General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

California Emissions

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2020, 04:27 PM

California Emissions

We’re all 1970 442’s and W cars sold new at dealerships in California required to have California emissions installed in the new vehicles that year ? What did the California emissions setup consist of ?
Old November 10th, 2020, 02:50 AM

This may help, https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...issions-36833/

As well as this, https://www.streetmusclemag.com/feat...ias-smog-laws/
Old November 10th, 2020, 05:37 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Bigmikey65
We’re all 1970 442’s and W cars sold new at dealerships in California required to have California emissions installed in the new vehicles that year?
The correct statement would be:

All model year 1970 442s and W cars sold new at dealerships in California AND MANUFACTURED ON OR AFTER JAN 01 1970 were required to have California emission equipment installed.
Old November 10th, 2020, 05:57 AM

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/feat...ias-smog-laws/

While I understand the reasoning for all the steps need to pass smog, I wish there was a way to only have to deal with what comes out of the tailpipe. I seriously doubt an aftermarket air filter would have any effect on tailpipe emissions, assuming the stock air box was in place.

If I could make a Pro Stock engine pass the tailpipe sniffer, does it really matter what’s been changed under hood? Isn’t the emissions what matters???
Old November 10th, 2020, 07:06 AM

II think all cars in California made before 75 (could be later now) are exempt for emissions and you don't need to be tested.. Is that what you are asking?..... Tedd
Old November 10th, 2020, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
https://www.streetmusclemag.com/feat...ias-smog-laws/

While I understand the reasoning for all the steps need to pass smog, I wish there was a way to only have to deal with what comes out of the tailpipe. I seriously doubt an aftermarket air filter would have any effect on tailpipe emissions, assuming the stock air box was in place.

If I could make a Pro Stock engine pass the tailpipe sniffer, does it really matter what’s been changed under hood? Isn’t the emissions what matters???
This reminded me of a Hot Rod article back in the 90s where they demonstrated that exact thing. They bought a 1967 Camaro at a crusher event and built a 350 engine for it that passed up to 1977 emissions testing without using catalytic converters, then passed up to mid-80s emissions testing with converters.

And in a Hot Rod interview with the head of California C.A.R.B. he never once said anything about emissions, but kept going on and on about how they were pushing technology.
Old November 10th, 2020, 08:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The flaw in that logic is that the test to demonstrate compliance with EPA requirements is MUCH more involved and expensive than a simply tailpipe sniff at one or two RPM points. Yeah, if you can demonstrate compliance to the ENTIRE test for the duration required to gain certification, then sure, modify away. That test is tens of thousands of dollars and takes weeks to perform. That's how grey market cars got legally imported.

The problem is that the tailpipe sniff test is a pragmatic solution to verifying that the emissions controls on a given car are still working. Obviously it isn't practical to subject every car to the rigorous certification test every two years. The compromise is that you do a visual inspection to insure the certified equipment is hooked up and you perform a spot check at a couple of RPM points to gauge functionality. These data points let you infer that the system is working as designed. Is this a perfect test under all operating conditions? Of course not. The alternative is not palatable.
Old November 10th, 2020, 09:03 AM

The gas tank in my car is apparently set up for California emissions so I am assuming that the car left the factory with the rest of the California emissions equipment. The rest of the smog equipment is missing - charcoal canister, lines etc. I am beginning my restoration so I am considering restoring the smog system - if I can find the parts. I am trying my very best to restore the car back to factory stock. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find the missing parts for restoration ? Would anyone happen to have any photos, schematics, dealer literature etc. regarding the California emissions setup for a ‘70 442 ? Thank you gentlemen - greatly appreciate the advice and help.
Old November 10th, 2020, 09:57 AM

I'm in Calif. and what I know is what ever came on the car either Calif. or 49 State car MUST have all smog parts on the car they may not work but must be installed. On my 65 Cutlass I'm collecting parts for I need brake,lights inspection done at a cert. shop.
Gerald
Old November 10th, 2020, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The flaw in that logic is that the test to demonstrate compliance with EPA requirements is MUCH more involved and expensive than a simply tailpipe sniff at one or two RPM points. Yeah, if you can demonstrate compliance to the ENTIRE test for the duration required to gain certification, then sure, modify away. That test is tens of thousands of dollars and takes weeks to perform. That's how grey market cars got legally imported.

The problem is that the tailpipe sniff test is a pragmatic solution to verifying that the emissions controls on a given car are still working. Obviously it isn't practical to subject every car to the rigorous certification test every two years. The compromise is that you do a visual inspection to insure the certified equipment is hooked up and you perform a spot check at a couple of RPM points to gauge functionality. These data points let you infer that the system is working as designed. Is this a perfect test under all operating conditions? Of course not. The alternative is not palatable.

I’m not up to date on emissions testing, so why info I have is out of date. Do they still do the IM 240 test? If memory serves, that was 4 minutes (4x60 seconds) on the rollers with a tailpipe sniffer? Obviously, a tailpipe sniffer would have zero influence on evaporative emissions, or cold start, things like that.

My point is failing a car due to a aftermarket air filter is crazy. Really, what comes out of the tailpipe is what should matter in the real world. And in the real world, a car enthusiast is more likely to stay on top of vehicle maintenance as opposed to your typical soccer mom. I can’t begin to count the cars that I see in a week with obvious misfires and dead cylinders. If you can hear the dead cylinder from 15 feet away, YOU KNOW the driver can tell. Too many people think auto maintenance is limited to opening the fuel door
Old November 10th, 2020, 05:55 PM
Gary

...I am assuming that the car left the factory with ... California emissions equipment.
That's an expensive assumption. It takes only 30 seconds to verify the Fisher Body build date. If it shows third week December or earlier, you car did not leave the factory with NA9 Evaporation Control Equipment.
Old November 10th, 2020, 09:15 PM

VC455 would you know if it’s possible then that the Evaporation Control Equipment could have been dealer installed ? What makes you say that if the car was built before the 3rd week of December that it did not leave the factory with NA9 Evaporation Control Equipment ? Thanks VC455.
Old November 10th, 2020, 09:33 PM

VC455 would you know if it’s possible then that the Evaporation Control Equipment could have been dealer installed ? What makes you say that if the car was built before the 3rd week of December that it did not leave the factory with NA9 Evaporation Control Equipment ? Thanks VC455.
He answered you above

"The correct statement would be:

All model year 1970 442s and W cars sold new at dealerships in California AND MANUFACTURED ON OR AFTER JAN 01 1970 were required to have California emission equipment installed."

Whats different about your gas tank that makes it an emissions tank?

The NA9 emissions equipment wasnt used until after Jan 1, 1970. Anything built before that couldnt get it, as it wasnt available yet.

Last edited by 70W-32; November 10th, 2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old November 11th, 2020, 06:39 AM
Gary

VC455 would you know if it’s possible then that the Evaporation Control Equipment could have been dealer installed?
The law laid the responsibility on the factory to do this and there were clear dates on which the factory had to comply with the law. The dealer only sold the cars that the factory provided--there was no reason for the dealer to install NA9 equipment. NA9 had a different tank, extra lines to the engine compartment, the carbon canister, and connecting hoses. That's a lot of expense for the dealer to to go through to obtain zero value.

What makes you say that if the car was built before the 3rd week of December that it did not leave the factory with NA9 Evaporation Control Equipment?
I referenced the Fisher Body build date, because that is so easy to find. This is not the car build date. The car build date is the date of final assembly, and the final assembly date is the one the law references. Unfortunately the final assembly date cannot be determined unless you have, or found, paperwork showing it.

Here's how it works if you are not familiar... Fisher built the body and sent it to the assembly plant where it was fitted with engine and interior. There were usually only a few days between body build date and assembly date.

The reason I quoted a Fisher date of 3rd week of December is that the assemblers had many holidays and other days off at the end of December and early January. There could easily be 10 days between the Fisher plant and the assembly plant at that time. 3rd week of December for a Fisher date is a conservative benchmark for you to use in determining if the car came with NA9 equipment.

The Fisher date is on the cowl ID plate. If you don't know how to decipher it, post a photo and we'll respond.

If the Fisher date shows the possibility of NA9 equipment installation, I'll let you know other ways to determine if NA9 was originally installed.
Old November 11th, 2020, 07:31 AM

Thank you VC455. My car was built in the 4th week of November, 1969. I know a lot about the car but not everything. The car has a California Emissions gas tank and the extra fuel line (ventilation?) running with the other fuel lines along the frame. The gas tank looks original to the car - unmolested. The lines look like they were never touched.

I read about the strike at GM during the Fall of 1969. I am sure that things at most GM assembly plants were out of whack during this time period.

I am posting to the board to see #1 if I can still get the parts. #2 Is it possible that a California Emissions emissions equipped 442 could have left the assembly line during the 4th week of production in November 1969 #3 Does anyone on the forum have a ‘70 442 with the California Emissions setup still in place ?

Thank you guys.

Mike
Old November 11th, 2020, 07:36 AM

My car was assembled in Lansing.
Old November 11th, 2020, 09:10 AM
Gary

My car was built in the 4th week of November, 1969. The car has a California Emissions gas tank and the extra fuel line (ventilation?) running with the other fuel lines along the frame. The gas tank looks original to the car - unmolested. The lines look like they were never touched.
Part of NA9 was an orange-and-black warning label on the filler door. There was a special gas cap, the early ones were stamped not vented and painted black. There was a 5/16" od vent line for fuel vapor from tank to front cross-member. The passenger side plastic fender liner has three extra holes in the flat portion nearest the radiator--these are for small screws holding the retainer for the carbon canister. The core support will have a yellow warning label, to the rear and at higher surface from the usual tune-up label. The early labels called for washing the canister filter in kerosene. The air cleaner snorkel has a hole in the bottom surface near the inlet.

I read about the strike at GM during the Fall of 1969. I am sure that things at most GM assembly plants were out of whack during this time...
There was a major strike in Fall 1970, but the only relevant strike in 1969 was in April and May.

I am posting to the board to see
#1 if I can still get the parts.
#2 Is it possible that a California Emissions emissions equipped 442 could have left the assembly line during the 4th week of production in November 1969
#3 Does anyone on the forum have a ‘70 442 with the California Emissions setup still in place?
#1 I see parts advertised occasionally on this forum. eBay would be another source.
#2 It is possible but unlikely. GM was usually careful to keep pre-production models out of the new car pipeline.
#3 I'm not sure about 442s, but BSiegPaint and I have NA9 cars. My car still wears its original NA9 parts.
Old November 11th, 2020, 09:12 AM

‘The NA9 emissions equipment wasn’t used until after Jan. 1, 1970. Anything built before that couldn’t get it, as it wasn’t available yet.” So 70W-32 you are saying that the factory assembly line did not start installing the NA9 emissions equipment until January 2, 1970 ? Since, as we know, all W cars were assembled at the Lansing Plant for the 1970 model year, how long would it take for a NA9 equipped W car to reach a showroom floor at a dealership in California ?
Old November 11th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Gary

...how long would it take for a NA9 equipped W car to reach a showroom floor at a dealership in California?
Mike,

You may be misinterpreting California's emission law. The law only affected cars with an assembly date on or after Jan 01.

Example: If a car with assembly date in November didn't arrive at a California dealer until January it would not be required to have NA9 equipment.

Gary
Old November 11th, 2020, 12:51 PM

Thank you Gary - and thank you for all of the great factual information. I believe that what I have is a ‘70 W30 that was assembled in the 4th week of November, 1969 with the NA9 equipment. The tank and lines look original - why would someone go through the trouble of taking out the factory equipment and replacing it with NA9 equipment. Then again, without any factual proof I can be wrong. Would have the NA9 equipment shown up on the original window sticker or on the build sheet ?

Thanks again Gary - just trying to figure out this little mystery.

Mike
Old November 11th, 2020, 01:03 PM
Gary

Thank you Gary - and thank you for all of the great factual information.
Would the NA9 equipment have shown up on the original window sticker or on the build sheet?
You are welcome, Mike. This site does a great job with sharing information. And I try to do my part as well.

NA9 will show on the window sticker. Build sheet would show NA9, but these are seldom seen on Lansing cars. I'm not sure NA9 would show up on the Broadcast Card.

Gary

Last edited by VC455; November 11th, 2020 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Clarified Build Sheet vs. Broadcast Card
Old November 13th, 2020, 09:16 AM

If your car was assembled with the NA9, you will have a vapor separator installed near the tank in the center of the car, kind of above the rear pumpkin - the extra nipples from the back of the gas tank will connect to this, as will the return line from the front of the car. Really all you need to do is hook these lines up and re-install the charcoal canister in front to make the system whole again. There's also a line that goes to the air cleaner snorkel. I was missing the vapor separator, and I've only seen two come up for sale in the past three years - so if you're missing it, start the search now. The charcoal canister and the bracket aren't that hard to find. The gas cap may be a little expensive, but they are out there. I'll take some pics of mine and post them here.

Vapor separator attached to the underside of the trunk floor

Charcoal canister - one line to the separator, one to the carb, one to the air cleaner

Last edited by BSiegPaint; November 13th, 2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old November 13th, 2020, 09:49 AM

Thank you BSiegPaint. Your information and photos definitely give me a better picture of the way the NA9 setup was installed.
Old November 13th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Gary

Just a brief note that there were two types of gas caps on 1970 NA9 cars.

Early tanks (January) used the same filler neck as the standard tanks--but the cap was changed to non-vented style. Later tanks had a different filler neck that requires longer reach tangs on the cap--so there is no possibility of installing the wrong cap. The one in Bob's picture is the later cap, which also carried on into later years.

The January cap is not reproduced; the later cap is.
Old November 14th, 2020, 08:05 AM

Would you guys have a picture of the January cap ? How is it visibly different ? I believe someone stated they are hard to find ? Is the January cap exclusive to Olds or were they also made for other GM cars ? Thanks - Mike.
Old November 14th, 2020, 10:54 AM
Gary

The January NA9 cap is a standard-reach cap, except with gasket, black paint, and different embossing.

The side view shows the reach to be the same as the non-NA9 cap. The later NA9 cap has much deeper reach into the filler neck, which eliminates interchange with the non-NA9 cap.

One would expect this cap to have been placed on other GM vehicles, but that additional placement is not verified.

Old November 24th, 2020, 02:12 PM

So this thread got me thinking and digging, wondering if I had the right cap on my car... It's a January build, so maybe it should have the earlier cap. Comparing what I found to the CSM pics, would this one be correct for my Rallye? I've just had it in a box of parts...and it fits better than the one in my previous pic.

Old November 27th, 2020, 02:45 PM

it looks like the ones that have NA9 did not show any pictures of there cars equipped NA9

the most important part of all 405130 tee if you can find one . if the two members on this page have the item on there car please post picture the more info out there the better for all of us . i would still like to pictures from the members on here thanks .
Old November 27th, 2020, 04:32 PM
Gary

Old November 27th, 2020, 04:47 PM
Gary

I should have added that the run dimension on the tee is 2.0"
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:39 PM

Thank you for posting that metal tee I believe those came on back side of the carb by fire wall of big cars ie delta 88 & 98 ? The tee for 4 speed cars got the rubber tee ie cutlass - 442 & W 30, 31
Old November 28th, 2020, 07:33 AM

Over the years I've come across a lot of California emissions cars since I live so close to California. I've seen the charcoal canisters with 2 and 3 nipples. In the pictures you guys shared it looks like you have one each of these canisters on your cars. Can you clarify which one would have been correct for the OP's application?
Old November 28th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Gary

The three-nipple NA9 canister is correct for 1970 cars. The two-nipple is correct for later model years.
Old November 28th, 2020, 07:46 AM

The 1970 CSM shows the three nipple canister, with the hose routing to the separator, air cleaner, and PCV hose on page 8-11.
Old November 28th, 2020, 08:28 AM

I agree the three nipple canister was 1970 only , the second part that is hard to find the plastic elbow attached to the air cleaner snorkel . back in the early 80s at the Santa fay springs ecology junk yard there was 1970 442 4 speed with that robber tee to the carb it crumbled in my hands from the heat of the motor that was the only time i came across one . now mind you i yous to hit all the junk yards in SoCal
Old November 28th, 2020, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by mobileW-30
I agree the three nipple canister was 1970 only , the second part that is hard to find the plastic elbow attached to the air cleaner snorkel . back in the early 80s at the Santa fay springs ecology junk yard there was 1970 442 4 speed with that robber tee to the carb it crumbled in my hands from the heat of the motor that was the only time i came across one . now mind you i yous to hit all the junk yards in SoCal
I've been trying to make one of those elbows out of plastic with a 3D printer, but it's on the time frame of the guy who owns it, and I'm only working from a picture. Until then, I made one with a brass elbow with NPT threads and a nylon nut to hold it in place on the snorkel. It's mostly hidden and keeps the hose in place.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; November 28th, 2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old November 28th, 2020, 11:14 AM

The air cleaner elbow was not specific to high performance CA cars. I got one off a 2 bbl. 455. They are hard to find now though.
Old November 28th, 2020, 11:37 AM

Correct dragline
Old November 28th, 2020, 12:03 PM

This is what the Elbow looks like I bot it from joe a member on here
Old November 30th, 2020, 06:50 PM

I really appreciate the MUCH better pictures of the piece. I've never seen one in person!

Quick Reply: California Emissions