General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Center Armrest

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Center Armrest

I'm putting a 4 way power bench with a center armrest into my 72 Cutlass S. I like the look of the seat. Right now the car has a perfect black bench seat, but you can't convert it to the armrest model without totally buggering it up. I'll have to get the upholstery shop to redo the power seat (foam and vinyl) because it looks like crap and the pattern is from the Cutlass Supreme. So, it'll be a one off so to speak. (I'm sure there are others who have done this too)

My problem: Does anyone have the molded plastic shroud that goes around the back of the center armrest? It was used to finish the look of the armrest from behind. Only on the Cutlass Supreme as far as i know. The piece I have is cracked and I don't know if it's salvagable. Anyway, do any of you have this plastic piece in really good to excellent condition? Or is this something that upholstery shop would be able to get?
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
My problem: Does anyone have the molded plastic shroud that goes around the back of the center armrest? It was used to finish the look of the armrest from behind. Only on the Cutlass Supreme as far as i know. The piece I have is cracked and I don't know if it's salvagable. Anyway, do any of you have this plastic piece in really good to excellent condition? Or is this something that upholstery shop would be able to get?
I think the center armrest was a Supreme thing.

If you can't get the shroud, then I doubt a shop would be able to, unless they know of a source to get one used. Most shops will not want to try to look, but you never know...
Condition is the big issue, as the stock plastic piece gets brittle with age.
I have not seen any repros, but with all the car parting that goes on on this board, I would think you would be able to find one here.

My seats are going out to the upholstry shop in the next week or so and I am going to remove my shroud, as it is in good shape and I do not want anything to happen to it...
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:51 AM

If you cant locate a new one, check with some local body shops. They may be able to "weld" the existing unit back together again. I have seen this done with external pieces, so I am guessing it can be done with interior stuff as well. When I worked in a body shop, we would occasionally repair interior pieces. This was some time ago when plastiweld type stuff was just coming on the market though so I never had the opportunity to mess with it.
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by csstrux
If you cant locate a new one, check with some local body shops. They may be able to "weld" the existing unit back together again. I have seen this done with external pieces, so I am guessing it can be done with interior stuff as well. When I worked in a body shop, we would occasionally repair interior pieces. This was some time ago when plastiweld type stuff was just coming on the market though so I never had the opportunity to mess with it.
Neat. Do the "plastwelds" hold together really well? I've never really heard of this process. If it can repair the plastic that would be great. The problem I've got is not that the plastic is too brittle, it's that someone managed to tear it. Don't know how, but....
Thanks for the tip. I'll check and see if there's anything on evilbay or hemmings for sale.

Rob, Yes you're right. It is a Supreme seat. Only thing is I wanted the bench with armrest for my "S". The only reupholstery kits that the aftermarket suppliers will sell for this seat matches the Supreme stitching. That's why I have to let the upholstery shop use my bench as the template for setting up the stitching to match on the armrest seat. LMK how your upholstery turns out. If you don't mind I'd also be curious how much they charged.
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:49 PM

I'm not sure about interior parts, but they were doing it with damaged bumpers when I was still involved. I imagine that if it can be fixed it will be a durable repair. The process, as I understand it is essentially the same as gas welding steel. They use a filler rod of compatible material and concentrated heat to bond the two pieces together again. If the piece was torn there will likely be distortion which may not be repairable. If it can be repaired, post results, assuming you go that route.