General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Chrome shops and bumpers, North Star Plating

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2019, 12:28 PM

Chrome shops and bumpers, North Star Plating

I was told at Homecoming that the vast majority of chrome shops do not do bumpers. They take them but send them out to a place called North Star Plating. I done a little checking and each place I called I would ask if they can plate something 6 foot long instead of saying a bumper. Most of them said right away that they can't do something that long. When I asked about bumpers they admitted that they send those out to be done somewhere else. Now I am wondering how many people are paying more for chrome work when some of it is farmed out and likely has a mark up.

Does anyone have experience with North Star Plating?
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:46 PM

I thought everyone was sending bumpers to Ogden Plating. They send a call tag, return it well packaged. Reasonable costs.
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:50 PM

DO NOT use North Star Plating in Brainerd, MN!

They did the bumpers on my 71 98 through Goodmark and the chrome on the rear bumper failed in a few years. I can see the nickle beneath the chrome in a few places on the back bumper. When I sent the bumper to be chromed it had light rust/pitting that could be buffed out with chrome polish and would then return in a few weeks after driving the car. I wish I had never used them!
Old June 26th, 2019, 03:19 PM

I don't know their current practices, but back in 2010 I had 3 old bumpers tuned up and plated by NorthStar via LKQ and although it took them a few tries to get it right, they turned out pretty good.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e3/#post171812
Old June 26th, 2019, 04:45 PM

I sent Ogden some pictures for a "ballpark" quote. I only have 7 pieces of pot metal and two bumpers.
Old June 26th, 2019, 04:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've been pretty satisfied with Tri City Plating in North Carolina for bumpers. As far as I know, they do them in house. I'll drop them off at Fall Carlisle and pick them up at Spring Carlisle.
Old June 26th, 2019, 06:17 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I used North Star out of Minnesota part of Keystone now or was back in 02 with good results and I'm picky. 64 did you try contacting them to reconcile? I had a rear 68 that they did. After a year the nickel started showing through and the trunk lip line was off. Sent it back and they called me and said my bumper has already been rechromed twice. Too thin do a third time. They had a cutlass core in stock. He (Steve I think) asked me if it would work if they cut out the 442 exhaust cutouts out of mine and grafted them into a Cutlass bumper. I OK'ed it. The results speak for themselves. Free of charge mine you.
Old June 26th, 2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've been pretty satisfied with Tri City Plating in North Carolina for bumpers. As far as I know, they do them in house. I'll drop them off at Fall Carlisle and pick them up at Spring Carlisle.
Is that the same Tri City as the one in Elizabethton TN? I had them do a rear bumper about yr ago.

http://www.tricityplating.com

Last edited by scrappie; June 26th, 2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old June 27th, 2019, 02:33 PM

Got my quote from Ogden, $5000 to $6000 for these 6 pieces and two bumpers.

Old June 27th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scrappie
Is that the same Tri City as the one in Elizabethton TN? I had them do a rear bumper about yr ago.

http://www.tricityplating.com
Yeah, sorry. I meant TN.
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Got my quote from Ogden, $5000 to $6000 for these 6 pieces and two bumpers.

That is insane!
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:23 PM

I’ve got my 65 cutlass bumpers at Ogden Chrome right now. Costing $3400 for the bumpers and the 2 back up light delete plates. Sherm’s wanted $5000. Due back here in mid July so we’ll see.....
Old June 27th, 2019, 04:42 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Crazy prices!
Old June 27th, 2019, 05:42 PM

Ya, I can't do that. I truly do understand that it is labor intensive but I just can't do it. I am going to have to get more quotes. If all the quotes are that much my car will have bad chrome on it and may not go as far as I planed.
Old June 27th, 2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gpc1
I’ve got my 65 cutlass bumpers at Ogden Chrome right now. Costing $3400 for the bumpers and the 2 back up light delete plates. Sherm’s wanted $5000. Due back here in mid July so we’ll see.....
$3400 is the quote I got for the bumpers as well. then the rest was these 6 parts. My bumpers are WAY smaller than the 65 bumpers and with less angles
Old June 27th, 2019, 07:32 PM

This is who I have used for chrome and never seen anyone better. I had them do a bunch of motorcycle parts when I was building them. I've personally been to the shop and see the quality of the work. Both before and after including pot metal stuff. Only thing is you have the ship the parts there so they can give you a real no **** price quote.

http://www.aandwproductions.com/chrome/index.php
Old June 27th, 2019, 08:34 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Last triple chrome bumper I did was the one in post #7. this was the early 2000s. That was less than $500 through Northstar. Have prices really gone up 600-1000%!!!
Yes, do shop. Do make sure its triple plates with all of the copper nickel steps.
Old June 28th, 2019, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Last triple chrome bumper I did was the one in post #7. this was the early 2000s. That was less than $500 through Northstar. Have prices really gone up 600-1000%!!!
Yes, do shop. Do make sure its triple plates with all of the copper nickel steps.
The guy that done my blue W-30 chrome I was not going to go back to. His quality was fine but I don't trust him really. He is also crazy slow. I am starting to think I will have to go back to him for at least the 6 pot metal parts.
Old June 28th, 2019, 03:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

TriCity did the bumpers for my 67 Delta, which are substantially more surface area than Eric's, for $750-$800 each. The front bumper has some fairly highly contoured end pieces, which required straightening, and these were additional cost (and not cheap) but the 62 parts aren't like this. For pot metal, I've used Qual Krom in Erie, PA. My friend had pieces done by Advance Plating. Frankly, I'd expect about $1000-$1500 for the two bumpers and $1500 to $2000 for the pot metal parts, as repairing the pits is extremely labor intensive to do it right. $3400 is not out of line.
Old June 28th, 2019, 04:11 AM

TriCity did the bumpers for my 67 Delta, which are substantially more surface area than Eric's, for $750-$800 each.
When North Star Plating did the bumpers on my 71 98 years ago they were about $750 per. Surprisingly, the rear bumper is the one that has flaws and it has very few curves and angles. The front bumper turned out great.

I was thinking about hand washing my Olds this weekend. I need to post a pic of my rear bumper. It's been years since I started trash talking Goodmark / North Star Plating and I haven't posted a pic.
Old June 28th, 2019, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Ya, I can't do that. I truly do understand that it is labor intensive but I just can't do it. I am going to have to get more quotes. If all the quotes are that much my car will have bad chrome on it and may not go as far as I planed.
Eric,

See if Sandy's Bumper Mart in Syracuse, NY can do the pot metal. They had a old timer there that specialized in pot metal. This was 10 years ago though. I'm not sure if he's still there.

I can't say I'd recommend them for the bumpers though. They didn't triple plate, just nickel & chrome. I lightly bumped my rear bumper and the plating came off around one of the mounting bolts. I didn't pay much though (like $325 each bumper) and they may triple plate for more money

http://www.sandysbumpermart.com/

Last edited by allyolds68; June 28th, 2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old June 28th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

You're going to get what you pay for. Places like Bumper Boyz are cheap for a reason.
Old June 28th, 2019, 05:56 AM

I forgot to mention the $3400 includes shipping to Ogden chrome and back ( about $400). I did check around and the highest
was Sherms in Sacramento,Ca at $5000. The cheapest was $700. I was afraid to go with the cheapest because of various reasons. Ogden chrome is used by Kindigit design so that’s a good reference. Also, these chrome shops know how rare the 65 bumpers are and difficult to find they are so, I think they may charge more for that reason. I’m just hoping they come out nice and don’t get lost or damaged in shipping.
Old June 28th, 2019, 07:54 AM

You're going to get what you pay for. Places like Bumper Boyz are cheap for a reason.
I know that all to well. Quality is usually time consuming and time is money. This is partly why I will not work on red inner fenders any more. People don't like to pay $2600 for a set of original red inner fenders to be worked on when repopes are so cheep. I am in the same shoes, if I can't get these parts done for $3K they will likely get put back on the car as they are. I located a set of NOS bumpers but I can't get him to put a price on them. I can pay up for them and still be less than re-chrome. The two parts at the base of the back glass, I have a "nice enough" used set that I thought about installing on my wifes car and using her mint originals on my car, lol. She would never know but I would sure hate to do that to here original paint and trim car.
Old June 28th, 2019, 09:24 AM

Bout to make me lose my lunch mentioning them.
Old June 29th, 2019, 11:39 AM

Well, I added 4 stainless trim rings to be polished, a shift lever, 2 door handles, and two really small pieces of pot metal. I took all of it to the place that done my W-30 chrome. His estimate was $2200 to $3200. I was happy with the work he done for me on the W-30 but the guy is a real pain to deal with and has a bad reputation. I am not really sure I done the right thing going back to him but I am risking it because I just can't afford the other places. I never had him do anything as big as a bumper so we will see what happens.
Old June 30th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Eric,

The bumpers for my 31 were just finished by North Star Plating in Minnesota. I’ll let you know what I think of their quality this week when I inspect them.
Old June 30th, 2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Eric,

The bumpers for my 31 were just finished by North Star Plating in Minnesota. I’ll let you know what I think of their quality this week when I inspect them.
Let us know. I have some bumpers to get done and they are sorta close by.
Old July 1st, 2019, 04:11 AM

Has anybody considered chrome powder coating or seen it in person?

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-ex...ed-powder.html

I imagine the DIY kits through Eastwood, Summit, etc. wouldn't turn out as good as advertised but I know you can get it professionally done too.
Old July 1st, 2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Has anybody considered chrome powder coating or seen it in person?

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-ex...ed-powder.html

I imagine the DIY kits through Eastwood, Summit, etc. wouldn't turn out as good as advertised but I know you can get it professionally done too.
I have had the extreme chrome powder done on many of the MX race quads I use to build. It is a great product for what I was using it for but looks nothing like chrome. After about a month or two of weather it looks even less like chrome.
Old July 1st, 2019, 06:36 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Bumpers came out nice. They also removed a pretty significant ding front the rear. Thumbs up for North Star Plating.

Old August 27th, 2019, 11:41 AM
MOTORHEAD

I dropped of a $5000 plating job at north star today
WoW the 1955 T BIRD guy is going to have a large bill
And the DeSOTO man too

Trying to get my bumpers checked out
I wish I had the original chit for show chrome job
Old August 28th, 2019, 11:02 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Make sure to Carnuba wax them right away to seal the pores...repeat annually. Go buy new wax applicators and Kimberly Clark wax removal towels.
Old August 28th, 2019, 12:22 PM

If you are going to get stuff rechromed, then not use it for a while, is it best to wax the shiz out of it and leave the wax on?
Old August 29th, 2019, 06:16 AM

I wouldn't leave the wax on the bumpers. I hand washed my car, used chrome polish on the bumpers and then used carnuba wax on the bumpers right after install.
Old August 29th, 2019, 09:50 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I have seen the wax collect moisture and cause tarnish marks if left on for any length of time, especially if live in the humid/cold regions.
If your gona store a re-chromed bumper for a long time you could periodically hit it with WD40 or just have the awareness to wax n wipe periodically until installation. then maintain at least annual application depending on conditions.
Wax makes cleaning off the bug guts easier. The guts can induce oxidation too.
New clean soft applicators(cheap) and clean non-abrasive wipes are how I've been doin it for years w/o issue..
My 1990 Northstar triple chrome shows very little evidence of being 29 years old.
Old August 29th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Gary

I had Keystone/North Star do a bumper for my Nordic Blue VC in 1985 and they had a lot to learn about straightening and how to avoid leaving grinding marks.

Imagine my reaction in 2017 when the painter for my Bamboo VC advised he would be sending the bumpers to North Star. He told me he had a contact who called on him and I would be extremely pleased. I trusted him. And he was correct. The front bumper was NOS with thin chrome, but the back was well bent. Both look perfect now.

During that build he passed through all outside purchases at cost. I paid under $900 for chroming two bumpers. The painter picked them up from the plater, so no shipping charge.

There must be a dual pricing structure on bumpers--one for individuals and one for restoration shops. Perhaps if any of you are on good terms with a body shop, you could get them to pass through their costs.
Old August 29th, 2019, 02:48 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by VC455

There must be a dual pricing structure on bumpers--one for individuals and one for restoration shops. Perhaps if any of you are on good terms with a body shop, you could get them to pass through their costs.
Interesting thought thou youd think they would want positive word of mouth either way.
Volume shops naturally get some break.
Chrome work is very labor-intensive and the chemicals are wildly regulated.
You may have just got the occasional bad meal out of a good restaurant.

Ill bet if you complained and sent it back they would have corrected it.

Both times I used them I had the same excellent results. I spoke directly with them and they had a truck running a route which included my body guy where I lived, so no shipping.

I dealt with them before and after Keystone bought them out.

There are two stages of chrome. Triple show plating and regular. I always go with triple.
Old August 29th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
You may have just got the occasional bad meal out of a good restaurant.
The painter claimed that they operate two networks. If the bumpers don't enter Keystone's shop by way of the restoration network, they get the standard "who cares?" network treatment.
Old August 29th, 2019, 04:10 PM
MOTORHEAD

LKQ corp
Now owns keystone , North Star too? I am not sure about that
When I drop off any chrome project I insist on the show chrome job.

I have been dealing with keystone since the mid 1990's

Quick Reply: Chrome shops and bumpers, North Star Plating