General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

BAP has new reproduction Bumpers anyone have them?

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM

BAP has new reproduction Bumpers anyone have them?

I was thinking about ordering a set of these front and back for my 69. TheY stated there all new takin from GM Exact Specs.The 68's cutlass bumpers have gone out to multiple happy customers I was told and I would like to know if anyone has got them here and there opinion. The 69's will be avalibe in weeks.These reproductions are much cheaper than chroming my originals. I have yet to see and hear of a place that chromes old bumpers that doesn't have multiple negative remarks on there work on the net or elsewhere. If the reproductions look good and bolt up fine that would be great. Thats all I want. Thanks Guys!
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Oldsdruid

I'd see if someone else had these bumpers first, even if they were a few bucks more expensive.

They may be made from original GM specs, but if they're not stamped out on original GM tooling my experience is they may or may not fit well. Plus can about promise they're made offshore.
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Registered

I'm sure glad those bumpers aren't made to furd specs.

Here's a recent thread about the '68-'69 bumpers, they don't look bad for the price. How they can have show car plating for that price I don't know, but I'm no Taiwanesium chrome expert.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...2-bumpers.html

The last time I checked plating a decent core is about the same or not that much more than the repro bumpers.
It wont be overly restored show car quality but will look as good as it was when new.

I've never heard any negative remarks about Tri-City plating.

http://tricityplating.com/
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Thanks guys. My originals are actually in very good shape, they just have never been re-chromed since new, so its time. The cost is really getting out of hand on chroming. And when you add the issue of hoards of very unhappy customers it makes it even worse.Sending them out of state is even more of a crap shoot. In 1990 I could get a bumper done right in town for $100.00. (Archie and edith!)-Those were the days.