General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cogged Belts

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Cogged Belts

I replaced the belts on my 86 Custom Cruiser a few months ago with cogged belts (that's all I could find). No matter what I do, they still squeal under hard throttle. I've seen a lot of them that have the cogged side up instead of down (what I have now). I assume this is to help them get better traction? Do you simply just turn the belt inside out?

Thanks!
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM

I feel your pain... These stupid cogged belts are becoming the norm these days.
I do not know why, either. (less material to make 'em cheaper????)
They stretch a lot easier, I do know that. They suck, to sum it all up.

Do you know which is squealing? The only one that I have trouble with is the A/C belt when the compressor is running. My alt belt squeals a tad right after startup when the battery is a bit low. I never tried mounting them inside out, the v must fit nicely in the pulley. The edges should be making the most contact, not the inner flat part. It is possible they may not be made right from the beginning.

I assume they are all tight enough (1/2" deflection upon pressing down in the middle of the belt's run.
You may try removing the belts (I know it is a pain) and cleaning the pulleys very well to rid any oil or grease, along with the belts, themselves. You might be able to do it with the belts on, by just 'bumping' the starter to turn the engine over a fraction of a turn. A good degreaser should work okay.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; December 24th, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM

I'm pretty sure it's the PS belt. In the morning when I'm pulling out of the driveway, the steering is kinda stiff and goes away after the car is warmed up. I had the same issue on my Toronado but after I tightened the belt it was fine. I have all the belts tight and it's gotten better but still squeals. When I first got the wagon the cogged side of the belt was facing up...and I thought someone made a mistake...haha. Now I know why they did it.

I will take them off and clean the pulleys too. I'll see if turning them inside out works...obviously as long as it fits in the pulley ok.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM

If you go to the Gates web site you can do a search and find belts that do not have the cogs. You need to know the length of the belt your replacing. You can do a cross reference to find them. I have non-cogged belts on my 455 in my 57, no noise and the belts stay tight. I ordered my belts through the Rock Auto web site and bought an extra set to store in the trunk of the car. Now no worries
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Does the custom cruiser still have the smog pump and AC compressor on it?
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Yes both...they run on the same belt.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM

The Goodyear rep told me that the idea of the cog in the inside of the belt is so it can go tighter on a small pulley, and the cogs on the outside are to make it run cooler.
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by dhoff
The Goodyear rep told me that the idea of the cog in the inside of the belt is so it can go tighter on a small pulley, and the cogs on the outside are to make it run cooler.
yep

the internal cogs are able to flex easier around a small diameter pulley with increased contact area. I sold Dayco Top Cog belts for years. They were advertised to run cooler because of the cogs. I wonder how much of that was a marketing gimmick.

`
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Here's a pic of before I took the old belts off. You can see the cog side out...but it looks like it's flat and not V shape...so makes me wonder if the belts were designed for cog side out and not just turned inside out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF4010.jpg (79.0 KB, 42 views)
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM

those are Daycos. the side of the belts are not parallel, hince the V-Belt designation. the inside width is narrower than the outside.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Ok gotcha...thank you for looking at them. I guess I'll just see if I can tighten them and hopefully that will do the trick.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM

when the contact area gets glazed, there's nothing that will shut them up permanently except to replace them. over tightening the belts will put a strain on bearings and bushings. I suggest premium Goodyear belts
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM

I'll tell you what, I've got the same problem on my 83 Custom Cruiser. V-belts(cogged). First, it was the alternator belt. I knew because when it squealed, my voltmeter dropped. I replaced it, seems no amount of tightening would fix it. With the belt off, I ran the motor. I think my AC/smog is squealing too. If I were you, I'd replace the belts with some Gates corded belts. All of them. Tighten to specification and the problem should go away.

--Ryan
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Thanks Ryan. Yeah sounds like it might need a new set. I have to sell the car so I may just try to get the ones I have on there now working ok. I just put them on in June.
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Had the same issues... Tightened 'em up a tad and sprayed a very minimal amount of dressing on 'em. Problem was solved.
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM

Yeah I'll try that...I just checked the PS belt again and it feels loose...it's such a pain getting that thing tight!
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Thanks Ryan. Yeah sounds like it might need a new set. I have to sell the car so I may just try to get the ones I have on there now working ok. I just put them on in June.
Some times it is good to have something wrong with the car that's easy to fix ...
Customer, "Is there anything wrong"" ..?

You," The belt squeels " ...
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM

Yeah I'll try that...I just checked the PS belt again and it feels loose...it's such a pain getting that thing tight!
You are right, because you cannot pry against the plastic pump housing. There should be a metal tab by the shaft that can be pried against.
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
If you go to the Gates web site you can do a search and find belts that do not have the cogs. You need to know the length of the belt your replacing. You can do a cross reference to find them. I have non-cogged belts on my 455 in my 57, no noise and the belts stay tight. I ordered my belts through the Rock Auto web site and bought an extra set to store in the trunk of the car. Now no worries
I went through this and it looks like the cross reffed Gates belts have some small gogs that are ~supposed~ to expand when hot to grip better... I cannot find a regular old V-belt. Rockauto has them; maybe I can get one to look at. The AC delcos are all cogged, so cogged they suck.
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Ah ok...I'll have to try a bar again to tighten it. Not sure I have one that will fit. I've just used good ole elbow grease before...but for some reason I can't get it tight enough on the wagon...maybe because the hood is wider so it is harder to push on it...haha.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM

Eureka! I solved the problem. I tried to tighten the belt (again) and no matter how much I tried, it would not get tight enough. The pump was tensioned as far as it would go...so I thought I'd try a new belt. I went to Checker and bought a Gates XL...first of all, what a difference in quality compared to the Duralast from Autozone...the Gates was much softer and felt a little "stickier" if that makes sense. Plus it's made in the USA, not Korea...lol.

Fit like a glove and now all is well. Yay!!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM

I went to Checker and bought a Gates XL...first of all, what a difference in quality compared to the Duralast from Autozone...the Gates was much softer and felt a little "stickier" if that makes sense. Plus it's made in the USA, not Korea...lol.

Fit like a glove and now all is well. Yay!!
Is it cogged?
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Is it cogged?
Yes it is.