General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'69 H/O on ebay

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM

'69 H/O on ebay

When I went to bed last night this was bid up to $101,100.00 with an hour left. Now when I checked it this morning it says the winning bid was $6121.99. Confused. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200608876437&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:26 AM
"me somebody" site member

Check the bid history on the car:

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...m=200608876437

Seller cancelled a number of bids and declared the car sold. There was at least one bid retraction and at least one bidder (second highest) with private feedback. He may have tired of the bidding shenanigans, may have truly sold the car outside Ebay, who knows.
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:39 AM

Ah, I see. I think you're right. The explanation next to the highest bid says "lack of funds" for the reason. I think that's the 2nd time this car has 'sold' only to have the deal fall through. Either they're his bids or he's fed up with selling on ebay.

Last edited by mmurphy77; May 26th, 2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:45 AM
"me somebody" site member

Problem is, too many people treat Ebay as a video game. If I was REALLY serious about selling either of my cars, I might put one on EBay with a ridiculous reserve JUST to gain some widespread notice (and in the hope that it might generate a post-auction sale). But I'd never seriously expect to make a sale that way. I suppose it happens, though....
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:32 AM

As an old timey eBay seller, it looks to me like the seller actually sold the car to the highest bidder showing..... but not for that price. They would have made a deal outside eBay, and then he canceled the bids of everyone above him, because to end the auction you can't have someone else the high bidder, or they would think they got the car.

In doing this (fairly unethical, imho, and can get you kicked off eBay...but hey...he sold the car) he would have been able to sell the car for $100,000+ and only pay the fees for the $6,000 showing at the end of the auction. That is a huge savings. Of course, you have to take a leap of faith that the buyer will follow through, or you are stuck with a good chunk of fees and no sale.

Aliens, that is why you can't put up a car for sale with a high reserve to generate post auction sales....they charge you for all of it, including the size of your reserve! You would be better off putting a glossy ad in a magazine or newspaper!

Kathleen
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM

With all the issues with e-bay. I imagine people will start to go back to the old fashioned way of selling their car. For Sale signs in the window. Old Car Trader and classifieds in the local paper and even Craigs List. I like watching the cars on e-bay, but would have a hard time buying one..
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM

If I was going to spend big money on a car like that I'd at least want the correct exhaust manifolds, not hooker headers..
Old May 26th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by MI455
If I was going to spend big money on a car like that I'd at least want the correct exhaust manifolds, not hooker headers..
A lot wrong under the hood, not to mention it's pretty bare-boned (no radio, no A/C, no power options, etc.).