General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Changed Oil but forgot to fill !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2021, 04:52 PM

Been there done that !! here's the deal, I was working as a tech our Coats rep came in and sold our shop a load of **** on a engine analyzer
super digital whiz bang do everything with a print out, I hated it, I was used to a good ole Sun 1120 , anyway the shop ran a promo for a free engine analysis with a oil change just so they could hand the cust. the print out and say here it shows you you need a tune up (load of crap)
anyway I had drained the oil installed a new filter the advisor was bugging me to get the test done so he could show the cust. I got everything hooked up and started the series of test one of which was a snap acceleration test to test peak spark plug KV, during the test I heard the eng. start to knock !!! oh crap !! in my haste to start the test I forgot to put oil in the eng !! I remember the car it was a 1979 Chrysler LeBaron, I shut her down looked around sheepishly to see if anybody had noticed my blunder ,thank god no, I put in 5 QTS started it back up and to my surprise no apparent damage, dodged a bullet and nobody but me knew, thank God. P/S the cust. didn't buy the tune up !!!!!
Old April 20th, 2021, 05:50 AM

Since we are on the subject of funny oil change stories, I’ll share this one.

I worked at LAST (in my town) full service gas station with 4 service bays. Young guy brought in a early 80s Plymouth Horizon. Said it’s running like crap, smoking, and leaking oil everywhere. Turns out, he filled the engine with oil until he could see it in the valve cover. He must have had 20 quarts in there! When we told him what was wrong, he just kinda nodded his head with a look of amusement. He commented he wondered how we could change oil for 19.95 (or whatever the price was at that time) when he said he had over 30 bucks in oil.
Old April 21st, 2021, 06:03 AM

Here's my oil-related Ah, Crap! story:

Many moons ago my my then-wife had loaned her car to a "friend." We eventually recovered it from the local impound lot. It had been hammered pretty well by the "person" it was loaned to, then abandoned on the side of some street many miles from our home. We never heard from the "person" again. Eventually we learned the guy got drunk as a skunk, hit at least one other car, then several concrete median curbs. He continued on down the road on four flats till the steel belts from the disintegrating radials completely wrapped around the axle and hubs bringing the car to a halt. We bailed it out of Impound about six months after it went AWOL. During the extended body and mechanical resurrection I changed the oil. Did everything nice, new filter, fresh oil in the case, used oil bottled up for recycle, then noticed a BIG puddle of fresh oil on the garage floor. Dammit! I forgot to replace the drain plug before pouring 5 quarts into the engine - DOH That was a mess to clean up under the car still on jack stands.
Old April 21st, 2021, 08:48 AM

Worst thing I did oil related was forgot to check gasket came off on cheap *** oil filter the lube place put on my mom's explorer. I use good oil filters, so I don't remember to check. Double stacked gaskets, oil EVERYWHERE on startup. At least it was clean oil.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 06:44 PM

I think what happens more often is to change the oil and forget to replace the plug. These oil change places that have a downstairs pit once they put the drain container under a car never know they drained the oil twice. It would really show up with a little pan like I have. Like Koda the only issue I've ever had was with a brand x oil filter that leaked.