General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Compression test results way off 67 cutlass 330

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
So... What about the compression?

- Eric
Wow.

- Eric
Eric..I meant that what I thought was a wet down test ( may not be proper ) Poured a bit of oil in the cylinders that were initially low on the first compression test ( 115 to 120..) they all shot up to 140-150 ( on the side that was lacking in compression ) As an amateur I just realized that was not the proper method. I should not have teased the cylinders with any oil at all and let the engine do its own work. Sorry.. I'm now embarrassed... I'll have to go rent the tester again and take all plugs out.... But what I do know is that it runs smooth as suede as before..Idles perfect. Except the bog on punching.
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:12 PM

Wow.

- Eric
Eric..I meant that what I thought was a wet down test ( may not be proper ) Poured a bit of oil in the cylinders that were initially low on the first compression test ( 115 to 120..) they all shot up to 140-150 ( on the side that was lacking in compression ) As an amateur I just realized that was not the proper method. I should not have teased the cylinders with any oil at all and let the engine do its own work. Sorry.. I'm now embarrassed... I'll have to go rent the tester again and take all plugs out.... But what I do know is that it runs smooth as suede as before..Idles perfect. Except the bog on punching.
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Increased compression when wet means bad rings.

You still have low compression in those cylinders - it's just not low enough to be causing any noticeable problems.

- Eric
Old June 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM

Increased compression when wet means bad rings.

You still have low compression in those cylinders - it's just not low enough to be causing any noticeable problems.

- Eric
I I Captain...I will again rent the compression tester and see (just out of curiosity) if the one side has changed out of the 100-110 zone...dry test...
Also. the new points seem to be more challenging to set the dwell where it is supposed to be. They seem much more " cheaper" ? And I'm wondering if that's possibly the reason for the hesitation on start up and bog on acceleration...
Hey..I'ts hard to find the good points these days? Every time I order ( the picture of the points looks original.. but what I get is still the same cheap chinese points.....

Last edited by MudEye; June 14th, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old June 14th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If the new points are adjusted correctly, and hold their adjustment, then they are not the cause of your problems.

You are right, though, that new points are generally crap.
I would recommend either buying Standard Automotive Products Blue Streak points and condensers, or keeping an eye open for NOS parts.

- Eric
Old November 22nd, 2016, 04:56 PM

Wow.

- Eric
Trying to understand as well...With the leak down would it not give a bad compression reading? And after the rebuild...no more leak down ...cylinder walls now have lube hence better compression?......
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:25 PM

I just have to stick my 2 cents worth in. You may want to drive the vehicle a few miles to get the engine hot then check compression with it hot. You may or may not have a problem. Ask me how I know this
Good luck
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A leakdown test will show a holed piston, a leaky valve, a crack into the water jacket, a bad head gasket, or major ring problems (broken or over-gapped), with varying degrees of specificity.

It is not to see, in a general sense, whether your rings are sealing.

- Eric
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:57 PM

A leakdown test will show a holed piston, a leaky valve, a crack into the water jacket, a bad head gasket, or major ring problems (broken or over-gapped), with varying degrees of specificity.

It is not to see, in a general sense, whether your rings are sealing.

- Eric
Without a " leakdown test " The compression returned to " normal " after fixing the carb gas from leaking down into the cylinders....Would it be safe to say...The carb was the problem...? No more stalling...Have been driving everyday now..No issues....
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by MudEye
The compression returned to " normal " after fixing the carb gas from leaking down into the cylinders....Would it be safe to say...The carb was the problem...?
I have no idea what you just said.

- Eric
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:48 PM

- Eric
My guess would be that he was thinking that the gasoline was "washing" the cylinders of oil and thus removing the seal that is created with engine oil and the rings.
Just a guess though.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
My guess would be that he was thinking that the gasoline was "washing" the cylinders of oil and thus removing the seal that is created with engine oil and the rings.
Just a guess though.
Thanks for reading my mind lol! Not always the best at explaining....But that's precisely what I intended to portray....
Old November 23rd, 2016, 04:33 PM

- Eric
Sorry! I meant to say that once the carb rebuild was done and the oil barrier (between the cylinder walls and Pistons was restored, Is that what restored the compression in the 2 cylinders that were low before the carb rebuild ( as gas was leaking into them ) Because they returned to normal after the rebuild.

Thanks!
Old November 23rd, 2016, 04:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay.

In that case, no, it's not likely that that's what happened. Oil does provide some help in sealing when there are irregularities in the cylinder wall, but it's not relevant in this case, because we're talking about a leakdown test, and not a compression test.

Doing a compression test completely dry on a good cylinder with good rings would probably not get you a result that's very different from one with a proper film of oil, and there should be essentially no difference between a proper film of oil and a big squirt of oil in a good cylinder.

Doing a leakdown test, there should be no difference between the reading in any of the above three conditions, because if all else is well, pressure loss into the crankcase should be almost entirely through the ring gaps, and should have almost nothing to do with the ring-to-wall seal.

- Eric
Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:39 PM

Okay.

In that case, no, it's not likely that that's what happened. Oil does provide some help in sealing when there are irregularities in the cylinder wall, but it's not relevant in this case, because we're talking about a leakdown test, and not a compression test.

Doing a compression test completely dry on a good cylinder with good rings would probably not get you a result that's very different from one with a proper film of oil, and there should be essentially no difference between a proper film of oil and a big squirt of oil in a good cylinder.

Doing a leakdown test, there should be no difference between the reading in any of the above three conditions, because if all else is well, pressure loss into the crankcase should be almost entirely through the ring gaps, and should have almost nothing to do with the ring-to-wall seal.

- Eric
Thanks Eric (professor) You are schools above me ....But I am not yet understanding...... My car ran crappy....I did a compression test....bad gas smell,not starting...stalling.....2 cylinders were 100-115..... Did a new carb rebuild.....No more gas smell...no stalling...amd those cylinders that were 100-115 were now 140-150....( After the new carb rebuild ) no more back firing,stalling,and compression back to normal.....drives and idles excellent....So in your opinion what could have been the problem in the first place...?? Thanks!
Old November 24th, 2016, 05:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by MudEye
My car ran crappy....bad gas smell,not starting...stalling.....2 cylinders were 100-115.....
Did a new carb rebuild.....No more gas smell...no stalling...
amd those cylinders that were 100-115 were now 140-150....
and compression back to normal.....

So in your opinion what could have been the problem in the first place...??
So, you had problems including poor running, trouble starting, stalling, and a strong smell of gasoline, you rebuilt the carburetor, and all of those problems went away.
Sounds like a needle valve stuck open, or float stuck in the up position or adjusted too high.

You also had compression readings in two cylinders of 100-115psi before and 140-150psi after.
These changes in compression are likely completely unrelated to the carburetor rebuild, and probably were due to deficiencies of measuring technique: For instance, are you certain that you had the throttle completely open while checking compression on every cylinder the first time?

- Eric
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:04 PM

So, you had problems including poor running, trouble starting, stalling, and a strong smell of gasoline, you rebuilt the carburetor, and all of those problems went away.
Sounds like a needle valve stuck open, or float stuck in the up position or adjusted too high.

You also had compression readings in two cylinders of 100-115psi before and 140-150psi after.
These changes in compression are likely completely unrelated to the carburetor rebuild, and probably were due to deficiencies of measuring technique: For instance, are you certain that you had the throttle completely open while checking compression on every cylinder the first time?

- Eric
Yes Eric I had the throttle wide open ( My neighbor is a witness lol! and helped Me ) As I did a compression test on each cylinder...We did it 3 times to make sure all readings were fair amd balanced... Thanks!
Old November 25th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I have never heard of an over-rich carb. causing reduced compression, so I doubt that that was the reason, but I do not have an explanation either.

- Eric
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:39 AM

I remember years ago a common problem with quadrajets was those floats that look like Styrofoam becoming saturated and causing a rich situation. As the float gets worse it slowly sinks lower. What kind of float did you have? How old was it?
I could see this causing your problem. Check your mpg and see if it goes up.
Railguy
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:44 AM

Too much fuel washing the oil off the cylinder walls maybe?