General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Can I remove my cat converter?

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
New 2 Olds

Can I remove my cat converter?

I recently flooded out my engine and in the process of trying to clear it clogged the cat overheating it from the raw fuel (saw it glowing). Wasn't all that old either, wasn't the original. I'd like to just replace it with a straight pipe but was wondering if this will throw off the rest of the system or cause issues with lack of backpressure. I had a similar problem on another GM where it wouldn't clear itself from a flooding condition, even with the pedal to the floor. In cold weather this has left me stranded a few times.
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:01 PM

cat removal

taking the cat off shouldnt affect the way the car runs if it still has a computerized Q-jet,you might want to find out why its flooding.is the choke pull-off adjusted or working properly? is the choke thermostat heating up and opening?purge valves were famous on those cars for malfunctioning and causing severe flooding.jc
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
71 cutlass convertible

The only other problem I see, is one of tail pipe emissions for your state. If you still have state inspections you will fail.

Larry
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM

fail

do they check emissions on 29 year old cars in md?jc
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
do they check emissions on 29 year old cars in md?jc
The OP is in New York, so I'm not sure how MD emissions laws matter. In any case, it may be a problem EVEN if your car is outside the state testing age. As an example, here in northern VA, my 84 CC is exempt from emissions testing. HOWEVER, if you read the VA state SAFETY inspection requirements, one requirement is a visual inspection to see if the cat is in place on cars so equipped. Now, has anyone ever been failed for a safety inspection because of this? Unlikely, but why poke the bear? Not that I would ever do this (), but one COULD hollow out the cat then weld a straight section of pipe into the shell and install the assembly back on the car.

Just sayin...
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not that I would ever do this (), but one COULD hollow out the cat then weld a straight section of pipe into the shell and install the assembly back on the car.

Just sayin...
I've done this many, many times.
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:54 PM

wont hurt car engine performance ,removed mind and runs good ,but sounds like you have other problems looks like good advice with choke loading up this is the place for good help
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... one COULD hollow out the cat then weld a straight section of pipe into the shell and install the assembly back on the car.
It is very definitely something that is physically possible, but remember that it is also a violation of Federal law to do this, with a fine of something like $11,000, if I recall, so if I were ever to do such a thing, I would not tell potentially thousands of people I never met that I had done it.

Just sayin'...

- Eric
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Assuming your taking about your 98, no it will not effect drivablly of the car, or trip a SES light, but it would fail both a tail pipe test and a visual test.

In PA, cars 1975-1983 only get a visual emissions test. If it's there, it passes, if it's not it fails. If it's there, but doesn't work, it still passes.

What I would do, is go the "non-cat" set-up. There is a company on eBay, don't know if they are still doing it, but they sell these non-cats for around $45. It's a new cat body on a straight pipe.

No shop is going to remove a cat and hollow it out for you. No shop is going to put a straight pipe thru a cat for you, and even if you pick up a used cat online, they go for sometimes $100 because of the platuum recovery people out there.

The effect will be, the car will have a different odor to it, and might smoke a bit more, just a bit. But you cross a cop that is having a bad or boring day, well you get the picture.

A shop will install a "non-cat" if you bring it to them. But you'll have to pay cash and most likey, not get a reciept
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It is very definitely something that is physically possible, but remember that it is also a violation of Federal law to do this, with a fine of something like $11,000, if I recall, so if I were ever to do such a thing, I would not tell potentially thousands of people I never met that I had done it.

Just sayin'...

- Eric
Which is why I didn't:

Not that I would ever do this ...
I would, however, be very interested in finding at least one case where the feds went after a private party (as opposed to a corporation) for one of these violations.
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Which is why I didn't:
... But not everyone is so discrete.

I would, however, be very interested in finding at least one case where the feds went after a private party (as opposed to a corporation) for one of these violations.
I've never heard of it either, but I generally try to avoid violating laws without knowing what they are and deciding whether it's worth the risk.

A lot of our members may not be aware that altering their emission control systems is a Federal crime.

- Eric
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:49 AM

I did a little searching and came up with this interesting take on it:

You most likely will not find any individual car owner being fined under the federal regulations. Read the laws again carefully... and remember, don't read stuff into the laws that isn't written there.

The federal laws do not prohibit owning or driving a car with tampered emissions equipment. Only the act of tampering is illegal -- or causing the act of tampering. If a car owner is found with tampered emissions equipment, there is no provision for imposing any penalty on the car owner, UNLESS they can prove (or the car owner admits) that the owner played an active part in tampering with the emissions equipment. If the owner says "I don't know" or "I bought it that way", then there is usually little that can be done.

These regulations are aimed at shops which perform illegal emissions work, not at individual car enthusiasts. A careful reading of the regulations shows that there seems to be an unwritten presumption that the shop which performed the modifications is guilty and that the owner is an innocent victim.

PS: Although federal law does not prohibit driving a car with tampered emissions equipment, state or local law may prohibit
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I actually remember back in the early 80's when parts stores sold a "catalytic converter test tube". It was a bolt in and sold under the guise of testing to see if your catalytic converter was bad. I actually put one on my 78 Delta. Then the crackdown came and they would not even mention they had ever had them. That was at a time when we still had leaded regular gas. They also sold a little plastic adapter to put on the leaded nozzle so you could put leaded gas in the cars intended for unleaded with the smaller inlet in the gas tank. They were sold for emergency use if unleaded was not available.

Last edited by redoldsman; November 14th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, it was funny how the "test pipes" just vanished.
I went looking for one one day, right after that (to do some testing), and the guys got all weird at every auto parts store I stopped at.
I still don't know exactly what happened.

- Eric
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I know around here, no one will sell you a straight piece of tail pipe if you tell them what you are going to do with it (replace catalytic converter with pipe) So I tell them it's for a project and that's it. I think they (parts store employees) could get into trouble for selling something to you that knowingly you are breaking the law.
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM

converter

Guys:
I worked in a parts store back then, before computers, everybody had a catalog rack. After the "Test Pipe" thing, next came universal converters. You would buy the specific end kits for your car and install a " Straight Converter" between them. We sold ALOT of end kits and straight pipe. LOL
RonFX
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:31 PM

cat removal

in 30 years in business i've never heard of a shop or homeowner getting busted (fined) for removing a cat,but i wouldn't want to be the first.its illegal for a shop to change a cat if the car is 8 years old and less than 80k miles because its still under manufact. warranty, even if the customer wants to pay for it.i bet in california you probably get the chair.jc
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM

Which is why you buy this, and call it a day

The Non-Catalytic Convertor
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:32 AM
New 2 Olds

LOL at the non catalytic, that's pretty clever. I figured this would lead into the legal side of things understandably. It'd likely be temporary anyway until I don't need to drive it in the cold.