General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

CAUTION buying from Inline Tube

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2013 | 05:54 AM

CAUTION buying from Inline Tube

Say what you will about The Parts Place - they at least do not charge you for a part until it is in stock and shipped. A month ago I but in a order at Inline Tube - 17 items - I was charged for all 17 and rec'd only 15 - I called this morning as I have not rec'd the other 2 and have not heard anything from them and was advised the other 2 items were no longer being produced at this time, and I had to request a refund. They have just lost a customer forever.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 06:11 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

In reality that's not that bad. I had to wait 2 months for engine bearings from king through summitracing.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 07:01 AM

There were tons of threads on realoldspower back in the day about how awful they were to deal with. I hear classictube is the way to go.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 07:06 AM
Administrator

I don't understand your point here. There are times when an out of stock part becomes discontinued for various reasons. They are going to refund your money or credit your card. The only thing your out is a bit of time and some inconvenience. All businesses run into this from time to time. I understand your venting, however I woundn't berate a vender because of one transaction that went south.

The measure of a company is how they handle a bad situation.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 07:22 AM

You know i've had the same issue with Rockauto and they had the new part in the mail to me within 30 minutes of calling them.

Inline tube unfortunately makes really nice stuff.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 07:31 AM

I bought quite a few items from Inline when I was restoring my Cutlass. Lots of the detail items. One order, I received duplicate items of almost the entire order. It was on me to request a refund and get a return number, return the parts, and then they charged me a restocking fee. I attribute this to growing pains. When you call, you also don't get a person who knows about the cars. Just an order taker.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 08:36 AM

That is a bummer that you had a bad experience.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 08:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think that the point here is that Inline knew that they didn't have the parts, and that they weren't ever going to get them ("... no longer being produced...") at the time they packed the order, but they didn't tell him a darned thing for a month, and then told him when he called that he'd have to "request a refund."

The parts were out of stock permanently. They should have automatically refunded him as soon as they knew.
If he hadn't noticed, or remembered, they would have kept his money without ever intending to send him any parts, which, if I'm not mistaken, is called "stealing" (or "fraud" for the hoity-toity).

Despicable, really.

- Eric
Old October 28th, 2013 | 08:57 AM

I am a strong believer in venting about bad transactions. Keep it up! Please! I want to know what is happening and I could care less about company policies and things happening. A respectable Company will take car of their customers and notify them of any issues as they arise. And not take the money and wait for the customer to complain. IMO we all need to be better at demanding these Corporations meet their end of these agreements. We pay, they provide. Period! If we all report these issues, guess what! They'll get corrected. But if we accept these issue without speaking up; Guess what! They will not get corrected. IMO, and, sorry for the vent.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 09:06 AM

I am a strong believer in freedom of speech. Slander and libel, of course, are illegal, so it behooves one to be accurate.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 09:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I think that the point here is that Inline knew that they didn't have the parts, and that they weren't ever going to get them ("... no longer being produced...") at the time they packed the order, but they didn't tell him a darned thing for a month, and then told him when he called that he'd have to "request a refund."

The parts were out of stock permanently. They should have automatically refunded him as soon as they knew.
If he hadn't noticed, or remembered, they would have kept his money without ever intending to send him any parts, which, if I'm not mistaken, is called "stealing" (or "fraud" for the hoity-toity).

Despicable, really.

- Eric
Eric, just as you or I run into backorders so do suppliers. Then sometimes when a supplier places an order for restock, they find out that a part is no longer available, sometimes 30-60 days down the road. Normally as an end user, what I do, is not accept any back orders and find an alternate source for those items or perhaps the whole order. I would not assume ILT woke up that morning and decided to "steal" anyone's money. There have been many satisfactory transactions through ILT users here and on other sites. Just my opinion.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 09:35 AM

I have had nothing but great luck with Inline Tube with the restoration of my W30. I just recently received an order that was missing a couple things and I called them up, and they shipped out the items that day. Everybody makes mistakes it is how they handle them. Inline has great products and great service.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 09:36 AM

That's a shame. I ordered all my brake lines and trans cooler lines from them for my 68. They were on the money with fitment and even price. Saw them at a swap meet, ordered something and had it a few days later as well. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 09:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Eric, just as you or I run into backorders so do suppliers. Then sometimes when a supplier places an order for restock, they find out that a part is no longer available, sometimes 30-60 days down the road. Normally as an end user, what I do, is not accept any back orders and find an alternate source for those items or perhaps the whole order. I would not assume ILT woke up that morning and decided to "steal" anyone's money. There have been many satisfactory transactions through ILT users here and on other sites. Just my opinion.
If they knew it was discontinued, and they accepted his money for it, then it was their duty to inform him as soon as they found out, and offer him his choice of credit or refund, or to just refund the money directly to his card.

If they knew, but they sat on it, that's dishonest, and I would take it as stealing until proven otherwise.
If I took money from a member here for a part, didn't have the part (mayne I sold it to someone else by mistake), but never told him or sent back the money, would the members here be right to call me a thief? Darned right, they would.

- Eric
Old October 28th, 2013 | 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I am a strong believer in freedom of speech. Slander and libel, of course, are illegal, so it behooves one to be accurate.
"The measure of a company is how they handle a bad situation."

This is what led to their unmentionable status at ROP...

when they commenced to accusing me of fraud, basically, which was baseless. When called on the carpet- I saved provable lies and counted them- they withdrew their presence and so the head man removed all such threads.

PS - be aware that it's not slander, libel or any other illegal activity if the story is TRUE. It is the spreading of FALSE defamatory remarks that gets one in trouble. I guess you can drink beer at the Homecoming and steal property and destroy property and assault and injure people if you have enough money though... and get away with it. And, yes, I have photos.

My dealing with ILT was that they supplied pump to carb lines that could not possibly fit, then tried to claim the fuel pump must be wrong, then when the photo of the factory AC pump sporting the ill fitting line was produced, tried to weasel out in other ways including the above actual libelous remarks about me. Among the enumerated lies was that they "knew it was going to be a problem" because I placed the order. The truth is that I was doing the resto work, whereas another person was buying the parts, so there was no possible connection to me during the ordering phase.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If they knew it was discontinued, and they accepted his money for it, then it was their duty to inform him as soon as they found out, and offer him his choice of credit or refund, or to just refund the money directly to his card.

If they knew, but they sat on it, that's dishonest, and I would take it as stealing until proven otherwise.
If I took money from a member here for a part, didn't have the part (mayne I sold it to someone else by mistake), but never told him or sent back the money, would the members here be right to call me a thief? Darned right, they would.

- Eric
I think this pinpoints the pertinent question ... at what point did ILT know the parts were discontinued? They may have been under the impression that stock was inbound and put the order on hold .. and only investigated the supply delay when the OP called ... Or they may have knowingly held his money until he complained. We don't know. I don't suppose we have a member with in inside contact who can answer that question, do we?
Old October 28th, 2013 | 10:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmm,
I have to take a + stand for ILT. They have been great on the phone, and when I did get an order that had a goof (packing put a single axle gasket instead of dual gasket as ordered) they were quick to apologize and get the order corrected - at their own expense which can be significant coming to Canada. I've had really good experieinces dealing with them and will continue to recommend them. BTW, they pack really well, which I can't say for Fusicks. I've had poor customer service, packing and wrong parts from Fusick in which they would fall under Eric, Octania and your bad books category as 'losing a customer for life'. Unlike you though, I believe in giving a vendor a fair chance. Fusicks screwed up 2 orders with me and was rude both times, but I got my product after having to argue with them. Both times were not pleasant, but I'll still give them a shout out for having decent parts. BAP was rude to me on 2 orders, insulted me and didn't refund any of the overcharge they caused, so I don't recommend them at all in spite of them having all the same stuff as everyone else.

So, in a nutshell I think the 'balance' of a company's reputation shouldn't be based on just a single order, but that's just my opinion. Limiting to that to me seems somewhat unfair. Did they actually say they would't do anything for you at ILT? I'd be surprised if that's the case. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't what you expected, but I'd be really surprised if they didn't make it right.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 10:26 AM

Decent Response for me

I have not purchased very many items from ILT, but one transaction stands out for me. Entirely My Fault: I inadvertantly submitted an incorrect PN (unknown at the time) and paid for it via CC. When the incorrect item arrived, I reviewed everything and saw that it was my error. I called them, enquiring about re-order/substitution. They said "mail it back with this RMA, and we'll make it right." They sent me the correct part at no additional charge; no freight, no re-stock etc. I came out slightly ahead in my book because they paid shipping twice, compared to my once. They said "we're even; thanks for doing business with us."

Just my $.02.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by RG70442
Say what you will about The Parts Place - they at least do not charge you for a part until it is in stock and shipped. A month ago I but in a order at Inline Tube - 17 items - I was charged for all 17 and rec'd only 15 - I called this morning as I have not rec'd the other 2 and have not heard anything from them and was advised the other 2 items were no longer being produced at this time, and I had to request a refund. They have just lost a customer forever.
Good luck with your new vendor...."Parts Place."
Old October 28th, 2013 | 03:29 PM

Yes, to clarify - these were parts that are not going to be ever sold by them again and they knew it when I placed the on-line order, I was not upset that the parts were not available any longer, I am upset that they charged me for them - knowing the order would never be filled - according to the sale person this morning they knew 4 weeks before I placed the order that those items had been discontinued, and me having to contact them to inquire about it and request a refund. I have given them plenty of chances ordering thousands of dollars and over 25 orders in which many of those orders had an error of them pulling the wrong part or missing items - it is not just a mistake or an error but it is a pattern in which even those sticking up for them have stated they have encountered on this thread. They do have quality parts, but have an issue with quality control on parts pulling and billing.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 03:49 PM

Just call your credit card company they will give you your money back. There are lots of companies out there that have bad service and that's why you use a credit card to do business with them.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 04:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... these were parts that are not going to be ever sold by them again and they knew it when I placed the on-line order...
... they charged me for them - knowing the order would never be filled...
... they knew 4 weeks before I placed the order that those items had been discontinued, and me having to contact them to inquire about it and request a refund.
So, hypotheticals aside, my initial premise is confirmed here.

I have no axe to grind against Inline Tube or any other company - I have yet to be screwed by any of them (aside from Fusick saying in their catalogue that their paint cans contain 16 ounces when they actually contain 11 ounces), but I will emphasize that the behavior described here: Representing that you have a part that you know you don't have, then accepting money for it, then not returning the money until the buyer demands it back, if it were performed by an individual on this board, would earn the strongest possible condemnation from everyone here.

If the story is true (and it does not have the ring of falseness to it), then this behavior is despicable.

- Eric
Old October 28th, 2013 | 04:33 PM
wait.... what....

I know what your saying RG70442, although i have had good service and parts from ILT, i have also recently been screwed over by a vendor that others have had good luck with and recommended, and it sucks!
Old October 28th, 2013 | 04:54 PM

Yes, to clarify - these were parts that are not going to be ever sold by them again and they knew it when I placed the on-line order, I was not upset that the parts were not available any longer, I am upset that they charged me for them - knowing the order would never be filled - according to the sale person this morning they knew 4 weeks before I placed the order that those items had been discontinued, and me having to contact them to inquire about it and request a refund. I have given them plenty of chances ordering thousands of dollars and over 25 orders in which many of those orders had an error of them pulling the wrong part or missing items - it is not just a mistake or an error but it is a pattern in which even those sticking up for them have stated they have encountered on this thread. They do have quality parts, but have an issue with quality control on parts pulling and billing.
Just curious, how many out of the over 25 orders were not correct?
Old October 28th, 2013 | 06:02 PM

Well I saw the number of responses here in such a short time and had to check it out. Have had good experiences with most places for my olds (minus bap). Will say that when restoring my first car a '70 camaro, that when the console just started being reproduced i purchased left and right side plates and the main body as seperate parts. I received 2 left sides, then had to pay shipping to have the right side shipped to me. Got the left side again. Paid return shipping again got the correct side (yay). 7 months later didn't have the main console yet called every week for 3 months, finally got irritated with my own patience and asked for someone in charge who informed me that the console was no longer available in separate pieces and recieved a refund (yay). But when all was over and I was making $3.15 an hour an over $200. purchase was a big deal and i dealt with a shi**y looking console on the car 'til I sold it. So, thanks Classic industries! I have never gotten a part from you that was available anywhere else in the last 20 years (it only had to be that way one time!). Your complete incompetence and absolute apathy to this customer 20 years ago cost you thousands of dollars since then. And showed me better to look around at the competition.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 06:05 PM

Since we're venting.... I have a true story about "the Parts Place". After having lots of problems finding a truly rust free trunk lid for my 71 Convertible, I "bit the bullet" and bought a "NOS" convertible trunk lid from them. It cost $1500.00 -CRAZY MONEY! (this was about 10 yrs ago) I went down to their store in the Chicago area (about 450 miles round trip) to pick it up. I took it to my restoration guy and he said it was a Cutlass Supreme hardtop lid that had the corners cut off and rewelded and it was warped from that work. He had a old Olds parts book and the box the lid was in had the # on it for a hardtop lid. So I traveled the 450 miles again and they refunded my money. But It cost me 2 days and 900 miles travel. I have never bought anything from them since and I'm sure I never will. I still don't believe they honestly didn't know that lid was a cobbled up mess.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 06:18 PM

Hmm....I must just be lucky. The few dealings I've had with ILT have been fine. (Once you accept their prices & understand that some things they claim are 'Olds correct' are not, but are actually generic Chebby pieces)

Twice they stepped up to correct a problem that they caused. I still have a '68-72 hardtop fuel return line because I ordered the 'vert one. They quickly shipped me the correct one and told me to keep the wrong one. Another time they shipped free some back ordered pieces that weren't in the original big order I picked up onsite.

:shrug:
Old October 28th, 2013 | 06:20 PM
morgan

I have also had good results with inl,their parts are acurate i always ask if its''made in usa" and they always say yes,but im not
sure...i believe they have a leg up on fusiicks for example compare the inner wheel well mounting hardware bolts inl is accurate to the original bolts with tapered ends fusicks are innacurate with generic flat ends...i think inline tube goes out of the way to provide accurate looking and fitting parts
Old October 28th, 2013 | 06:23 PM

The whole idea of charging you before an item ships really irks me.
I can see a rare exception in a special order item, but that is it.

Brothers did the same. Charge immediately, then some parts came weeks and months later, and some not at all! And they said they kept sending replacements but I guess the shippers had big uses for them instead... Never used them again.

Barns and noble had a common policy (that I like) that an item is not charged for until marked shipped. I made an order there long ago and I got the shipping note in a day, and the charge. After a few days, no delivery. Tracking # still said "waiting for information". This went on for 2 months. I called them and they said it was on backorder - go figure.
I told them to cancel it and they agreed. A week later the item I ordered finally arrived and no credit issued.
That there is a good reason to not go back there either. Geez...
Old October 28th, 2013 | 08:29 PM
Administrator

I am not going to condemn or condone their procedure or methods. I think since there is a refund, problem solved. All the OP is out of is some time, it happens and it's misfortunate.
Old October 28th, 2013 | 08:39 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pogo69
I have also had good results with inl,their parts are acurate i always ask if its''made in usa" and they always say yes,but im not
sure...i believe they have a leg up on fusiicks for example compare the inner wheel well mounting hardware bolts inl is accurate to the original bolts with tapered ends fusicks are innacurate with generic flat ends...i think inline tube goes out of the way to provide accurate looking and fitting parts
I agree. They have always done right be me as well. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience but usually they have excellent customer service.
Old October 29th, 2013 | 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bunser
Just curious, how many out of the over 25 orders were not correct?
At least 10, I guess they feel it is a privilege to spend your hard earned money with them because on the first few they would say - mail us back the wrong part that we sent you and then we will send you the correct part - not. You send me the part I ordered and paid shipping on with a return pre paid shipping label or postage and then I will send you back the wrong part you pulled. The correct parts issue has gotten better, but this last deal just irked me the wrong way, and it is not huge money, but the lack of having some system in place to catch this is wrong. They do have quality parts (so much so that I was willing to tolerate a time consuming on-line ordering process and a not so accurate order filling process) but be cautious - check all you orders carefully and when they bill you for a part they do not send for whatever reason - stay on top of it.

http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/rggoleno/library/

Last edited by RG70442; October 29th, 2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: add
Old October 29th, 2013 | 04:06 AM

I got some gojacks from summit a couple weeks agoe they said 9"wide tires worked on them i thought more like 6 so called they said send back no problem I shipped them back to the tune of 176 bucks for shipping . Yesterday I got a check in the mail from them for 176 with a please shop with them again letter very happy with them. Parts place no so much.
Old October 29th, 2013 | 07:06 AM

Be careful of dealings with BAP. Placed an order back in June and they doubled a couple of items and charged for them. Did not notice until too late. Will not use them again, use caution.
Old October 29th, 2013 | 04:55 PM
Olds Nut

i have ordered from in line tube several times with no issues!, sorry to hear about your problems
Old October 29th, 2013 | 05:43 PM

I don't usually get too involved when people are venting but what I do know about these guys is that they are real car guys and not guys with cars. When they make a part they try to make it exact and not something you have to beat into place like most other parts suppliers.

We all make mistakes in life and in business it is more about how they corrected the mistake. If they took care of it when brought to their attention I guess that is what we all hope for. I have been buying from them for years and their quality is as good as it gets in this hobby for fit and finish.

Just my 2 cents and BTW they also did all the custom lines for my 68 Hurst 442 FWD car to be unveiled in Chicago.
Old October 29th, 2013 | 06:22 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by 442Fred
BTW they also did all the custom lines for my 68 Hurst 442 FWD car to be unveiled in Chicago.
I am so looking foward to seeing this car in person in Chicago.
Old October 29th, 2013 | 06:46 PM

I don't think anyone was questioning if they were "real car guys" or if they sold quality parts.
Just warning my fellow car guys that I ordered parts that had been discontinued at the time of the order per ILT sales, and was still charged for the parts and not notified that those parts had been discontinued, and only refunded because I caught it and called them and requested a refund. We can all decide on our own if that is a good or bad business action or the way to treat your fellow real and make believe, tribute or clone car guys. The dollar amount is not the issue or what is in question, it is something much greater than that. By merely stating a companies actions you are accused of slander, libel or berating, what does it say about that companies action. I have copies of the transactions for anyone that wants copies - pm me your e-mail address.

Last edited by RG70442; October 29th, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2013 | 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
"The measure of a company is how they handle a bad situation."

This is what led to their unmentionable status at ROP...

My dealing with ILT was that they supplied pump to carb lines that could not possibly fit, then tried to claim the fuel pump must be wrong, then when the photo of the factory AC pump sporting the ill fitting line was produced, tried to weasel out in other ways including the above actual libelous remarks about me. Among the enumerated lies was that they "knew it was going to be a problem" because I placed the order. The truth is that I was doing the resto work, whereas another person was buying the parts, so there was no possible connection to me during the ordering phase.
Ditto on the pump to carb line for my 72 CS 455. This seemed to be real common and they fought everyone that brought it to their attention. Perhaps in the last few years they have improved their customer service, and lines...
Old November 4th, 2013 | 07:57 AM

I had the same problem with Fuel pump to carb line.

Quick Reply: CAUTION buying from Inline Tube