General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Build Sheet Question

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2016, 11:20 AM

Build Sheet Question

I am looking into a '72 Cutlass S 442 Hardtop located about 1,000 miles from me. It is immaculate, and I think the price is right, almost too good to be true IMO. It is listed as having the build sheet, Protect-O-Plate, original manuals, and even the welcome letter from Oldsmobile to the original buyer - photos of which have all been sent to me via e-mail.

The car is listed as all original with A/C. HOWEVER, I noticed on the build sheet there is no C61 rpo code, which indicates A/C for the '72 model year. Should I be concerned that the build sheet is possibly not authentic, or are there cases where a build sheet would not show all options? (Not insinuating current owner would know build sheet is not authentic, he may not know if it is.)

I know fake build sheets are an issue with Chevelles and Corvettes, but should I be worried? Am I overthinking this? Any advice is appreciated. I'm including a copy of the build sheet for reference, w/last of VIN blacked out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
72 Build Sheet.pdf (115.2 KB, 77 views)
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:16 PM

When I opened the attachment it was too light too read most of it, but is not C60 the option code for A/C? From what I could read, it seems well optioned. If you pass on it, and from your evaluation, please let me know where it is.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:18 PM

Yes, AC is option code C60.

I can't read that pdf, it's too blurry. You should try to get a scanned copy so it is clear like this:
Attached Images

Last edited by Fun71; October 20th, 2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:26 PM

It would help if the picture of your build sheet had enough resolution so that we could read it.

Does the VIN on the build sheet match that of the car? It is not uncommon for cars, if they even get a build sheet, to have one from another car.

Regardless, C60 is the code for A-body air conditioning. C61 is Comfortron A/C which had automatic temperature control. It was not available on A-bodies.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ostricker
The car is listed as all original with A/C. HOWEVER, I noticed on the build sheet there is no C61 rpo code, which indicates A/C for the '72 model year.
Actually, C61 is the Comfortron automatic A/C, which was only offered on the full size cars. The Four Season A/C in the Cutlass line was still RPO C60. Interestingly, I do see what appears to be "C56 UPR AIR VENT" on the build sheet, which I believe refers to the upper dash ventilation on the Holiday Coupes and Convertibles withOUT air conditioning.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
When I opened the attachment it was too light too read most of it, but is not C60 the option code for A/C? From what I could read, it seems well optioned. If you pass on it, and from your evaluation, please let me know where it is.
Yes, my mistake, C60 is the code missing. It is well-optioned, and I'm leaning towards getting it - I'll give you a heads up if I don't.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, C61 is the Comfortron automatic A/C, which was only offered on the full size cars. The Four Season A/C in the Cutlass line was still RPO C60. Interestingly, I do see what appears to be "C56 UPR AIR VENT" on the build sheet, which I believe refers to the upper dash ventilation on the Holiday Coupes and Convertibles withOUT air conditioning.
Hmmm, would it have been common to get a/c installed by the dealer at a later time, possibly by a subsequent owner or as part of a rebuild?
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yes, AC is option code C60.

I can't read that pdf, it's too blurry. You should try to get a scanned copy so it is clear like this:
The seller just sent me zoomed-in photos of each section of the build sheet. Definitely no C60, I'll ask him what he knows about it. Thx for all the replies.
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ostricker
Hmmm, would it have been common to get a/c installed by the dealer at a later time, possibly by a subsequent owner or as part of a rebuild?
Retrofitting factory A/C is a major big deal that requires significant disassembly of the car. Front end has to come off, dash has to come out, etc, etc. Not impossible but not likely.
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Again, does the VIN on the build sheet match that of the car?
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Again, does the VIN on the build sheet match that of the car?
VIN matches, hence my concerns of a possible fake build sheet. My gut tells me I'm overreacting, but having read about fake build sheets in the past I'm trying to be cautious.
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:40 PM

Just me, but I can not understand why the top row of numbers is so dark compared to the rest of the document.
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jharsh
Just me, but I can not understand why the top row of numbers is so dark compared to the rest of the document.
I asked him by email if he knew the history on the a/c since it doesn't appear on the build sheet. His response was simply, "I don't see the option code either. Not sure why."

Just don't have a good feeling about it. Oh well, thanks again for all of the input.
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:03 AM

possible re-bodied car? Firewall is very, very different between A/C and non-A/C.........Firewall replaced? The build sheet sure looks legit to me.........I think the car was re-bodied..........Check the Fisher Body Plate rivets.......and dash VIN plate rivets......
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by davebw31
possible re-bodied car? Firewall is very, very different between A/C and non-A/C.........Firewall replaced? The build sheet sure looks legit to me.........I think the car was re-bodied..........Check the Fisher Body Plate rivets.......and dash VIN plate rivets......
Ugh, if we're talking possible rebody I need to walk away from this one. Too many unanswered questions. Seller's reply to my question about A/C rpo not on build sheet was simply, "I don't see the option code either. Not sure why."
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

An all-original car with options not shown on the build sheet is not all-original.

A fake build sheet would almost definitely reflect the options actually on the car, otherwise why go to the trouble of making a fake?

So the car has been changed (in a fairly major way) and is not original.

How important is that to you?

- Eric
Old October 21st, 2016, 12:57 PM
delete

JMO but a build sheet only adds sop much value to a base model car (no offense). I wouldn't walk away due to this irregularity. I could also see a scenario where earlier in the build it had the wrong firewall installed so they just went with it.
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:04 PM
72 Olds CS

It's. A 72 442 if it's not a V or U code how do you prove its a 442 ?
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
It's. A 72 442 if it's not a V or U code how do you prove its a 442 ?
It says W29 on the build sheet (bottom section, RH column, third line down).
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:08 PM
72 Olds CS

Wink

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It says W29 on the build sheet (bottom section, RH column, third line down).
So it does I just gave up trying to read it to soon I guess
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:30 PM

droptopron : BS. What planet are you from dude. There were very strict requirements on correct Production Plant Build Sheets and Fisher Broadcast Sheets! Federal requirements dictated this. Get real man.
Old April 19th, 2019, 10:50 AM

build sheet

I found mine with a 1967 copper penny attached to the build sheet with masking tape. The car is a fremont build 1967 442 convertible 4 speed . It was behind the drivers side rear passengers panel. When I removed the sheet I took the penny & taped it to a written message by me & left it in the same spot. Friskyjake 67