General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Brake booster leaking vacuum?

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:02 PM

Brake booster leaking vacuum?

So ive noticed this throughout the time ive had the car ill on and off hear the vacuum leak from the booster when I shut the car off. you can hear it hissing and emptying. I believe this to be a leak. it is on and off, but I think now it finally is on it way out.

What else does the brake booster vacuum affect besides stopping power?

can it affect the carburetor, for I feel the carb is acting like it has a vacuum leak, so instead of ripping off a functioning carb could this booster leak be the problem if it is leaking?

I may be taking the carb off anyway just to check and replace some really old gaskets but still any info on this would be great Thanks!
Old March 18th, 2014, 12:17 PM

The 63 has a booster tank behind the drivers side hood hinge that is bolted to the inner fender, there is one line that goes to the "T" fitting on the booster and the other hose goes towards the engine and will have a vacuum flow valve hanging near the top of the firewall.
Sometimes the vacuum valve cracks allowing for a leak, I would check this valve first before going any further. If you think that the vacuum leak is effecting the engine then remove the hose from the back of the intake manifold and tape it up and try it again. The booster tank will allow the car to stop several times with power brakes before running out of vacuum.
Steve
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:03 PM

It actually isn't the brake booster at all, but I think now a vacuum line for the ac/heat controls. the line for the booster goes to a port on the manifold, I took that off and taped the ends up good, and it didn't seem to change at all. I tried the line on the back of the carb to the big vac can looking thing mounted to the firewall (which I assume controls the buttons on the dash) and I think that somewhere in that system is the leak. thanks for the advice, these sorts of things are one big process of elimination eh.