General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Chevy engine in my Olds...

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM

Chevy engine in my Olds...

I may be buying a 1964 f-85 today.If the car checks out as I've been told by current owner .It currently has a 330 .My intention will be to put a BB chevy in it (454).Anyone on this site done this .I'm thinking I'll need a chevy crossmember and chevy tranny .Any input ? How maney post do I have to put in the beginners section ,before I can move on to the other sections,
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by richard head
I may be buying a 1964 f-85 today.If the car checks out as I've been told by current owner .It currently has a 330 .My intention will be to put a BB chevy in it (454).Anyone on this site done this .I'm thinking I'll need a chevy crossmember and chevy tranny .Any input ? How maney post do I have to put in the beginners section ,before I can move on to the other sections,
Yeah, Chevy did it. It was called the Chevelle.

You'll not get a lot of help for this swap on this forum. Can it be done? Sure. The A-body cars have common frames. We build Oldmobiles primarily because they are NOT bellybutton Chevies. It's your car, do what you want.

By the way, do your friends call you Dick? (Hey he picked the screen name, not me)
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:59 AM

No my friends don't call me dick ,but you can.That will eliminate any arguement.I have a shop well known for hi-end work .I'm not knocking your Olds .My Chevys aren't belly button .You sound kind of like some Harley riders that actually think their bikes are all American .I like all bikes (they have motors ) I like most cars (they have motors ) Never owned a Ford ,but am currently helping a friend put together his 69 r code Mustang.If I had no Chevy pieces I'd be building an aluminum headed 455.To me building what I have makes sense .I don't care what it will be worth .I don't buy my stuff for the next guy
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

I don't know anything about your shop and I can't critique your work. As I noted this forum is primarily composed of people who build Olds-powered cars. I would have thought that it is pretty common knowledge that all A-body cars use the same frames.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM

you are right Joe ,it is common knowledge that A body frames are A body frames.That being said I thought i was looking for some friendly input on any that have done this on a 64 A body and how they felt about the outcome .You can read into this I haven't done an olds to chevy crossmember swap .I'm sure there is not much to it .But I was looking for input such as where to get the crossmembers (other than a junkyard ) Most of the swaps /hotrods I/we have done in the past have been total fab deals .Didn't have the conveniance of swapping drivetrains in the same class of car.I just happen to really like the way this 64 f85 looks and was only looking for "friendly" advice.I'm darn sure not trying to stir anything up .Hell I like anything with a motor ,always have.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

you are right Joe ,it is common knowledge that A body frames are A body frames.That being said I thought i was looking for some friendly input on any that have done this on a 64 A body and how they felt about the outcome .You can read into this I haven't done an olds to chevy crossmember swap .I'm sure there is not much to it .But I was looking for input such as where to get the crossmembers (other than a junkyard ) Most of the swaps /hotrods I/we have done in the past have been total fab deals .Didn't have the conveniance of swapping drivetrains in the same class of car.I just happen to really like the way this 64 f85 looks and was only looking for "friendly" advice.I'm darn sure not trying to stir anything up .Hell I like anything with a motor ,always have.
I don't know what crossmember swap you're talking about. The main crossmember under the engine is welded in and should already be drilled for mounts for all the various GM engines. The trans crossmembers are different but equivalent. You can use either.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Joe
Now you just proved what I don't know .I was told I would need to swap the front crossmember .And I didn't think it was welded ,I though it had those giant steel "rivets " Years ago I knew everything .The older I get the less it appears i know. Thank you
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM

You Don't have to change Crossmembers.... Just find an A Body GM car with a Chevrolet Engine at the local scrapyard or a G Body and look where the motor mounts bolt into the frame. That should simplify your swap.
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 85olds442
You Don't have to change Crossmembers.... Just find an A Body GM car with a Chevrolet Engine at the local scrapyard or a G Body and look where the motor mounts bolt into the frame. That should simplify your swap.
G-body and A-body Chevies use completely different mounts. The A-body cars used rubber mounts bolted to the block with metal brackets on the frame. The G-body used the rubber clamshell mounts on the frame and metal brackets on the block
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM

455 would you like one

Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM

Just buy some 65/66 Chevelle big block frame mounts and use 65/66 Chevelle big block engine mounts...thats about all you should need...then play with the trans mounting...

I wrestled with putting a chev engine in one of my 65's because I did it years ago and it worked fine..ran good...but Im older now...wiser...couldnt bring myself to do it this time...
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:16 AM

Buy a chevelle, and sell me the cutlass! No reason to drop a chevy in it. I wouldnt buy a 64 Chevelle and drop a Olds in it. Come on man! Have some respect for Olds.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, Chevy did it. It was called the Chevelle.

Now thats classic!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM

i`m a die hard mopar guy building a 455`72 cutlass

imagine if i put a hemi in the cutlass? that would be totally insane. HEY WAIT,,,,,,,,,there`s an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,, nahhhhh, just kiddn
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Ben

I'd have no qualms running a bbc in my olds if i had one handy (unless i also had a BBO handy).
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I'd have no qualms running a bbc in my olds if i had one handy (unless i also had a BBO handy).
cute little tiger there. god bless
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

F-85.... I thought you'd be all about ditching a small block for a big block.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
F-85.... I thought you'd be all about ditching a small block for a big block.

Come on now Jeremy. You know me better then that! I love BBs, but i hate CHEVYS in a CUTLASS!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Captain of my ship

just an opinion

personnaly if I had an Olds shell I would be looking for an olds motor and tranny and if I had a chevy motor i would look for a chevy shell. Makes the job smoother and worth more long term.I can understand some don't care about long term so I am not gonna knock anyone for doing their thing. after all I knew a guy who put a 350sbc in a celica and my brother-in-laws brother put a 396 in a pinto runabout.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM

how many of these threads are there?
this is a Oldsmobile forum. Your question although im sure not on purpose is like someone coming into your home and telling you how much better theirs is.
There are a lot more Chevy's out there than are beloved Oldsmobile's. why not buy one of them or put a 455 in it and enjoy a classic olds.
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Captain of my ship

Talking Info

I think he found out what he wanted to know and probably went to the chevy site to find people who deal with chev motors.He will probably find more help there unless he decides to sell the F-85
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Old thread guys...check the date. Yer gett'n emotional about spilt milk that was cleaned up last week.
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by mrsuperpro
imagine if i put a hemi in the cutlass? that would be totally insane. HEY WAIT,,,,,,,,,there`s an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,, nahhhhh, just kiddn
Not what I would do, but that would be kinda cool.
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Captain of my ship

Thumbs up YEP

That is why I stated that he probably went elsewhere to get any other info. I was hoping he would consider selling or tradingthe F-85 he has for a chev. I am sure there are a few guys who would like to find one for their 455.