General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cool Junkyards around Charlottesville, Virginia?

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:35 AM

Cool Junkyards around Charlottesville, Virginia?

Does anyone know of any cool junkyards in this area? When i say cool, I mean 1950's/60's cars with trees growing through them and not a single salvageable part, not pick-n-pulls that rotate inventories every month. I'm basically looking for photographic beauty, rather than any useful parts.
If you know of any others in Virginia, North Carolina, Or SC, i'd be interested.
Old July 14th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Oldsdruid

Leon's near Culpeper. The little wide place in the road is also "Leon" VA. Been 15 years or longer since I was there, but pretty sure he still has some stuff. Don't know how he'd work with you on pictures though.

That remains the only junkyard I have ever been in, that they gave you a map when you went in. After a little time scouring around in there, I understood.
Old July 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Classic Auto Salvage

Here is one in NC right outside Ashboro http://www.richardsclassiccars.com/

Don't be fooled by the pic on the website...I think that was taken probably 20 years ago or more. It's more like you described. More like a jungle with a decent amount of old cars thrown in. Also, he has been trying to retire and the place is normally only open on Saturdays anymore. Still, might be worth the drive to check out. There are still parts and some cars available. In fact, he has a 71 455 that I'm trying to get or steal as the case may be.
Old July 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Oldsdruid

Richard Keller has been "retiring" for the last twenty years it seems. Used to be a running joke every time his wife threatened divorce, the place went up for sale.

Jim Bingham's place down the road from Richard's was way and again better. I sure hated when Mr. Jim closed up shop and turned it back into cow pasture. I got some really great parts and deals there.

If I could deal with Richard himself, I did OK there. If I had to deal with one of his counter monkeys, more than once I walked out.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:06 AM

Unfortunately Cville's kinda lacking in the interesting old American iron/junkyard department. We seem to have quite a few british cars around though. There's actually a British car junk yard not too far from here that I can dig up the info for if you'd like.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by cruiserfan
Unfortunately Cville's kinda lacking in the interesting old American iron/junkyard department. We seem to have quite a few british cars around though. There's actually a British car junk yard not too far from here that I can dig up the info for if you'd like.
I would love that info. American cars are cool, but British cars...that may take the cake.
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jetstar 88
I would love that info. American cars are cool, but British cars...that may take the cake.
After digging around a bit, I think the one that I'm thinking of is Leon's. I know it was near Culpeper. The last time I was there must have been about 2005 or so, but they had quite a few Triumphs (heralds, spitfires, 6's, 7's, and 8's) along with quite a few other British cars.