so he could send the heads and other parts to Thorntons which i suggested that i could send them to them directly to Thorntons since i live in Indiana and shipping to pennsylvania but he didnt want that. Anyway i am always afraid of scams so I called Thorntons and asked them if his car was at there shop for restoration and they in fact said they did have his car and was restoring it for him.

I do want to say I think the car is beautiful and am in no way knocking the car or the fact that a lot of work and money went into the car. The fact that the car really was found among a mustang only car dealer and then stolen then found then restored back to a W30 seems like a good story. But heck he did get his car in a article because of a good story and a nice car. More than I can say.
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM

This might not be the same guy and if isnt then I apologize for thinking so but the story is very similar. I can't remember the guys name right off so I could be completely wrong about this. I will look back at my emails from him and see what his name is.

Again my apologies if this is not the same guy.
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

IDK if it is or isn't. I went to the Thorntons site and looked at the cars they have restored. I believe they document all of them in pics. There were a number of 70 Olds but nothing like this car. Not sure, but I thought Thornton was into fully stock restoration? Anyway, not trying to stir the pot or anything, but until there's proof his car isn't what he says, I'll believe his story. It is after all a resto mod with some very nice features. He's not claiming it as a numbers matching car - just one he really loves to drive.
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

What a great looking car,in my opinion the only way it would be any better is if they add the Year One billet aluminum 17 and 18 inch SSI wheels.Keep the redline tires of course.