General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best reproduction license plate light housing

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Best reproduction license plate light housing

Hello, I've been spending my nights in the barn cleaning up the Cutlass in preparation for warmer weather that never seems to come.

I have the license plate light and housing off the car and it's pretty rusty and looks pretty bad. I saw oldzzy's incredible work on his car and license plate light housing but I'm concerned that it will just rust again after sand blasting and painting and that the ground might not conduct through the paint.

I've seen two reproductions of these at OPGI and at Year One. Does anyone have any feedback on either of these products?

http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/C240244/

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964...lass-442/lp70c

The year one reproduction appears to have the correct finish on it but from what I know, not the correct color wire which I believe should be brown.

The OPGI reproduction doesn't seem to have the correct finish and appears to have a black wire.

I can always sand blast mine but I figured it might be worth the $45 plus shipping for one of these. Are there others out there I have overlooked?

Let me know if you have any feedback on these before I make a purchase. Thanks.

-Steve
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:23 AM
"Trying to fix her right"

The parts place has them for $39. You have to search "license lamp assembly" otherwise it won't come up. I tried cleaning my old one but it was too far gone, more trouble then what it was worth.
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by dfire25
The parts place has them for $39. You have to search "license lamp assembly" otherwise it won't come up. I tried cleaning my old one but it was too far gone, more trouble then what it was worth.
Looks correct too, thanks for the information. That was my thought that it wasn't worth the trouble when these were relatively inexpensive.
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:44 AM

Just in case anyone is interested, I got the license lamp assembly from the parts place. Just a few things to note about this part . . .

The metal part looks identical to my original from what I can tell and the plating looks to be the same.

The wire is too long compared to my original but appears to be the correct color. It also had a rubber grommet on the wire which from what I can tell is not necessary on my car as the original wire shared the split grommet with the RH back up light wire.

The lens is not correct and does not have the guide marking on it or the bump out on the corner that only lets you orient the lens one way on the original. The screws that hold the lens to the housing also didn't look like my originals.

The gasket was a little hard to deal with when installing the lens on the housing and I had to stretch it slightly to get it to seat under the lens.

All in all, not bad for the price and if all you need is the housing then this is the way to go. I'll probably try cleaning up my yellowed original lens and try to find some correct looking screws for my rusty originals.

Steve