General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Computer down.

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2015 | 07:40 PM

Computer down.

Well shoot
Fell the other day
Damaged hard drive?
Will not start now.
I know I have some parts paid for and a refund due on an oil fill tube. Please PHONE me for contact.

Chris
517..449.oh 432
Old March 13th, 2015 | 08:05 PM
Runner

Just throwing this out there, but in case you had stuff on that computer you really want to recover, I bet there is greater then a 50/50 shot your hard drive is OK if it just fell over the other day. You can probably plug it up to another computer and recover that.

If it was a desktop, open it up and see if anything specifically broke. If its a laptop... well, thats tougher.
Old March 14th, 2015 | 05:31 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a hard drive crash or it dislodged something when it fell , how far into the start cycle.
Old March 14th, 2015 | 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Will not start now...
As in no power at all ?
Or tries ? (Powers up but hangs at some point in boot process)

If no power at all, data is probably OK. Cause could be number of things...power supply, MOBO. etc ...

If it tries and hangs, need more info to diag...
Old March 14th, 2015 | 06:29 AM

It could be anything, depending on how it fell. I doubt the hard drive is damaged, though. Most likely the power supply. You can remove the hard drive and connect it to a desktop computer "plug in" to get all your data from that hard drive if anything else is damaged.
Old March 14th, 2015 | 06:44 AM

Also, if it's a laptop (or even a desktop) and its declared dead, get one of these:

USB-SATA/IDE Adapter

Amazon link for info
Amazon.com: USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25 Amazon.com: USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter: Computers & Accessories

Then you can pull the HD & copy via USB to something else. I've had one for ~ 10 years have used it on all kinds of dead machine HDs. It's been worth every penny of the ~ $10 I paid.
Old March 14th, 2015 | 06:48 AM

Five bucks says it chucked the ram. Look inside for loose parts.
Old March 14th, 2015 | 07:47 AM

mmmkay
after cooling off all night it was able to struggle alive thru a safe mode startup and attempted recovery to previous state which it says failed. But here it is working for now.

HP Laptop.

I need to attach the external HD and backup what hasn't been done lately I guess. Maybe 2 yrs of photo collecting. Intersting parts and all that.

Any good way to add to the backup ONLY those files that are newer than a given date, and not just transfer all of everything?
Old March 14th, 2015 | 08:46 AM

Any good way to add to the backup ONLY those files that are newer than a given date, and not just transfer all of everything?
You can open Explorer and sort by the Date Modified" column. Then use "Shift-Alt" to select the files/directories you want that are new. Then press "Ctrl" and hold it down while you grab the selected stuff and drag (copy) it to your external drive.

Good Luck!
Old March 14th, 2015 | 09:43 PM
Photoshop God

mmmkay
after cooling off all night it was able to struggle alive thru a safe mode startup and attempted recovery to previous state which it says failed. But here it is working for now.

HP Laptop.

I need to attach the external HD and backup what hasn't been done lately I guess. Maybe 2 yrs of photo collecting. Intersting parts and all that.

Dropping your computer could cause the drive heads to hit the platters, not an ideal thing.

Disk space is really cheap these days, $50-60ish for a 1TB drive. Backup your user folder (contains my documents, desktop, bookmarks, etc. and anything you stored in random places. If your stuff is very valuable to you I'd keep two backups.

It all depends on how important your data is to you. I've seen friends lose years of photos of their kid. My photos are very important to me. I keep them on my Macs internal drive, an external drive and copies on two sets of DVDs. one in my fireproof filing cabinet and on at my moms.