General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

close call, dumb/innocent, lucky/unlucky ?????

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Loose Radical

close call, dumb/innocent, lucky/unlucky ?????

Long story long…………
I have been fighting this ’65 for two years. It was supposed to be a quick drop in a gas tank and go. Well, I might have been able to it if I closed my eyes to everything else. Motor turned out to have some bad rings. All bushings were shot. Body mounts rotted out. Electrical spliced with romex and lamp cord and melted all over…………

Found a decent 330 and trans, swapped in, cleaned and painted frame, redid all the suspension bushings, cut open the body mount areas and repaired, new gas tank, new complete trunk floor, fixed all the leaks around windows, half way through the re-wire.
I finally got to the point I can turn the key to engage the starter and crank the motor over. Then I tested the coil and distributor and was getting spark to the plugs. Time for a splash of gas………………

I don’t have the linkage in place from the pedal to the carb yet (looking for right rod), had issues with starters locking up so front end was in the air. Had rear wheels chucked so it would not roll back, had floor jack under front cross member, and two 8 ton jack stands under the front frame. A little gas into the vent tube, go the dash, turn the key…nothing…….nothing……………nothing……....pop….pop….. pop…..pop.. (promising)

Time to get a steady stream of gas. Test to make sure the fuel pump works, (it did after a while), get a can of gas and some hose, (getting excited).

I crank over the car and it starts but idling rough, I run to the engine and start work the carb trying to keep it from dying. As I am working the throttle the RPMs climb a little and the car jumps forward!!!!!!!! WTF……….back to the dash to turn off key.

Shaking and sweating I am not sure what just happened. Shifter is in park, neutral and reverse safety circuits are working………….

The car rolled off the jack and it is now mashed the oil pan, the jack stands rocked forward. Still have some weight on them but ready to slip off. I got another jack to get the car supported. Pulled out first jack and got the jack stands re-positioned.

I’m guessing the linkage of the trans is messed up somehow. Crawl under and see that it is not even attached. At some point when working the linkage working on the electrical stuff the pin that held it in place was gone. Car was in gear when I started. SO LUCKY THERE WAS NOT A MUCH WORSE OUTCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Wow - glad it ended as good as it did! You can replace the oil pan easily. Glad you were not hurt. I can bet that was a scary experience.

Hope we all have fast reflexes to get out of harms way should we have to. There is always a small risk of working with machinery.
We learn from our (and other's) mistakes and go on.
I had a car roll off a jack even though it was in park. From now on I always chock the wheels.

I bet that engine will run a lot better in park or neutral...
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Good that you are ok. An oil pan is easily replaced. Time to get a deep sump pan.
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Registered

Good to hear it wasn't worse, you really dodged a bullet on that one. Seems like somebody else had the same thing happen not too long ago here?
My neighbor was doing tie rod ends on his '65 Fairlane and it fell off the jackstands the other day, luckily when he went to grab another beer. He was most likely a little tipsy and leaned on it knowing him. Alcohol and cars don't mix unless it's for fuel.
He could have been hurt badly or worse and under there for hours if it fell on him. He has concrete solids and timbers under it now.

Even Furd guys don't deserve that.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Glad to hear your ok. Lesson learned. I use heavy duty jack stands rated at 8,000 lbs each and when I use them I raise the whole car, not just the front or rear. That way the frame sets square on the stands not at an angle which is a bad thing as the jack stands can push foward and slip out due to the angle weight even if your wheels are chocked. If you want to raise just the front or rear use drive up ramps. The more I think about it the more a lift makes sense, wish I had the room for one.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Loose Radical

It didn't help that I curse every time I have to drag a floor jack out to it. If you can't tell it is gravel. So I drag it through the gravel and fight to get it under the right part. Then the jack stands shift and sink a little.Then I need to get some card board to lay on (If I'm lucky). Then when you drop anything it's gone or that gravel gets on the cardboard (only where you need to lay).

I'm bi*ching about it but I am really excited that I am getting close enough that I think I can drive this beast soon!
I know I was VERY lucky, I really try to protect myself and others when doing any of these things.

Oh yea, it really sounded good before the 'incident' with some cheap Turbo Thrush mufflers dumping under the car!!!!
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Captain of my ship

Lucky I would say

In that you didn't get hurt or anybody else so an oilpan can be replaced. Had something similar happen to me a few years ago while working on the girlfriends car. It was backed onto ramps and I knew the linkage was bad but didn't think about it until she went off the back of the ramps and crushed both rocker panels.funny to think about it now sitting there high and dry.
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Past Administrator

Wow what a story. I found my stomach muscles bunched up as I was reading your post. Sure glad it wasn't worse, sure could have been. Keep at it, you'll get it!