General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

C casting question

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2015, 01:40 PM

C casting question

Hey guys.. Question for you all, I went to season opener for swap meets near me and a vendor was wanting to sell a pair of C castings in pre-cleaned shape, bare bones. Unexpected to see them he was asking 200 for pair. Usually I never really see olds stuff so I travel lightly with the cash. Only had about 90 dollars on me. I asked maybe if he was willing to go lower yet he agreed. Didn't say how low..So I grabbed his phone number and will call him if they are worth it. Should I try for 150.00 see how motivated he is to sell and hold on to them or let them go at the price? They looked pretty good, like pro cleaned then never done any thing with them? Looked good between valve seats and no body messed with opening them up. What do you think? Thanks Sean
Old March 8th, 2015, 02:00 PM

Prices vary from different parts of the country depending on how much Olds stuff is available. For $150 I'd want them to be hot tanked and magnifluxed, but that's me and how things go in Southwestern Oregon.

If they were 1967's with the V code stamped into the end of one head I'd go higher, but still would like to know they're crack free before shelling out the money unless the price was very cheap.

My 2 cents. John
Old March 8th, 2015, 02:17 PM
same but different

I'll Johns thoughts as well. The price seems fine, just better be crack free. If I could, I'd measure the casting form the lower head bolt boss to the deck area to get an idea of how much might have or have not been milled in its life.
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Thanks guys! Forgot about the milling..I'll call him back in about a week and ask more about them and see how more motivated he is to sell and go from there. Thanks for the input..Sean