General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Carlisle Spring 2021

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2021, 08:29 PM

Carlisle Spring 2021

Looking for recommendations for a place to stay near the Carlisle Fairgrounds. Swap meet - maybe 4/21, 4/22. Back in the day it was up at 3:00 and out the door. My knees are shot. Now I’m just looking for a comfy bed, clean sheets and a shower. Any recommendations for a hotel that’s convenient ? Might do 2 nights.

I’m looking for SSII center caps NOS/Mint, ‘70 charcoal emissions canister and setup, bunch of other stuff. Yes, I lost some good opportunities on this site.

Actually looking forward to it. Walking around, haggling and seeing some familiar faces can’t be a bad thing after all this crap.

Thank you in advance.
Old March 21st, 2021, 05:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

We'll be in NA12-NA15, right opposite the cinderblock bathrooms inside Gate 3. Stop by.
Old March 21st, 2021, 06:02 AM

With the dwindling attendance at Carlisle, I would think you should be able to get a room pretty close. I used to do searches at Travelocity. or Yahoo travel (Not around any more, I think), to find a room. We were happy to stay even 30 miles away, back in the heyday. Can't be near that busy now. Searches on travel sites will tell you if rooms are unavailable on certain dates.
Old March 21st, 2021, 06:36 AM

How do you think the attendance will be this year?
People itching to get out?
My friend said he walked the entire event last year in 8 hours...I remember when you needed 3 days at 8 hours to see it all.
-peter
Old March 21st, 2021, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think there's a lot of pent-up desire to get out. Last fall only saw about 60% of normal vendors because a lot of the big (and not so big) vendors just scrapped all show attendance for the year. The vendor list for spring does show attendance for a number of major vendors who blew off last fall (though obviously being listed doesn't guarantee they will actually attend). We spend 3 1/2 days there last fall vs. our normal 4 1/2. There was a fair amount of traffic, but few buyers, though that's been a trend for years now. No one is actually building anything anymore. Most of the purchases we saw being carried were things like waxes, polish, and automobilia, not actually car parts. I fear this is just the way things are going in the hobby. We'll be the last generation that's really into this. No one today has a basement full of power tools anymore. No one knows how to work with their hands. Younger people who actually build stuff (as opposed to playing with a 3D printer at some "makerspace" and thinking that represents actually building something) are sadly few and far between.
Old March 21st, 2021, 10:31 AM
Oldsdruid

I think you'll still see jacked-up hotel rates in Carlisle itself. They're not gonna give up that cash cow easy. We could usually cut the hotel bill in half by staying in Gettysburg or Chambersburg (roughly 30 miles away) and didn't have to fight the restaurant crowds in Carlisle either.

Plus the drive on the PA backroads was really nice. Low traffic, nice scenery, farm stands...
Old March 21st, 2021, 10:33 AM

I agree with Joe. I think lots of people are looking for something to do after being cooped up due to Covid AND a long Winter. Should be a good show - especially if the weather is nice. Looking forward to it.

I’ll stop by and say hello Joe - would have been funny if you were in NA9.

Mike
Old March 22nd, 2021, 06:33 AM

We went out to the fall swap meet last year and as most have stated, there were less vendors than the previous shows but it was to be expected with everything going on. We stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn Carlisle, it's a decent chain hotel and only about a $100 bucks or so a night. Like the OP I just wanted a bed and to rest my feet. Crowds at restaurants weren't too bad either last fall, I'd imagine an uptick in attendance would likely change that. Now that Joe mentioned it, there were a lot of the waxes, polishes, and other car related, but not actual car parts vendors there. I'll be heading up there this spring as I want to get out like everyone else and look for some car parts.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 07:44 AM

For ONLY car parts

For ONLY car parts -- 100 % Car parts -- Brakes, Front End, Water Pumps, Fuel Pumps, Ignition, Electrical, Motor and Transmission Mounts, Switches, Relays, Voltage Regulators, Quality Tune Up Parts and more.....
All U.S.A. made NEW and N.O.S., a good bit of DELCO and A C ----
Swing by me @ I I 118 - 119... Middle of the (Aye) Infield, Row (Aye) I ---
Aye Aye 118 - 119....

Be healthy, see you at Spring Carlisle....... Craig.....
(Call me beforehand, 516 - 485 - 1935... If there is something you might specifically need, that I don't usually have with me --- I will bring it, solely for you !!!!)
Old March 22nd, 2021, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by chopolds
With the dwindling attendance at Carlisle, I would think you should be able to get a room pretty close......Can't be near that busy now. Searches on travel sites will tell you if rooms are unavailable on certain dates.
I was just listening to a local radio host talk about his trip to the Gettysburg area this weekend to announce at a college sporting event and he said it was so packed you couldn't get into a restaurant to eat. He said he's never seen it so busy there.

I think Carlisle is going to be packed.

Last edited by allyolds68; March 22nd, 2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I think Carlisle is going to be packed.
There's definitely a lot of pent-up demand. Charlotte was cancelled again, so even more people looking for a swap meet.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bigmikey65
Looking for recommendations for a place to stay near the Carlisle Fairgrounds. Swap meet - maybe 4/21, 4/22. Back in the day it was up at 3:00 and out the door. My knees are shot. Now I’m just looking for a comfy bed, clean sheets and a shower. Any recommendations for a hotel that’s convenient ? Might do 2 nights.

I’m looking for SSII center caps NOS/Mint, ‘70 charcoal emissions canister and setup, bunch of other stuff. Yes, I lost some good opportunities on this site.

Actually looking forward to it. Walking around, haggling and seeing some familiar faces can’t be a bad thing after all this crap.

Thank you in advance.
Just looked at the Comfort INN site and they had 3 rooms left at $86.00 for a weeknight rate. New hotel a few years back, plus it's close.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 05:26 PM

Thanks Darryl - appreciate everyone’s advice and help.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 02:27 PM

Booked a room within reasonable distance. It’s been quite a few years since I have been to Carlisle. I know that cash is king but do you find or have you found that some vendors will take a check or credit card ? Looking forward to it !
Old April 3rd, 2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bigmikey65
Booked a room within reasonable distance. It’s been quite a few years since I have been to Carlisle. I know that cash is king but do you find or have you found that some vendors will take a check or credit card ? Looking forward to it !
Not sure anyone will take a check, but most of the "company" new parts venders like Fusick will take a card (you may be charged the 6% PA sales tax when using a card). The used parts guys will generally only take cash.
Old April 9th, 2021, 05:12 AM

Can you enter without a mask?
Old April 9th, 2021, 05:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by StarRacer
Can you enter without a mask?
https://www.carlisleevents.com/covid19
Old April 9th, 2021, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, count me out. Young adults not wanting to continue the hobby is one thing. But the world going to hell with its absurd "requirements" is the bigger problem. I'll stay home and be outside tinkering with my Starfire breathing in God's beautiful air freely.
Old April 9th, 2021, 06:51 AM

No rawdogging oxygen there, it seems.
Old April 9th, 2021, 08:24 AM

If Maple Grove is any kind of indicator, it will be packed. I went last weekend; there might have been 10-12 masks out of the crowd. It wasn't nearly as big as Carlisle, though.
Old April 9th, 2021, 09:00 AM

Looks like the organizers at Carlisle have a pretty good plan in place. Hopefully everyone cooperates and enjoys themselves so that future events there can go on as planned.
Old April 9th, 2021, 09:35 AM
Olds Fanatic

We're heading down on the 22nd, looking forward to it.
Old April 12th, 2021, 08:57 AM

Decided to head up to Carlisle...
I'll be looking for some '65 parts new and old.
Anyone have a list of the Olds vendors who will be coming?
(If anyone wants to PM me with pieces they may be bringing, I'd love to meet you there.)
-peter

New
-Sill plates
-headliner(blue) -might buy 2 if it's a deal
-Package tray(blue preferably)

Plus any interesting club coupe specific parts.
Still looking for a club coupe rear seat OR upholstery I can use for a pattern.
Old April 12th, 2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rallye469
Decided to head up to Carlisle...
I'll be looking for some '65 parts new and old.
Anyone have a list of the Olds vendors who will be coming?
Carlisle has their event guide with vendors listed already up on their website. However you won't find many listed under Oldsmobile and many Olds vendors will be just listed under their name, example Joe Padavano.
But maybe this will help.
https://www.carlisleevents.com/docs/...rsn=6516b053_2
Old April 12th, 2021, 04:41 PM

Are the guys that sell Oldsmobile parts in the same vicinity or are they more or less spread out all over the fairgrounds ? I would guess that there is some camaraderie/friendship amongst some vendors and they set up near each other ?
Old April 12th, 2021, 05:56 PM

A lot of us vendors are very very friendly with other vendors, however, we just can't set up wherever we please -- it unfortunately and realistically doesn't work that way....
We have designated spots , and that is the reality of the situation....

When you enter the Carlisle grounds, grab the FREE book they provide for you... Look in the vendor Index under "Oldsmobile"... Make it a point of mapping out to see the 5 or 6 of us that pay the additional cost to "advertise" under "Oldsmobile"... You will definitely want to see all of us... Other people could potentially have parts that you may want, but they didn't pay the additional, to be listed under "Oldsmobile"....

Map out where we all are, and formulate a game plan -- so you are walking in an orderly fashion -- because Carlisle is 84 acres big -- and you will not want to keep doubling back and forth --- you will be SHOT halfway through the day....

Wear comfortable walking shoes / sneakers, bring a shopping cart or not noisy wagon, and a mini cooler with your own beverages...Have Fun, stay focused, and look at both sides of each aisle as you proceed, such that you don't miss 50 % of the show, or have to walk each aisle twice... Most importantly, don't just wander around with your head firmly planted between your own tushy cheeks, as you will notice that a lot of oblivious people are doing !?!?!?

Last edited by mpolds; April 12th, 2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old April 13th, 2021, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
A lot of us vendors are very very friendly with other vendors, however, we just can't set up wherever we please -- it unfortunately and realistically doesn't work that way....
We have designated spots , and that is the reality of the situation....

When you enter the Carlisle grounds, grab the FREE book they provide for you... Look in the vendor Index under "Oldsmobile"... Make it a point of mapping out to see the 5 or 6 of us that pay the additional cost to "advertise" under "Oldsmobile"... You will definitely want to see all of us... Other people could potentially have parts that you may want, but they didn't pay the additional, to be listed under "Oldsmobile"....

Map out where we all are, and formulate a game plan -- so you are walking in an orderly fashion -- because Carlisle is 84 acres big -- and you will not want to keep doubling back and forth --- you will be SHOT halfway through the day....

Wear comfortable walking shoes / sneakers, bring a shopping cart or not noisy wagon, and a mini cooler with your own beverages...Have Fun, stay focused, and look at both sides of each aisle as you proceed, such that you don't miss 50 % of the show, or have to walk each aisle twice... Most importantly, don't just wander around with your head firmly planted between your own tushy cheeks, as you will notice that a lot of oblivious people are doing !?!?!?
I do that because I get sick of seeing the same overpriced junk.. Don't even miss it and won't be going. I do need to find a suitable replacement for the sausage, pepper, and onion sub, though. It can be done in 4 hours if you ignore the non-car part vendors.
Old April 13th, 2021, 06:31 AM

Carlisle has their event guide with vendors listed already up on their website. However you won't find many listed under Oldsmobile and many Olds vendors will be just listed under their name, example Joe Padavano.
But maybe this will help.
Thanks tva442!

I've NEVER been able to walk that place in a day.
-peter

Old April 13th, 2021, 07:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rallye469
Thanks tva442!

I've NEVER been able to walk that place in a day.
-peter
Back in our younger days (early to mid 2000s), we would walk in the gate at 7:00 am and walk out at 7:00 pm, having covered every single row. This was when the spots were 100% full. We had a pre-determined optimized route, and depending on success, made at least one and usually two trips out to put stuff in the truck. Yeah, many vendors started closing up around 3-4 in the afternoon, so things got slow towards the end of the day. Unfortunately, we collectively got slower with more aches and pains, and once we started talking about taking two days, it became more cost effective to just get vending spaces inside. We typically don't sell much, but it's nice to be close and to have a place to come and sit in the shade periodically.
Old April 13th, 2021, 07:20 AM

With 84 acres, and checking out both sides of each aisle, doing the show CORRECTLY, even buzzing past all the spreads that you Don't need or care about,
There is NO WAY to do it in one day... Peter , you are absolutely correct....

To do it any faster than that, you missed 75 % of the show --- you wasted your time --- and you sure didn't get your money's worth......
Old April 13th, 2021, 07:31 AM

Rallye469 - you're welcome! I discovered a few years ago that the booklet was published in advance, so why not plan in advance!

I started going in 1999, though have not gone in a few years. Getting up super early to get there at 7am to beat the traffic is just not as much fun anymore, especially if I am not looking for something in particular. I was hoping to go this year, but work looks like will get in the way. But as Fleming 442 says, I do miss those Big Smokie sandwiches!
Old April 13th, 2021, 08:04 AM

Thanks Mobile & Joe for the advice. I would think that a bad day at Carlisle is better than a good day at work.

Fingers crossed for some great weather !
Old April 13th, 2021, 09:56 AM

I think I started going around '89 maybe? We've always made a few days out of it and made it a mini-vaction.
A few good friends and lotsa booze back at the hotel.
I went just about every year until 2013 when I moved to Florida(although I have made it back a few times recently).
Can't wait to see it again!
-peter
Old April 20th, 2021, 05:55 PM

Weather is looking pretty good.
Old April 20th, 2021, 07:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately not off to a great start.

Old April 20th, 2021, 07:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately not off to a great start.
Joe - Sorry to hear. What's the issue?
Old April 20th, 2021, 08:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Joe, hope whatever is the issue it is easily fixable. Hope to see you at the show.
Old April 20th, 2021, 08:43 PM

Hopefully just a small hiccup Joe and you can get on your way.
Old April 21st, 2021, 12:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

My friend's camper sputtered to a stop about 25 miles from home. We spend the afternoon trying to troubleshoot while dodging traffic on the side of the road. Spent a lot of time in my car driving around to parts stores. That E350 is a pain to work on, under the best of conditions. When it became obvious we weren't going to get it running before dark, he called a tow. Won't know the status until morning. I'll drive up Wed AM, but the big canopies and stuff are in the camper. I'll have my 62 wagon there.
Old April 21st, 2021, 03:51 AM

Planning to go tomorrow, weather will be brisk they say but dry, bundle up and keep moving is our plan. A few parts will be needed from Fusick and will see what other stuff can be found. There were a few times I needed gloves at Spring Carlisle, and once the following day snow whitend the ground...

Quick Reply: Carlisle Spring 2021