General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car covers and paint

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Car covers and paint

My son recently purchased a car cover for his 66 F85 from JC Whitney. It looks pretty nice, and is designed for outdoor use. His Olds has the original paint. One day he drove home in the rain and put the cover on. The next day (maybe it was a few days, not sure) when he took the cover off, the paint on the hood was messed up. Not sure how to describe it - kind of looked milky and as if the water sitting on it for a few days had soaked in and diluted the paint or something? It still feels smooth, but is discolored.

I am not sure if I am describing it well enough, but what did he do wrong? Is it a bad idea to put the cover on when the car is wet? Thank goodness the car did not have fresh paint yet- that is in the works soon. We need to know before Grandpa paints the car, so we don't goof that up.

Is this a problem with the product, or the use of the product? Or does it have to do with the old paint? Yes, I know I could ask JCWhitney some of this, and I may, but I need to hear real world experience - I am afraid they will just say it is not their product's fault (maybe it's not, but I need to hear that from unbiased sources if that is the case.)

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM

That is a bummer. Perhaps the moisture between the car cover and the car caused the wax to get cloudy. Maybe if your son washed the car thoroughly and uses a cleaning wax on the paint it will take out the discoloration. Just a guess though... I have never experienced anything like that before.
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Blownfuel

Would have to say it was improper product usage, but not sure why it happens. I've always been told not to putthe cover on while the cars wet for this reason (blushing
). You might try asking you question at California Car Covers website (http://www.calcarcover.com/), they have a live chat tech assist. Also, now that the damage is already done, if a good washing and coat of wax won't take it off, I recommend going to a "good" professional detailer and asking them if they can do anything with it.