General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

BFG RWL new tires letters turning brown

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2019, 05:50 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

BFG RWL new tires letters turning brown

Bought 5 BFGs 3 years ago. 3, 235/15/60s and 2 rear 255s. They might have 300 miles on them. I could not get the letters on the rear tires to clean up. They looked like 20-year-old weathered tires. I don't believe in tire dressing. I resorted to 400G wet sandpaper and bleach/soap to get them white and that only lasted a few months before the brown came back. Like a mocha color.
BFG knows they have this production problem. Only certain runs only at certain plants within a DOT date range.

Short story long...I just had the rears replaced by BFG under warranty. One tire had a DOT date of late 2014...the other early 2015, ya they sit around that long. They were installed in summer 2016 800 bux. I installed new SS1s at that time.

BFG replaced under warranty. Cost me a grand total of $5 for tire disposal...mount/balance included.

Now that's how a company stands behind their product! So hats off to BFG. We should always remember to speak some good when kudos are due.

Last edited by droldsmorland; May 29th, 2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Never did learn how to spell
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:23 AM

I'm having the same problem with one of my front tires. The other 3 are fine but the one I have on the rt frt has some brown at the top of the letters & no matter what I do it comes back just like yours. I have 275/60/15s out back & they're fine. My fronts are also 235/60s. I should have tried to get it replaced back when I first noticed it, but they're 6 yrs old & it's too late now.
Old May 26th, 2019, 04:42 AM

Good to hear they stood behind their product. You are spreading the word. Sounds like they are a smart company...
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:48 AM

Good that they honored the warranty.

I used an Armor All tire dressing on my tires before I went to Afghanistan. When I came back for leave after 6 months the tires were brown and grungy. I was able to get it off with some elbow grease and Simple Green. I contacted Armor All and they at least refunded me the money I spent on the tire dressing.

White letter tires probably aren't as susceptible as white walls but bleach can damage the white rubber. Even though I don't run white walls on my Olds anymore I stick to Simple Green so I know it won't damage the tire.
Old May 26th, 2019, 06:29 AM

I recommend SOS pads to clean white walls. Used to get a lot of practice on my Dads '49 Olds with 4" wide whites.

Bleche-Wite (yes, thats the correct spelling) has been the best cleaner for tires that I have found.
Also cleans greasy parts pretty well. Use this stuff with a brush & then hit the letters or whitewall with the SOS pad.

My favorite tire shine is More Shine by Stoner Products.
It is a silicone spray... get the aerosol, not the bottle.
It sprays on like paint, not a foam & is easy to get the right amount on.
Anywhere from satin to gloss depending on how many coats you put on.
Old May 26th, 2019, 06:43 AM

I use silicone spray. It’s getting hard to find now. It keeps the nice and from cracking. I also inflated my space saver and sprayed it.
griots garage makes a rubber cleaner, I have it but haven’t tried it.
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:10 PM

I have been using 303 products the last few years and like the results. Not an Armour All fan. Years ago I wiped down the dash of my 75 Cutlass with Armour All, the next day the dash had a big crack in it.

Don W
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Administrator

From what I understand you aren't the first to complain about the discoloration that nothing will clean. Glad BFG stepped up. I went black wall out this time and can't wait for my RWL's to get black and grungy.
Old May 26th, 2019, 06:50 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Bleche-Wite used to be good before they reformulated it a bunch of years ago. Now it's like spraying Windex on white letters, crap!
I used every tire cleaning or degreasing product I could get my hands on steel wool as well, even some commercial grade professional car detailing products wouldn't whiten them up. No luck. Like I said I wound up with 400 wet sandpaper, bleach n dawn, and that didn't last 30 days. Was leery of scuffing the new chrome rims with the 400.

I did some research and saw they had some process problems where the black rubber behind the white was leaching through.
That's when I went online and opened a warranty claim. I had to take them to a local Dunn and they handled the rest. In fact, I'm going to drop off lunch or a gift card to him for his time. I'm also gonna thank the BFG guy online.

Agreed. nice to have a company stand behind something. If they wouldn't I was gonna turn the RWL to the inside no more free advertising.

Rob, Can't hurt to see if they will stand behind a 6-year-old tire. But what the hell worth a try if its got 95% tread maybe at least they will prorate a new one?

Shifty Ill have to look into 303 products, That's one I haven't heard of yet.

I have a commercial account with a local auto body paint & detail shop here in town. I use these guys for all body & interior products. I rarely use big box store stuff. They were shocked when their tire cleaning product didn't touch it.
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

BFG has a 6 year warranty against defects from the day of purchase, check your receipt.