General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Build Sheet - BS - ??

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2015, 11:13 AM

Dave,

How the heck did they get the dash, console and carpet in with the seats already installed???? The 68 assembly manual states:

"Carpet Assembly or Mat, Fisher Furnish, Olds Install"

Section 1-1 page 113

If you've ever removed or installed a 68-69 dash you know the first thing you do is take out the seats. Maybe Fisher just set them in the car loosely bolted

Last edited by allyolds68; June 27th, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old June 27th, 2015, 11:28 AM

allyolds68:

The items you mentioned were already installed!

THE SEATS WERE THE LAST TO GO IN along with the Fisher Broadcast sheet(s). In 68-72 they physically lifted the seats in place. I know, because I stood there and WATCHED THEM DO IT! Starting 73' model they used a spring loaded contraption to assist installing.
Old June 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by davebw31
allyolds68:

The items you mentioned were already installed!

THE SEATS WERE THE LAST TO GO IN along with the Fisher Broadcast sheet(s). In 68-72 they physically lifted the seats in place. I know, because I stood there and WATCHED THEM DO IT! Starting 73' model they used a spring loaded contraption to assist installing.

So you saying the dash, console, carpet, seats....everything in the tub was installed at Fisher????
Old June 27th, 2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
So you saying the dash, console, carpet, seats....everything in the tub was installed at Fisher????
Dave is correct. Interior including dash, carpet, seats and even the hvac on the firewall was all installed at Fisher. I remember watching the Fisher Body trucks transporting the bodies to final assy. when I lived in Lansing. ~BOB
Old June 28th, 2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by davebw31
Look at it this way: everything from the cowl back (or dash) was done at Fisher Body. Everything from the cowl forward and chassis was Lansing Assembly.

Koda: seats were installed at Fisher

ALL: The Fisher Body Broadcast Card was basically to identify body piercing or other special items concerning sheet metal, interior, etc., to tell the line workers what to do or not.

All the time I was down on the assembly line at Lasing Assembly I never saw a Lansing Assembly Build Sheet ever be left in the car. There were two "55 gal. barrels stations, one on each side at two final assembly line stations, the "alignment station" and finally at the "drive line performance test station". I know of only a few Build Sheet that got in to the hands of the customer and that was people like me who worked there, had connections, saw the car built, and bought it. I had mine to the last 70' F85 W31 automatic built. Where is it? Christ I wish I knew......! I do have the dealer invoice, but lost everything else. Who knew those documents would that important now..........!
It is very cool to have people that have been there (during actual assembly) on this forum! Thank you for your perspective as such a person, Dave, and all others for interest in discussing some of this stuff!
Old June 29th, 2015, 01:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I second how cool to have information from the guys who were there.

But I don't think the myth that every car has a build sheet tucked away somewhere will ever go away.

Roger.