General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Column or Floor Shift?

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Column or Floor Shift?

Looking at another local 71 442 for a possible purchase. The car is a floor shift but seems to have the column shift linkage still connected to the steering column and trans. There are no signs in the interior (column, speedo, etc) that the car was ever a column shift and the owner claims to have build sheet showing the floor shifter. Is this possible? Anybody else ever encountered a situation like this? Thanks.
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Does the linkage move the shift indicator on the dash, a lot of cars where set up that way??
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM

if i understand you right..... all the floor shift cars (even the 4 speed cars) had the linkage going to the steering column. on 4 speed cars it would move the column into the locked position when you put it in reverse. on automatic cars it would lock the column when it was in Park. on 71 and newer it was also for the neutral and reverse light switch that is mounted on the column. if it wasn't hooked up the back up lights and neutral start switch would not work.

i was just thinking about you yesterday when i was on here. i had not seen any posts for a while.
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM

That's it, I knew the linkage did something on the column but could remember what.
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM

OK, thanks guys...it makes sense. I'm going to chalk that up to a senior moment . I just checked my 72 which is an auto on the floor and it also has the column shift linkage attached so I guess they all have it! I was just paranoid the seller was trying to hide something.

Eric, I see you're still collecting! You deserve Kudos for keeping all of them Olds away from The Crusher and some of us supplied with parts! Did you ever hear anymore from the buyer of the 72? Glad you enjoyed your vacation in NC.
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Starting with the 1969 model year, the feds required that the shifter be locked with the ignition key. This required a backdrive linkage to be installed between the trans and the steering column, even on floor shift cars.
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM

the mountains of NC are some of the greatest in the world in my opinion. i want to move there but have to much here to leave.

i haven't talked to them for a couple months. we were going to meat at a sonic near here but haven't done it yet. i need to talk to him anyway. he has a NOS 8 track radio and 8 track A/C valance i would like to get my hands on. for the parts cars, my wife is still ok with it but i have had a couple i put a load of hours in just to come out $200 ahead. if i keep that up she will be putting the brakes on me. it is getting hard to get them as cheap as you could because of the scrap price and then harder to sell parts for enough money to justify it because of the bad economy. i enjoy doing it even if i broke even but she wouldn't like that.