General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car not tracking straight???

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Car not tracking straight???

My buddy is looking to purchase a 68 Cutlass and took it for a test drive. His dad noticed that when the car was going down the street that it did not seem to be tracking straight. According to him, it looked like the driver's side front was "sticking out" a bit when it was going away from where he was standing. The seller was assuring my friend that it has not been in an accident. He did not see any signs of frame damage. I am not sure, have not had a car myself with that issue. Does anyone have an idea as to what can cause this? Possibly the front end needs to be aligned?
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
My buddy is looking to purchase a 68 Cutlass and took it for a test drive. His dad noticed that when the car was going down the street that it did not seem to be tracking straight. According to him, it looked like the driver's side front was "sticking out" a bit when it was going away from where he was standing. The seller was assuring my friend that it has not been in an accident. He did not see any signs of frame damage. I am not sure, have not had a car myself with that issue. Does anyone have an idea as to what can cause this? Possibly the front end needs to be aligned?
The prime cause of this off-tracking is an accident. Other possible causes are bend front or rear control arms (hit a pothole, perhaps), bad suspension bushings, or an alignment. The alignment is the least likely.
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM
GM Enthusiast

The prime cause of this off-tracking is an accident. Other possible causes are bend front or rear control arms (hit a pothole, perhaps), bad suspension bushings, or an alignment. The alignment is the least likely.

I know he said that the rear control arms were replaced with new ones so that leaves the front end as suspect or as you said an accident. Is this something a good alignment shop can figure out for him?
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Registered Luser

Yes, it is possible the car has been in a crash. But how bad is the question. If it has, the chances are unlikely an alignment shop can "fix" the issue. One "quick-check" is to look and compare the gaps between the body panels, especially doors to fenders. If from the back the nose is shifted to the left, look for a large gap on the rt and a tight gap on the lft. Also look for abnormal gaps between hood and fenders. Plus, always look for tire wear!
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
GM Enthusiast

He did not say anything about uneven gaps but he is going back to look at the car tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW, Eric where are you on Long Island? Thanks

Darrell
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Registered Luser

Darrel, I'm in Patchogue. How 'bout you?
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Did the seller buy the car new? If not, does he know all the previous owners? If not, there is no way he knows if the car has been in an accident or not. Remember the car is 40 years old.
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
GM Enthusiast

Darrel, I'm in Patchogue. How 'bout you?
Ha! I live in Holbrook, 5 minutes away.

Did the seller buy the car new? If not, does he know all the previous owners? If not, there is no way he knows if the car has been in an accident or not. Remember the car is 40 years old.
He does know the original owner. He said that other than a parking lot ding on the passenger fender and a curb dent on the drivers side rocker panel, there has been no other damage. He did say the front end was taken apart to restore it. He decided to sell the car so he reassembled it. Maybe something was not put back together the right way?
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Registered Luser

that could be your answer right there! the factory put like 500 shims in these cars to get them to line up!
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM

....Sounds like the REAR is a little out of wack...I would check that first...
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
I know he said that the rear control arms were replaced with new ones...
This might be the cause. Just because they are new does not eliminate them from possibly causing the tracking issue. You might ask "Why were they replaced?".
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:24 PM

I bought a car once that the rear arms had been replaced. . . and they didn't tighten the bolts. They usually require a LOT of torque, and will definitely 'wallow' out the bushing holes and make it dog-track if they are not tight enough.
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

The standard control arms were replaced with boxed ones and it looked as if everything was tightened correctly.
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:36 AM

Does it try to change directions when you let off the gas from hard acceleration? The 9C1 I bought had been "checked" but when you let off about 80, you had to be ready or you would go to the ditch! That's the reason the Sheriff traded it in so early in its life, and the reason I got it for $1250.
Anyway, there might not be anything wrong with the car, it might be just his Dad's perspective. . .
DW
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

He said it did not change direction when he let off the gas. Also, before he buys it, he is going to take it the alignment shop to have it checked out. Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep you posted.

Darrell
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM

A rear wheel drive car will eventually "dog track" down the road because of a thrust angle alingment. When the alignment shop does an alignment on a rear wheel drive car they line up the front wheels with the rear wheels and don't necessarily ensure that the rear wheels are parallel to the frame. This is common on old trucks. If you take it to a shop and the alignment is good and there hasn't been any frame damage then it would probably be a good buy if the price is right.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:57 AM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I will pass it on and let you guys know what he finds out.