General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Classic Car Transportation Beware

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:48 PM

Wonder who the carrier is?

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/08/2...ched/21225879/
Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

"Beware"???

While I am no fan of most car transport services (having had three bad experiences in four years), this one is certainly NOT the fault of the transport company. This is as much of a freak accident as if a meteor had hit the car.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 08:17 AM

"I am not angry if I have to eat the whole amount so be it"

I am not a jealous person but must be nice to be able to write off 50k so easily.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 08:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nj67
"I am not angry if I have to eat the whole amount so be it"

I am not a jealous person but must be nice to be able to write off 50k so easily.
Read the article:

"I went through a broker and he assured me everything was bonded and insured and its federal regulations. It had to be," Croxton was told.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Read the article:

Actually Joe if you watch the news cast at just about the minute mark they say that the under writer he is working with is not finding any evidence of a insurance policy for the car carrier. What you quoted is what he says he was told by the broker before arranging the transportation.

Last edited by nj67; August 23rd, 2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:20 AM

"Beware"???

While I am no fan of most car transport services (having had three bad experiences in four years), this one is certainly NOT the fault of the transport company. This is as much of a freak accident as if a meteor had hit the car.
You think I posted this blaming the carrier? hell no I didn't. I posted it because the guy is looking at losing his car & money because the carrier had no insurance. Thanks for being your sultry self.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:28 AM

First time around I did not read the article but just did and

"I went through a broker and he assured me everything was bonded and insured and its federal regulations. It had to be," Croxton was told. But an underwriter has been unable to find any evidence of an insurance policy for the car carrier."

Basically exactly what the video said...
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
You think I posted this blaming the carrier? hell no I didn't. I posted it because the guy is looking at losing his car & money because the carrier had no insurance. Thanks for being your sultry self.
I'm just reading your title:

Sorry, my mind reading isn't working well today, so I'm forced to go by the words on the screen
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Maybe the broker was trying to make a few extra bucks by using an uninsured carrier and chancing his luck.
If I was having any valuable item shipped I would want a written assurance that valid insurance was in place. I believe Sam Goldwyn said "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on"..........

Roger.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Maybe the broker was trying to make a few extra bucks by using an uninsured carrier and chancing his luck.
If I was having any valuable item shipped I would want a written assurance that valid insurance was in place. I believe Sam Goldwyn said "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on"..........

Roger.
Exactly. If the car owner didn't get ironclad verification of liability insurance, it SHOULD be his problem. If the transport company provided false documentation, that's a job for the lawyers (and I've been exposed to plenty of lying transport companies and brokers over the last few years). To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if this were the slimy insurance company trying to weasel out of another claim.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:40 AM
Administrator

If they were bonded, I would assume they were. The car owner should be somewhat covered. There should have been a minimum $75k bond.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 11:16 AM

Another thing the owner might could use is if the time the car was purchased and then destroyed was within the time frame that he had to add the car to his policy,that might help him. From the sound of the guy,he could take a $50K hit OK but some of us couldn't,thus the beware/warning from me.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 02:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Another thing the owner might could use is if the time the car was purchased and then destroyed was within the time frame that he had to add the car to his policy,that might help him. From the sound of the guy,he could take a $50K hit OK but some of us couldn't,thus the beware/warning from me.
This will be in court long before the buyer takes a $50K hit.

Again, if the buyer signed up with a shipper WITHOUT verifying liability insurance of the carrier, he SHOULD take the hit.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 03:35 PM

This will be in court long before the buyer takes a $50K hit.

Again, if the buyer signed up with a shipper WITHOUT verifying liability insurance of the carrier, he SHOULD take the hit.
How about if the trucker who is one of many Hispanics running freight in this country without a pot or a window? Try collecting from somebody who has nothing. I do not blame the guy,he probably went through Uship or something similar and got a lying @$$ broker who does nothing but arrange transportation. The broker has no idea if the trucker has anything other than a truck and that's sad.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

How about if the trucker who is one of many Hispanics running freight in this country without a pot or a window? Try collecting from somebody who has nothing. I do not blame the guy,he probably went through Uship or something similar and got a lying @$$ broker who does nothing but arrange transportation. The broker has no idea if the trucker has anything other than a truck and that's sad.
First, please keep comments on topic and off politics.

Second, I've shipped cars cross country three times in the last five years. The contract is with the BROKER, and it is the BROKER who assumes responsibility. The contract between the truck driver and the broker is the broker's problem, not the buyer's problem. The buyer's legal recourse is against the broker. The buyer didn't pick the trucker and has no contractual relationship with the trucker, only with the broker.

I also guarantee that any reputable broker requires proof of insurance from truck drivers that they contract with. If the truck driver has an accident and kills someone on the road, the estate will come after the broker, who has the deeper pockets. One can argue that whole legal precedent, but that's a topic for a different forum. Again, if the broker didn't require proof of insurance, it's the broker's problem.

Third, as I said before, this will end up in court if the insurance company doesn't pay off. I can guarantee that the truck driver/owner will not be part of that court case, only the buyer and the broker.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 04:18 PM

Second, I've shipped cars cross country three times in the last five years. The contract is with the BROKER, and it is the BROKER who assumes responsibility. The contract between the truck driver and the broker is the broker's problem, not the buyer's problem. The buyer's legal recourse is against the broker. The buyer didn't pick the trucker and has no contractual relationship with the trucker, only with the broker.

I also guarantee that any reputable broker requires proof of insurance from truck drivers that they contract with. If the truck driver has an accident and kills someone on the road, the estate will come after the broker, who has the deeper pockets. One can argue that whole legal precedent, but that's a topic for a different forum. Again, if the broker didn't require proof of insurance, it's the broker's problem.

Third, as I said before, this will end up in court if the insurance company doesn't pay off. I can guarantee that the truck driver/owner will not be part of that court case, only the buyer and the broker.
You win,I give up.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 04:59 PM

I know not everyone has access to a good truck and trailer but this stuff is why I get my own cars no matter where they are. I can take a week off work and drive to California and pick up a car for about the same price as a transport company and then things are in my control and I get to see some of the country at the same time. I would offer it as a service if Insurance and equipment was not so much money.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I know not everyone has access to a good truck and trailer but this stuff is why I get my own cars no matter where they are. I can take a week off work and drive to California and pick up a car for about the same price as a transport company and then things are in my control and I get to see some of the country at the same time. I would offer it as a service if Insurance and equipment was not so much money.
X 2 as i have two car trailers both open beds.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:36 PM

Not an advertisement nor a recommendation. A few years ago a friend of mine was demonstrating a 70 Chevelle to a prospective buyer. He had bought the car only two days before and had not purchased insurance. The prospective buyer carjacked my friend and the car was never seen again. My friend had Grundy insurance on three other cars he had and called them on the chance they would do something. Grundy told him not to worry, since he was a multiple car customer, that one was covered too no matter how long he owned it.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:37 PM
Administrator

With most insurance aren't newly purchased cars covered on existing policies automatically with the same values as the currently insured vehicles?
Old August 24th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Not an advertisement nor a recommendation. A few years ago a friend of mine was demonstrating a 70 Chevelle to a prospective buyer. He had bought the car only two days before and had not purchased insurance. The prospective buyer carjacked my friend and the car was never seen again. My friend had Grundy insurance on three other cars he had and called them on the chance they would do something. Grundy told him not to worry, since he was a multiple car customer, that one was covered too no matter how long he owned it.
Always bring friends and guns when selling or buying used cars. Hell, a rifle is a good thing to have around all the time. Makes not being bothered when you have to refuel at a gas station in the hood not a problem, just post a guard and look mean.
Old August 24th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That's great if you have the luxury of time. The last three cars I bought were all non-operating and from the west (Overton, NV; San Jose; and Reno). My dually with trailer gets 10 MPG if I'm lucky. Factoring gas costs both ways, plus even flea-bag hotels, it would have cost me twice as much to get the cars myself as to ship them. That doesn't count the vacation time I'd loose.
Old August 24th, 2015, 01:01 PM

THIS was my understanding when I had both my dads olds shipped to me earlier this year. Customer contracts with the broker, not with the truck; the broker has their own contract with the actual truck/driver. I can't imagine the broker would be w/o insurance/bond
Old August 24th, 2015, 07:01 PM

I have a friend in the wholesale auto business. I watched him school a vender on insurance one day. Man did I learn a lot. He wouldn't let any of his vehicles go until he had proof of insurance in his hand, which he copied and placed on file in his records, then he called the insurance company to verify the account. All in front of the vender. Very professional, but very thorough.