General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Clutch Shutter/Chatter Question

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2020, 08:49 AM

Clutch Shutter/Chatter Question

So I have a new engine and when it went in I also had a new clutch put in (I can’t remember which one). When I put the car away for the winter I don’t recall any clutch chatter but I do remember if the RPMs were up, and even when I depress the clutch all the way in, occasionally when I put it in reverse there be a slight grind like the clutch didn’t fully engage.

I probably have about 800 miles on the engine and clutch. I just drove it for the first time this spring and I’ve noticed when I push the clutch in even in neutral I feel a little bit of shutter in the clutch pedal.

my question- is this just the clutch breaking in or maybe is it from sitting for the winter?

should I drive it a few hundred more miles before bringing it to the mechanic or could that cause damage? It’s not massive shutter btw. When the engine was put in he did put in new motor mounts btw.

car shifts fine, and the shutter isn’t always there just to be clear.

thanks for any insights. Jim
Old May 2nd, 2020, 09:13 AM
72 Olds CS

Idk about the shudder, but I assume it’s a mechanical clutch not hydraulic. Is it adjusted properly?
Old May 2nd, 2020, 12:00 PM

here is a picture of what was put in by the shop.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 05:40 AM

If the old flywheel was reused, it could have heat spots that were not removed by resurfacing. Or a bit of oil, etc. on flywheel or pressure plate faces.
Old May 3rd, 2020, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
If the old flywheel was reused, it could have heat spots that were not removed by resurfacing. Or a bit of oil, etc. on flywheel or pressure plate faces.
hmm a new flywheel was used as well. I noticed when it’s cold it doesn’t appear to happen, it’s after I drive a bit and it warms up. I’ll take it to the mechanic I guess. Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2020, 12:08 PM

Take it back to the guys that put it in and say you want it fixed. Pay their labor.
Old May 5th, 2020, 11:17 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Typically shudder coming up from the pedal when the pedal is depressed (disengaged) is a bad TO bearing, fork, or a linkage problem.

Shudder during engagement (releasing the pedal clamping down on the flywheel) is an indication of high spots on the flywheel, disc, or clutch surfaces aka hot spots.

Typically grinding from a stop is indicative of the need to adjust the clutch or shifter. Deeper grinding trouble after adjustments are in spec would be a worn-out clutch or 1st gear syncro.

Start simple and readjust the clutch and shifter and see if it fixes it.
Old May 6th, 2020, 08:14 PM

Well....I found this post online and it’s 100% spot on to what happened to me!

your repair shop may have made the basic mistake of putting the clutch release bearingbetween the flat steel anti rattle spring and the throw out arm....a very common mistake for those not well versed in GM cars of the 60/70 era. You can check this by inspecting from the drivers side opening of the bellhousing where the throw out arm goes through, you might need a video inspection camera......