General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

clock repair

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM

clock repair

it always bugs me to see these old clocks not working. i decided to take this one out of the 62 Jetfire and fix it. most of the time i can just oil them up and sand the points but this one had a wire burned off the solenoid. i got the clock working first then soldered the wire on. i was lucky on how it burned. it burned off where the factory solder connection is. i just bent the tab a little and soldered it back on. tested it and it works great! now just to see if it keeps accurate time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clock1.jpg (45.3 KB, 76 views)
clock2.jpg (42.6 KB, 65 views)
clock 3.jpg (41.7 KB, 67 views)
clock5.jpg (32.4 KB, 68 views)
clock4.jpg (38.8 KB, 68 views)
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Mine will work intermittently, but usually ends up blowing a fuse. I'm guessing oiling it would fix it, but wasn't sure if saturating it with WD-40 would work and not kill the electronics. how did you oil it?
Because I would love to have a working clock!
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM

it don't take much WD-40 at all. i use a little dropper to drip one little drip here and there in the spring and gear area. let it sit for about a half hour and then wind it by hand just a little. most of the time i have to touch the "ticker" just slightly several times to get it to start moving. after it moves on it's own i let it go several time by winding it myself. after it is moving real good and free i will take a real small corner of paper towel and touch on any excess oil to soak it up. i try to never leave any visible oil inside. don't use to much oil or you will end up with it on the face and create more work to clean it off. also i try to sand the points before i oil it. then any dust that is made don't stick to the oil. just blow any dust off VERY easy before you oil it.

the WD-40 won't hurt the electronics.
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Thanks! Maybe i'll finally know what time it is while driving.
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Clock repair

Eric the Arm rests are stripped and I need to patch up a few spots no big deal.
The CLOCK..Send it to Clocks and Gauges in Roscoe Illinois.Great Cutomer service nad a great product.They will convert that clock to a Quartz movement.And no problems.Around $125.00/well worth it.
Talk to you soon
Ron
586-556-1234
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by rroth01
Eric the Arm rests are stripped and I need to patch up a few spots no big deal.
The CLOCK..Send it to Clocks and Gauges in Roscoe Illinois.Great Cutomer service nad a great product.They will convert that clock to a Quartz movement.And no problems.Around $125.00/well worth it.
Talk to you soon
Ron
586-556-1234
There is a company somewhere that makes a conversion kit you can buy and try yourself, for the do-it-yourselfer. There was a thread a while back about it, I can't find it at the moment now though.
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eric,
Glad you got it fixed and working. I'm going to have to pull my tic toc tac one and check it out. I have an OEM rebuilt one that I can put in if I can't find the problem with it. Far as I can remember the one I have worked for many years before it packed in. Do they mostly stop because of gumming up and then overloading the power supply connection to the solenoid? Sounds like I'm going to have some fun too! Are you going to paint the inside of the housing a light blue so it reflects the light better at night?
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM

the paint was still nice inside. i just polished it up and put it together. for the clock in a rally pack... i tried it about 25 years ago and after i got it apart i decided i had better not and then put it back together. i was afraid i was going to brake the tach. i was to young at the time to be doing a project like that so maybe i should try one again. i just remember thinking i was over my head inside a tic toc tac.

in my opinion, the reason most of them quit is because the points need sanded. then after sitting for decades without moving they get tight enough to not move from the force the tiny spring has on it. some i have seen have arced and the points got stuck together. this most of the time will burn up a wire inside the clock.

Last edited by jensenracing77; February 4th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM

I got my tic tac toc working for a bit and as soon as I put it back in the car it stopped. I will try again. Its a little thing but the quartz movements you can swap in there have a continual sweeping smooth motion, the original clocks will move forward a second, pause and move forward, I like the looks of that verses the continual sweep of a quartz movement
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:01 PM
GM Enthusiast

On ebay, there is a seller's store named omicron clock. They sell do it yourself kits for a variety of cars to convert to quartz movement. Around $75+shipping.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
the original clocks will move forward a second, pause and move forward, I like the looks of that verses the continual sweep of a quartz movement
i think it is faster than a second but i know what you mean. i am like you, i just like that old school look and the thump they make every couple minutes.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Jetstar 88
Mine will work intermittently, but usually ends up blowing a fuse. I'm guessing oiling it would fix it, but wasn't sure if saturating it with WD-40 would work and not kill the electronics. how did you oil it?
Because I would love to have a working clock!
Here is where you and everyone needs to send your clocks. GREAT people and FAST service.The Clock Works 1745 Meta Lake Rd Eagle River, WI WWW.clockwks.com. My basic cost for cleaning and checking was $39. I sent additional money in case the coil should be bad. And they usually are. So for $92.00 total with shipping, I got my clock backed -cleaned-new coil-cleaned glass. Looked great.
AL (71 442)
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM

I bought one of quartz conversions from ebay, I think it was $75. Great service and the clock now works great and only draws milliamps!!
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Question; if the tic-toc-tac is converted to quartz, does it affect the Tac at all since it is in the same housing? I had a guy tell me they can convert the clock, but have to convert the Tac as well, all for about 400-500 dollars. I thought the Tac was run off a cable like a Speedo.???
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Scotty B
Question; if the tic-toc-tac is converted to quartz, does it affect the Tac at all since it is in the same housing? I had a guy tell me they can convert the clock, but have to convert the Tac as well, all for about 400-500 dollars. I thought the Tac was run off a cable like a Speedo.???
Sounds like someone was trying to get you to buy a rebuild service. No the clock can be changed out to quartz without rebuilding the tach. It's a clock that just happens to reside in the same housing as the tach.

re: the tach. It runs off electrical impulse from the distributor. There's no cable like a speedo. It does however require a shielded cable running inside the dash to prevent interference on the radio.
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:53 PM

Awesome thanks Allan!