General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car i sold in May, now for sale on ebay

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2021, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
I was the first caller on a 442. The seller was asking $78,000.00. I asked for a few photographs which I didn't receive the evening in which we spoke (the same evening the listing was published). I called the following morning and the car was sold for $78,000.00.
A few months later the same car reappeared this time with a selling price of $115,000.00. No changes or repairs were made.
Not a bad profit, $37.000.00, if the car sells.
I know you and I have not agreed always. I am sorry but over 100k for a car that you can't drive because heaven forbid.. Rear barrels? Actually feeling the torque and horsepower? Oh no can't do that. That is worthless money to me. I will never even try or want to understand people that buy a high horsepower car so it can sit and look pretty. All about profit? Kiss me right here. That is one of those things that drives many of us crazy. Wait have a rare part / car whatever and hook somebody up instead of taking every freaking nickle? Nope can't do that. Greed is a sin. Greed is real. I would rather hook someone up than make stupid money. Take your nickles fools.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 30th, 2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old July 30th, 2021, 10:20 PM
Banned

What car was worth a 78k starting bid? Just curious.
Old July 30th, 2021, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I know you and I have not agreed always. I am sorry but over 100k for a car that you can't drive because heaven forbid.. Rear barrels? Actually feeling the torque and horsepower? Oh no can't do that. That is worthless money to me. I will never even try or want to understand people that buy a high horsepower car so it can sit and look pretty. All about profit? Kiss me right here. That is one of those things that drives many of us crazy. Wait have a rare part / car whatever and hook somebody up instead of taking every freaking nickle? Nope can't do that. Greed is a sin. Greed is real. I would rather hook someone up than make stupid money. Take your nickles fools.

I am in my early 40's and many of my car buddies are on their mid 30's. we gift our labor and knowedge to one another without hesitation, and without any expectation of payment outside a clouple beers and good conversation. we teach and learn from one anothet as best we can, and enjoy all the aspects of this rediculously expensive hobby with a light hearted pragmatism that many people wouldn't understand. None of us can afford a numbers matching blue chip muscle car, but many of our cars would outrun them. We may be rag-tag, but we have given away parts with good value and gained friends in the process. I love that someone is keeping originality alive, and believe those cars should absolutely demand a high value. We are reaching a market, though, that a rusty shitheap 72 Supreme in need of full restoration is demanding 8k. I lament our hobby, as we are a dying breed and if we try to convince ourselves otherwise who are we fooling?
Old July 31st, 2021, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ach1992880
I am in my early 40's and many of my car buddies are on their mid 30's. we gift our labor and knowedge to one another without hesitation, and without any expectation of payment outside a clouple beers and good conversation. we teach and learn from one anothet as best we can, and enjoy all the aspects of this rediculously expensive hobby with a light hearted pragmatism that many people wouldn't understand. None of us can afford a numbers matching blue chip muscle car, but many of our cars would outrun them. We may be rag-tag, but we have given away parts with good value and gained friends in the process. I love that someone is keeping originality alive, and believe those cars should absolutely demand a high value. We are reaching a market, though, that a rusty shitheap 72 Supreme in need of full restoration is demanding 8k. I lament our hobby, as we are a dying breed and if we try to convince ourselves otherwise who are we fooling?
You've just described most of our teen and adult lives. Many of us did not know what new parts were until we were in our 20's, we lived in wrecking yards. Unfortunately those yards are now devoid of parts cars mostly. IMHO asking prices are just that and they can be stupid high, but in most cases as the part sits the price will eventually come down to the point where someone is willing to stroke a check for it.
Old July 31st, 2021, 05:54 AM

I used to love walking through Junkyards back in the 90's looking for parts in the best possible condition. Every single part was not readily available back then. You worked with whatever you could find. China has changed that for better or worse. It was always interesting to see the items left in cars when they were junked. There isn't much of interest to me in them now.
Steve