General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Bumper piercing

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Bumper piercing

Well everyone else is doing lips, tummies, ears, nose etc., I'm more interested in how to pierce the front and rear bumper to install the bumper guards.

I am deathly afraid of drilling as I think there is a very high risk of 'peeling' the chrome around the holes. Not sure whether the flaking won't be a factor if you double tape around the area or not.

I'll need to make a template for the mounting studs. I know that GM stamp pierced the bumper with a press and left a square 3/8 hole for the bumperette, before plating the bumper. Unfortunately I don't have that in my toolbox..

Has anyone done the bumper piercing to install bumperettes? I even bought new rubber inserts for them (150.00/pr + shipping) and I want to install them fairly soon. I have a rear cutout bumper waiting to go on the car, so that's the one getting the bumperettes. The old bumper is an OEM re chrome I'll hang onto for awhile.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:18 AM

Greenlee makes different sized hole punches that electricians use...the ones I have seen are round...I have one punch that is three inches across and has ball bearings on the load point...they come in two halves and need a pilot hole for a bolt to pass though and compress the two halves together... try renting one from your local rental shop.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM

I know of no square hole punches, but I am sure that they exist somewhere, however, unless they are attached to a big press, it isn't going to work. Just drill a small pilot hole in the bumper, and then drill the next size that you are going to need to bolt on the accessory. No big deal to do if you have a good drill. As for chrome pealing, there is nothing that you can reasonably do to prevent this. Just put some paint on the raw edges to stop the rust, and don't obsess over what you can't control. The only thing that tape is going to do is keep the drill from walking when you start. I suggest that you center punch the spot first to help the drill get started. I have drilled many bumpers, and not had a problem with pealing chrome.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:10 AM

If we lived closer, i would trade bumpers with you.
I have one with exh cutouts AND bumper guard holes to install this winter. I plan to just put carriage bolts in the guard holes......
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Sounds like time for Allan and Rob to make a "Road trip" and "Meet in the middle."
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
If we lived closer, i would trade bumpers with you.
I have one with exh cutouts AND bumper guard holes to install this winter. I plan to just put carriage bolts in the guard holes......
crzyjef re: road trip. Nothing would make me happier than a road trip to meet Rob. Heck, I wouldn't even mind taking my car all the way to TX except I don't have AC and I'm not putting that on my 'might as well' list. Too many changes.

Rob, could you do a measurement and couple of photos showing the piercing locations? Hey! Maybe we should both meet at Johns and do a swap!! Well, it's not likely this fall. BTW - I got all my parts from NAPA today. Only surprise was the inner tie rods. They couldn't get them for a decent price so I ended up paying almost 125 for both of them. Good news though is my corporate discount paid 580 tax in for parts that retailed for 990.00 tax in. I'm ok with that. Just called CMAX to make sure they have NAPA cast, and some POR. Too much to do today to pick it up now. Later.....