General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Blue Ridge Parkway....Mission Complete!

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2019, 05:50 PM

Blue Ridge Parkway....Mission Complete!

We made it! A week of great scenery, people and good times!

The itinerary was Day 1 Charleston to Charlottesville, VA.....Day 2 Charlottesville to Floyd VA. Spent that morning at Monticello. The rain and fog wasn’t helpful but it is what it is. About halfway to Floyd it cleared up and life was good......Day 3 Floyd to Blowing Rock, NC.....Day 4 Blowing Rock to. Asheville. Extra day in Asheville for junk shopping and then back to Charleston.

This is a drive everyone should make.It’s mind blowing.....we stopped a million times just to gape at the vistas. The car ran great except for an exhaust manifold gasket giving up the ghost again.....think a warped flange may be the culprit.... but that aside, no worries. I think other travelers took more pictures of the Olds than I did. It was a conversation piece for everyone.

Anyway...pics as promised!

A very common sight...

Last edited by troyd; October 26th, 2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old October 26th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing. Its a one of the prettiest drives in the country.
Old October 27th, 2019, 04:08 AM
Running On Empty

You nailed it for the fall colors. Happy it worked well for you.
Old October 27th, 2019, 07:15 AM

A lot of the folks that we talked to along the way......we are talkers......said that the foliage this year isn't what it normally is. Long hot and dry summer. It was still mind blowing though.

A couple of stops along the way that I would highly recommend is the orchard at Altapass. It's between Blowing Rock and Asheville. The homemade apple pie is to die for. The Blue Ridge Music Center near Galax VA was pretty darn cool. We like one stop light towns.....Floyd VA is a great one.

Anyway, this may become a yearly event......

Cheers,

Troy
Old October 27th, 2019, 08:46 AM

Thank you for the report. Glad you had a great time. I am excited to take this trip in our Jetfire but will not likely happen till 2021. We travel the south end of the BRP every couple year but we plan to drive the full thing in the Jetfire
Old October 27th, 2019, 09:48 AM

It's an amazing trip and very, very doable........everyone says the fall is the best time to do it but, honestly, I'd do it any time.

2021 isn't that far away......perhaps if we planned it, we could get a few more Oldsmobile-ers to go along?

Cheers,

Troy
Old October 27th, 2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by troyd
It's an amazing trip and very, very doable........everyone says the fall is the best time to do it but, honestly, I'd do it any time.

2021 isn't that far away......perhaps if we planned it, we could get a few more Oldsmobile-ers to go along?

Cheers,

Troy

That would be great but my wife and I sort of go at a random pace. Never know when we would stop or detour. I guess we could do a start and stop point for each day and everyone could go as they please between. I would be willing to try it
Old October 27th, 2019, 10:13 AM

We are the same way, we are social but we go to get away from being on any sort of schedule.........I'm thinking more along the lines of just an unorganized gaggle. Just sort of meet up and shove off kinda thing. Just something that crossed my mind....

Cheers,

Troy
Old October 27th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by troyd
We are the same way, we are social but we go to get away from being on any sort of schedule.........I'm thinking more along the lines of just an unorganized gaggle. Just sort of meet up and shove off kinda thing. Just something that crossed my mind....

Cheers,

Troy
That would fit us best. I want to do the same thing in the Smoky Mountains someday. Get a few people to meet up at a hotel for 3 to 5 days and everyone do their own thing. Maybe do a drive all together one day but other than that just to each their own. Each evening most people would be around the hotel
Old October 27th, 2019, 02:48 PM

Made that trip many, many always a beautiful dive