General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

belt screach

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:11 PM

belt screach

I put new belts on now I have a screech.Is there a fix for this?Or should I just tighten them a little more? I thought I tightened them the same as I always did.
railguy
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Hookers under Hood

Don't know the year of your vehicle but if its newer with a belt tensioner, the tensioner will need replacing.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They're too loose. Tighten them.

- Eric
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Don't know the year of your vehicle but if its newer with a belt tensioner, the tensioner will need replacing.
No belt tensioner.
railguy
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Do a search for Joe P's write up on properly tightening the power steering belt. THought I had it right, but doing it the correct way solved my occasional slip at higher rpms.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Administrator

They aren't tight enough if the accessory they are attached to is serviceable. Or it's the wrong belt profile.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Do a search for Joe P's write up on properly tightening the power steering belt. THought I had it right, but doing it the correct way solved my occasional slip at higher rpms.
Here, I'll make it easy:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/432836-post5.html
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Restorer

Belt Squeal fix

I have found that the most likely culprit is the Alternator Pulley. If you have a stamped steel pulley, look at the surface where the belt rides. You will probably find the surface irregular and with grooves worn in it. Especially after just starting the car, and the Alternator is putting out higher than normal amps to replace the surface charge in the battery that was used to start the car, the belt will slip on the Alternator Pulley. Replace the pulley with a new one, a machined steel one is the best option. I have found this to fix nearly all of the belt squealing problems on GM cars.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 425HP409
I have found that the most likely culprit is the Alternator Pulley.
I have to disagree, but that's irrelevant. It's VERY easy to determine which belt is squealing. Loosen one belt at a time and run the engine. When the squealing stops, you've found the culprit.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Restorer

Joe, you didn't have to be condescending in your reply by stating "I have to disagree, but that's irrelevant." You should have left that sentence out and just stated your reply as to loosening the belts one at a time.

I have been working on these cars since the 60's and have repaired many a squealing belt on GM cars and trucks by replacing the alternator pulley. A worn and grooved pulley will not engage the belt completely, which can lead to a slip and consequently a squeal. I gave a solution to the problem where you only gave a diagnosis as to which belt is squealing, even though you don't agree with my solution.

Charles
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Joe, you didn't have to be condescending in your reply by stating "I have to disagree, but that's irrelevant."
The vulture approach gets a little old. it is insulting.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis

I like this forum because of the good information and lack of drama, politics and name calling. Some posters can be a little direct or blunt and it's hard to capture tone or satire in online posts. Joe's posts have steered me in the right direction many times but he cannot always diagnose a problem sight unseen. Let's help the OP fix his squeal without adding a whine to his problem.

(Knew I should not have had that last beverage...)
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:28 AM
70 Cutlass SX

This is a potential problem for everyone, so the technical discussion is very interesting. Please don't make this a thread to avoid.
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jag1886
Joe, you didn't have to be condescending in your reply by stating "I have to disagree, but that's irrelevant."
The vulture approach gets a little old. it is insulting.
Sorry if you found something to be offended by in that post. My point was that MY opinion was irrelevant since it was easy to test and thus prove us all wrong.
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Restorer

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry if you found something to be offended by in that post. My point was that MY opinion was irrelevant since it was easy to test and thus prove us all wrong.
Apology accepted.
Charles
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:53 AM

I had seen someone on you tube take a bar of soap to a power steering belt while it was running as a means to determine which belt was squealing. The screech stopped right away. Of course you have to be careful when doing this due to moving parts and all, but a novel approach to say the least.
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by fbonanno
I had seen someone on you tube take a bar of soap to a power steering belt while it was running as a means to determine which belt was squealing. The screech stopped right away. Of course you have to be careful when doing this due to moving parts and all, but a novel approach to say the least.
I've heard that before but I also heard that while stopping the screech it increased the slipping,which makes sense.I haven't had time yet but I'm pretty sure it just needs tightening.As usual the easiest answer is the probably right one.
railguy
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:57 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Talcum powder works as well, but it gets blown all over the engine bay if you apply it with the engine running.
Certain Olds 307 powered models with a/c have the alternator driven directly from the water pump pulley, not on of GMs brightest ideas imo. Unless both a/c and power steering belts are properly adjusted they are notorious for belt squeal, and if as often happens the a/c belt has been removed the steering belt has to be very tight giving an excessive side load to the water pump.

What year and engine are we referring to here?.

Roger.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:02 PM

74 350
railguy
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:51 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Then I think you have either a worn or incorrect profile belt(s), worn pulleys or both.

Roger.