General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

convertible top

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2016, 02:08 PM

convertible top

was wondering if any convertible owners would mind posting some measuments for me ? im looking for the distance from the rear chrome trim to the center of the rear bow and distance between rear bow and the next round bow.pics would be great. ive search high and low on the internet and cant find anything .my fisher body manual does not have them either.trying to find the proper top pad placement .most of the info ive found assumes you have your old top and pads for reference and im starting with a bare frame .thanks
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:42 PM

Different make tops use different measurements. They tell you what it should be. Ballpark from pinchweld ss mldg in center to center of bow is 20- 20 1/2" (most common).
Old May 18th, 2016, 03:55 PM

ive read that ,but as luck would have it the tops from fusick come with no instructions my rear bow is at about 20 1/2 just not sure where to set the next one up from it .no marks on the pads or top .thanks for responding
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:57 PM

Ok... I inquired at Fusick about a year ago, I was at their place, looked at a 70-72 installed top, asked who made it, etc. It was a nice top, looked good, it was an ARO2000. Here's a link with the bow measurement...20.5 That's if they are still selling ARO. It does not have to be dead on. Actually...I've been working on my own top for 2 days straight! Pump, hoses, etc. My rear bow measurement is AFU, it's about 19" in the center, and one side is back even maybe 1/2" more. I had the top up 1/2 way today, and the glass just BARELY clears when lowering. That's the BIG issue, along with the fit and "look". I'm debating whether to do my own myself. I can link you to some good installation links. http://www.aro2000.com/OLDSMOBILE_1961-PRESENT.htm
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:13 PM

Links would be great I appreciate the leg work .and yes my top is aro seems to be good quality were gonna try it this weekend I'll pass on any issues or helpful hints .
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:39 PM

Ok...here's one...pretty good...2 parts. I got another........ http://www.squidsfabshop.com/bodyw/GTObody.php
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:46 PM

Here's another...pretty good. Bear in mind all A bodies are similar. You have to make spacer sticks, that's the best way to set that bow. You should use SS staples, hopefully divergent point type. Then there are the tack strip issues. I've been researching this a long time. My GS was just painted and I'm prepping for the top. Let me see if I have more links...those are about the best I've found, though. http://www.camaros.net/forums/31-con...rame-talk.html
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:16 PM

I've been reading the first one huge help already . My rear trim stick is one piece so may be a bit of challenge if it has to go in and out a few times patience will definitely be key
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:31 PM

I'm sure you can do it Jeff, if you are patient and have a little help. Right...the trim stick is different, but the same process. I don't agree with his assessment of the top pads with the wide end at the front. My own problem is that I'm not happy with my frame fit. Whoever did my top was not a really good top installer, because it was never set right to begin with. It's not really about the $ to install it, I'd pay good $ to get it done. But...the frame has got to be set right first, BEFORE the top goes on, you can't do it after. There are like 10 places within 10 miles of me, but from what I've seen + experienced, none of them are great. Google... convertible top man snellville GA, and look at his pics. He's got a 70-72 blue Cutlass on there with a top that looks like it was painted on. It's crazy nice. If money was no object, I'd send my car on a truck down there to get it done! There was someone had a top done on here recently that looked very good. Dude never answered when I asked him the make. I know the ARO top is a good one.

Last edited by mrolds69; May 18th, 2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:35 PM

http://www.theconvertibletopman.com/
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:04 PM

ive been messing around with the pads a bit and checking my frame measurements everything is fairly close with the exception of the passenger side rear of the frame sits a little too low .ill have to get that right first.my pads actually seem to lay flatter with the wider side to the front.i did talk with an aro rep on the phone and he sent me some additional info.looks like its a go for this weekend .the tops in the last link look very nice!
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:34 PM

One more........love the pads on this one! http://www.secondchancegarage.com/re...o-mod-21-1.cfm
Old May 21st, 2016, 06:59 PM

this was the best we could muster today my brother in law and i spent 13 hours messing with it .went in and out half a dozen times .the one piece trim stick is a pita .had to remove the rain gutter to make it easier to install the trim stick .top wont latch to the header bow yet we may have to back off the material on the front bow a bit .ill leave the heat on tonight see if stretches overnight.all in all made progress hope the worse is behind us
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1788.JPG (1.03 MB, 18 views)