General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cab Pouch

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2021, 03:40 AM

Cab Pouch

Tis the season for mice to destroy you prize possession[s]

I've [ in the past] tried Irish Spring soap, moth *****, dryer sheets and was wondering if any one had tried this stuff and how they liked it

Old November 27th, 2021, 05:09 AM

That stuff was used a lot by my friends who farm, in the combines and tractors, etc. Of course in that type of work the stuff gets filled up with grain, soys and corn, etc., so it is really common for mice to be drawn in by food. One of those guys gave me a pouch after chewing me out for using moth *****, (which I use and find works fine). I put a pouch in my old truck and all was good, of course I was working on the truck last winter and it wasn't left alone. The Olds was in the other part of barn along with 3 boats which had moth ***** in them- no mice in anything last year though I know they were there as I also had traps set and would get some in the traps.
Old November 27th, 2021, 05:18 AM

I use a similar product I bought at HD. It is very fragrant like mint or something. I had mice destroy the wires in my pool heater so I tried that stuff and seems to work well.
Old November 27th, 2021, 05:53 AM
72 Olds CS

Balsam fir oil is what makes it work. Only Lasts 30 days is the problem. When we had our travel trailer i would load it end to end w dryer sheets, cotton ***** soaked w spearmint and peppermint oil, as well as sticky traps and snap traps. No problems but i did see evidence of mouse activity outside the trailer, and the stuff and smells were contained in the trailer.

i have a few outbuildings. Ive tried dryer sheets etc in those but theyre only effective for the short term ( maybe 30 days). What does work is snap traps. I dont like to use the mouse poison as there are plenty of foxes hawks and owls in my area. ( side note if i canfind the pic i have a sequence of about 10 trail cam pics w a fox trying to catch a mouse).

the snap traps are a little more work, but they are effective.

as soon as it starts getting colder (octoberish] i start baiting multiple traps per building w peanut butter. Many times the trap will be cleaned and untripped. Eventually though iwill check the traps to find them still loaded and untripped (success). I learned (from another forum) that the multiple traps increase success, a couple times ive found a single rodent snapped in 2 or 3 traps.

sometimes its a bit of a nasty business, i generally dont reuse the traps i just throw awaythe trapand kill. If tho the kill is intact i leave it out in a conspicuous spot and generally within a day or two its gone. I like to think im getting the local wildlife to acquire an infinity for mouse!

the one building i havent had any issues w had a fox living under it for a season! Since that time no rodents, even tho i keep baited traps in there.
Old November 27th, 2021, 07:22 AM
4R5

I used that stuff in a small (12x20) shed, and yes the auroma is ok but is was not effective. I went back to live traps with peanut butter.
Old November 27th, 2021, 07:30 AM

I have mice and rats around my place. Even with three cats I still have problems on the cars I don't drive. A buddy has had good sucess with the zapper so I'm going to give it a try. It does need maintenance like a snap trap. Have to check and remove the bodies. This one uses 4 AA batteries and advertizes it can do 20 zaps before changing the batteries. They had one with D cells too that can do more zaps between changing them out.

Old November 27th, 2021, 08:14 AM

If I had mouse issues, this is the way I’d go. Cue maniacal laughing!!🤣🤣
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qk8W5uf-Dw
Old November 27th, 2021, 08:58 AM
72 Olds CS

I had one of those zappers, sometimes the mouse bleeds that happened to mine and corroded the the zapper.
Old November 30th, 2021, 07:29 AM

Old November 30th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Gary

When I worked in a grain mill, we used these inside and outside because they would catch multiple mice. They were very effective.

We checked them daily. They are a live trap, so we dumped the mice into a bucket of soapy water.

No bait needed, just push them up to a wall and the mice walk in. You wind the spring, no batteries.

Old November 30th, 2021, 12:27 PM

vc i use those also,last winter i got a mouse in it in the house garage so i just sat it outside on the driveway to freeze him to death i went out the next day and had another one in there.one thing about em is if you get a mouse in it you can hear em trying to scratch their way out.i quit using glue traps as when they get cold they don't stick as good and the mice pull themselves out of it.
Old November 30th, 2021, 01:05 PM

When I worked in a grain mill, we used these inside and outside because they would catch multiple mice. They were very effective.

We checked them daily. They are a live trap, so we dumped the mice into a bucket of soapy water.

No bait needed, just push them up to a wall and the mice walk in. You wind the spring, no batteries.

What am I missing?
What are you referring to when referring to "these"
Sorry to be dense.
Old November 30th, 2021, 03:55 PM
72 Olds CS

Link for ketch all

http://www.kness.com/store/pc/Ketch-...usetrap-p1.htm

Old December 2nd, 2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I have mice and rats around my place. Even with three cats I still have problems on the cars I don't drive. A buddy has had good sucess with the zapper so I'm going to give it a try. It does need maintenance like a snap trap. Have to check and remove the bodies. This one uses 4 AA batteries and advertizes it can do 20 zaps before changing the batteries. They had one with D cells too that can do more zaps between changing them out.

These work great, they make a version that connects to an app. on your phone and alerts you when it has caught a mice.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 07:29 PM

There are some youtube videos about using pure peppermint liquid. Don't know how long it last though.
Old December 8th, 2021, 09:30 AM
72 Olds CS

Its been several weeks w no activity. The past couple nights have been mid 20s usually that brings them out. I came out this morning to this. I dont relish this job but there is some satisfaction knowing theyre not making babies in my air cleaner. (The olds stays in for the winter so ( knocks on wood) no issues w rodents)