General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Check out this article!

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Check out this article!

Hopefully the guy can convince his legislators to change the law.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/clas...ge=AAHfZys_1|3

He might have to get a P.O. Box in another state and register the car there so he can drive it. It's my understanding that folks in CA have to do this sometimes.
Old September 13th, 2019, 12:32 PM

For the people, by the people. What does that mean? Seems like the only time the gov. wants classic cars around is when they have a car cruise raising money for some cause or collecting taxes from sales.
Old September 13th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Glad we don't live in Nebraska.
Old September 13th, 2019, 02:09 PM

What seems like a simple problem with one car can open the door for other abuses. Perhaps an "Antique" car loophole would keep "totaled out Toyota's" and such from using the loophole legislation.
....Just my two cents worth.
Old September 13th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

The issue here is that the car was apparently scrapped at one time and Nebraska doesn't have a process for undoing that. This isn't the mandate against old cars that some make it out to be. It's only bureaucracy in action. Other states have a salvage title process that allows a wrecked car to be reinspected and registered again. Apparently Nebraska is not so enlightened. More to the point, this once again proves that you need to get the paperwork on a project car COMPLETELY CLEAN before you spend a dime on restoration. If you don't, well, sorry, you get no sympathy from me.
Old September 13th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Perhaps they can sell it to someone in a state that uses a bill of sale and then buy it back with a clean title?
Old September 14th, 2019, 07:55 AM

The problem is he is trying to fight bureaucracy instead of working around them. Now they know him. Had he made it a "different car,' it wouldn't have been an issue.
Old September 15th, 2019, 06:25 PM

The next trip my 70 Cutlass will soon make will be to the junk yard, hauled away on a flatbed.
Old September 16th, 2019, 01:24 PM

Well, I do live in Nebraska and what I can tell you living here and loving classic cars and rebuilding them, Nebraska does not mess around you better have you t's crossed dotted I's and then a witness to it all along with records, I had an issue once I purchased a car from out of state and the person I bought from when filling out the title where it came to the date they wrote 4/10/10 then scribbled out the 4 because it was actually may the 5th month and they placed a 5 there and had it notorized, they made me go back to Arizona to get a new title, this was after passing vehicle inspection, I wouldn't say they are against classic cars here but you better have your paperwork and documentation, this guy is in for a long and expensive battle it will probably be faster and cheaper to do what they recommended and reassemble the car!