General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Brackets - gas tank brackets

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Brackets - gas tank brackets

Have a question. A mechanic said my gas tank is about to fall off. I just reviewed and though there is rust I don’t see if at a critical level.

With that said, my 17 year old wants to take the car to the prom. So I want it to be safe.

I will buy new straps but any idea where to get the brackets and bolt holders if I need to weld new ones on?

Attached Images
Old January 17th, 2021, 12:36 PM

I think you might be able to get reproduced supports that would be the entire length of the piece between the brackets. Depending on what year/model your car is someone here might have good used parts they would cut off for you to weld on.
Old January 17th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

The search term is "gas tank braces". Don't be surprised if you need a trunk floor also. And yes, I think your mechanic is a tad melodramatic.

https://championchevelle.com/6872-ch...c7210d47a46356

Old January 17th, 2021, 12:54 PM

That's not something to freak out about. Maybe don't fill the tank more than 2/3rds to save some weight there. I think it will be a large repair and time consuming, so best to plan it out.
Old January 17th, 2021, 02:15 PM

Thank you!

I figure it will need some repair. Hopefully just some patching. New to Oldsmobile. Are Chevelle and Cutlass parts interchangeable (I know this won’t be a blanket statement) in many cases?

yes he wanted $4k to repair and replace these brackets. Won’t be using him anymore.

Originally Posted by Koda
That's not something to freak out about. Maybe don't fill the tank more than 2/3rds to save some weight there. I think it will be a large repair and time consuming, so best to plan it out.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 02:21 PM

Good news

Well. Interesting finding. I just removed the rug that was pasted to the trunk floor and grinded down the floor pans.

overall pretty solid trunk floor. So the rust underneath hasn’t come through. I am not finished but found some filler. So may find some rust but the trunk floor is pretty solid.

I will finish grinding it down. Then get underneath and address the rust and treat it. I may have to see about the gas tank brackets but good news for now.

QUOTE=Kelleycougar70;1310559]I figure it will

need some repair. Hopefully just some patching. New to Oldsmobile. Are Chevelle and Cutlass parts interchangeable (I know this won’t be a blanket statement) in many cases?

yes he wanted $4k to repair and replace these brackets. Won’t be using him anymore.[/QUOTE]