General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

a/c compressor to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:26 AM

a/c compressor to buy or not to buy

Here's the link to look at before going forward...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...21c+compressor

I have been kicking around the idea of replacing my ac compressor for a few years now. I've been putting it off because since my car's a convertible, I have not worried about it that much. But now, I'm starting to run low on other projects, so I'm looking at it again.

This looks like the correct compressor and clutch, but I had one question about it. In the product details it mentions that the refrigerant type is R-134A. Does that mean that it will only work with 134a, or can I run R-12 through it instead?

Last edited by chip-powell; February 1st, 2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old February 1st, 2016, 10:01 AM

which refrigerant?

I have been kicking around the idea of replacing my ac compressor for a few years now...
This looks like the correct compressor and clutch, but I had one question about. In the product details it mentions that the refrigerant type is R-134A. Does that mean that it will only work with 134a, or can I run R-12 through it instead?[/QUOTE]

it looks like you have a factory existing AC in your car that was designed for and did run R12. That is a major factor in favor of staying with R12 if you can find enough at a price that won't break the bank. I am going to stay out of the environmental factors as they are highly emotional and perhaps even legal but your question was technical.

I think only the rebuilder can tell you for sure if R12 will continue to run in your rebuilt compressor. But consider this: When people change to R134 in an R12 system nobody tells them they have to get an R134a specific compressor so it would seem there is nothing about the compressor that is R134a specific. That's my non-expert logic.

There is a link in this that covers R12 to R134a conversion to GM cars:
http://www.classicautoair.com/GM_OEM...sor_Parts.html

The big downside to changing to R134a where the rest of the system including condenser, evaporator, drier etc. is set up for R12 is that at a minimum the drier needs to be changed as it is 'contaminated' from running R12 all those years. Service ports need to be changed also to accommodate R134a and it would be a good idea to change rubber hoses after all those years. Also if changing to 134a the new design condensers are much more efficient and probably worth the cost. I don't know if the new condensers help at all if you continue running R12.

Regardless of what refrigerant you run, you need to clean out the system with a vacuum pump and check to make sure it will hold a vacuum for 30 minutes or so. before filling with oil and refrigerant. If it won't hold a vacuum you obviously have a leak that needs fixing before going ahead with either refrigerant.
Jerry
Old February 1st, 2016, 01:11 PM

The compressor will work with ether R12 or 134A, the OIL is the thing, you must use OIL that is recommended for the type of REF. you chose, if you chose 134A you need to do as 47 Convertible suggested and also adjust the POA valve. Good luck

Johnny
Old February 1st, 2016, 01:28 PM

I have come to not trust very many auto parts stores parts. If you have the time and a little extra money I would send your compressor to Classic Auto Air and have it rebuilt. With shipping you would have more money in it but in my opinion you will have a higher quality product.
Old February 1st, 2016, 01:52 PM

Do yourself a favor and probably save some $$$$ down the road,send your compressor to Classic Auto Air for a rebuild. I bought a top of the line A/C Delco rebuilt compressor from Year One and it started knocking after less than a 100 miles. I sent a compressor to them and it was $399 for the rebuild + shipping. When they rebuild one,only one guy works on it from start to finish and his name is tied to it for quality control. I run R-12 too and it gets expensive when you have to do anything to the system if you don't have a
R 12 recovery system. The compressor you're looking @ is probably a reboxed Four Seasons unit & I've had many problems in the past with them. Just giving you what my experience with A6 compressors. Another thing,Classic Auto Air uses a double lipped front seal that's much better than the OEM seal that leaks if not used on a constant basis.

Sorry,didn't mean to step on Erics toes,it took me a while to post and I didn't see his. He's also giving you some very good advice.
Old February 1st, 2016, 03:39 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess that I will send mine out. Like I've always said, it seems like you learn something new every day on this site.