General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Bait and switch ?

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Kjr442

Bait and switch ?

What do you guys think of this?
My son and I went to a local Chevrolet dealership to buy two new Z71 LTZ trucks. I told the sales guy what I wanted in a truck, as in color and options. I told him what I was willing to pay. They pulled one up on the computer that was everything I wanted, and the price was then agreed on. the paperwork was done, the manager signed off on it. I went out to find the truck on the lot with the salesman, and I drove the truck up to the show room. We were just heading back to the finance guy, and the manager stops everything. We were told that he could not sell the truck to me with the wheels that were on it, unless I pay 2,000 more.
I told him we would take our business somewhere else, and I would be contacting my lawyer. His response was, I have done nothing wrong, do what you think you need to do.
BTW, My son and I bought our trucks from another dealership.

Last edited by kjr442; November 4th, 2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old November 4th, 2015, 08:24 PM

I don't think you need a lawyer, I'd go to another dealer with the offer you got and ask them to beat it. I have tried to be so loyal to a local Ford dealer and they always switch things around. I have learned to play one dealer against the other and get the best deal for me not them.

Years ago I bought a Taurus SHO, when I got to the finance guy he wanted to charge me a $1000 premium for the super charger. Showed me 'Official Ford" documents that say a fee needed to be charged for super charged and turbo charged cars, the SHO was "Super High Output." I told him to follow me out to the car. If he could show me the super charger I'd pay the grand and write an additional check to him for another grand — he never left his office, all of a sudden I didn't need to pay the additional fee.
Old November 4th, 2015, 09:03 PM
72 Olds CS

yeah dealers are a funny lot...my boss just got a new F150 the not so local dealer posted their price in the paper, he went to the local dealer showed them the paper and said come close the local dealer shrugged and said they wont sell it for that price, he came back w a new truck for the advertised price we wondered why the local dealer didnt want the sale ? He has done plenty of business w them in the past.

in your case I think he saw you buying two trucks and thought yeah he can afford a 2k tire fee, you did the right thing go somewhere else .....
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So that idiot just blew two sales at once. Wow. And if this actually happened at the end of last month, that may have kept the dealership from hitting its randomly generated target, and potentially cost them tens of thousands in incentive money from GM.

As far as a lawyer, I would suspect that the "paperwork" did not include a binding contract, so that, in the end, there is no case, but it's fair to check with a lawyer just in case.

Did you drive by and show him your nice new trucks yet?

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Being in the car business for a long time I'll try to shed some light on your situation. What I'm assuming happened is the truck you were buying had aftermarket tires/wheels on it that the dealer installed but wasn't reflected in the computer inventory price. It had an addendum sticker to the original MSRP on the vehicle and the Manager missed the added expense when he priced the truck to you. Upon them finding their error and realizing they could not lose an additional $2k, they explained the issue and probably apologized for their oversight. Mistakes happen and I don't blame them for not consummating the deal. You have to remember that the only thing standing in the way of a new car deal is when a dealership stands to lose money. Was this the scenario you were up against?
Old November 5th, 2015, 07:28 AM

Honest mistake as Eric says? - Maybe, but sounds like they could have handled it better.
Unethical dealer? - Maybe. Even if not, Finance guys always push high margin add-ons to the deal. Caveat emptor.
Lawyer Up? - No way. Doubt you have a binding contract, have no real loss (other than time) since you bought from another dealer, and legal fees would eat up any gain you get.
Old November 5th, 2015, 07:49 AM
delete

Were the one ones that came on the car from the manufacturer as per the window sticker? Were they a dealer add on? If they were an add on they would be an add'l charge but it could have been handled better.
Old November 5th, 2015, 08:15 AM

It wasn't illegal as you had no contract. Bait and switch is both of you agree to X for a price, sign stuff, then they welsh on it and try to give you Y instead of X.

Car dealers are uniformly scum. There may be exceptions. I just had to pull every damn resource I could muster through my engineering job at Toyota to avoid the dealer in Evansville screwing me. I now have a reputation at that dealer, don't know if it's good or bad, but they KNOW me.
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:44 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thats why I call them Stealerships! Going to the stealership is liken to a colonoscopy with DC powered barbed wire wrapped around it!
Dealer...er...Stealer should have stood behind the signature you provided. They lose!
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Randy C.

As I see it, the dealer just blew a good deal. I don't believe there is a legal case from it, but the dealership just lost out, period. You did wise by going to a different dealership, in my opinion.

Randy C.
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Senior Moment Member

You did what you should have done. Took your business elsewhere. Eff 'em.
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:34 AM

why is people's first thought to call a lawyer all the time? just take business elsewhere and be done with it. this country...smh
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by Koda
It wasn't illegal as you had no contract. Bait and switch is both of you agree to X for a price, sign stuff, then they welsh on it and try to give you Y instead of X.

Car dealers are uniformly scum. There may be exceptions. I just had to pull every damn resource I could muster through my engineering job at Toyota to avoid the dealer in Evansville screwing me. I now have a reputation at that dealer, don't know if it's good or bad, but they KNOW me.
Koda this is precisely what happened.
I have the managers signature , and mine on the paper that shows what the agreed price was. this paper has the vin number on it. Koda this is precisely was happened.

Last edited by kjr442; November 5th, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Kjr442

These are factory wheels, but much nicer then what comes stock on the Z71
Old November 5th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by 88 Cutty Classic
why is people's first thought to call a lawyer all the time? just take business elsewhere and be done with it. this country...smh
Well,, this is the first time I have ever thought about it, but then again, why the hell not? Why should they get away with pulling this kind of crap on people?
Old November 5th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by kjr442
Koda this is precisely what happened.
I have the managers signature , and mine on the paper that shows what the agreed price was. this paper has the vin number on it. Koda this is precisely was happened.
Ok, then you had a contract for sale and could have lawyered up, but lost money on the fees.
Old November 5th, 2015, 01:17 PM

my two cents

Why buy a new truck & eat all that tax and depreciation?

The best truck or any vehicle is the one that some dumb *** with more money than brains had to have then a few months in realizes that they could not afford it.

Good low mile used vehicles make way more sense than new. In my opinion you both wasted your money.
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:16 PM

Sometimes with rebates, discounts and 0% financing you get a pretty good deal on the exact car you want.
Old November 5th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Lansing built

You did the right thing if you feel your being slighted. BTW which wheels were on it? 18" aluminium bright is standard for LTZ. Everything 20" is an option.

22" 7 spoke optional accessory.

Pat

2014 Silverado 1LT crew cab
2014 Impala 1LT
2004 Alero GLS coupe
1970 Cutlass supreme HT coupe
Old November 5th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by 1970cs
You did the right thing if you feel your being slighted. BTW which wheels were on it? 18" aluminium bright is standard for LTZ. Everything 20" is an option.

22" 7 spoke optional accessory.

Pat

2014 Silverado 1LT crew cab
2014 Impala 1LT
2004 Alero GLS coupe
1970 Cutlass supreme HT coupe

22" chrome, looked pretty nice with them on it.
Old November 5th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Sometimes with rebates, discounts and 0% financing you get a pretty good deal on the exact car you want.
You are correct. we even had discounts from being Costco members.
Old November 5th, 2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Being in the car business for a long time I'll try to shed some light on your situation. What I'm assuming happened is the truck you were buying had aftermarket tires/wheels on it that the dealer installed but wasn't reflected in the computer inventory price. It had an addendum sticker to the original MSRP on the vehicle and the Manager missed the added expense when he priced the truck to you. Upon them finding their error and realizing they could not lose an additional $2k, they explained the issue and probably apologized for their oversight. Mistakes happen and I don't blame them for not consummating the deal. You have to remember that the only thing standing in the way of a new car deal is when a dealership stands to lose money. Was this the scenario you were up against?

Eric, I'm sure you're correct. I also spent 45 years in the car business and have seen many instances where wheels have been switched from one vehicle to another because someone wanted the vehicle but not a higher grade of wheel, whether it was factory or aftermarket. Somewhere along the line of the switch, the info never got to the office to correct the cost of the vehicles. Unfortunately, sales departments are far more concerned with the sale than they are the paperwork.

That said, you and I know that no matter what we do to explain a situation like this, we'll never convince anyone that it was nothing but underhanded.

Such is life in the car biz...

Last edited by 1968_Post; November 5th, 2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old November 5th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Why buy a new truck & eat all that tax and depreciation?

The best truck or any vehicle is the one that some dumb *** with more money than brains had to have then a few months in realizes that they could not afford it.

Good low mile used vehicles make way more sense than new. In my opinion you both wasted your money.
My last new truck gave me 323,000. miles. I still have it, but it was time to retire it.
I do see your point, but I just wanted new.

Last edited by kjr442; November 5th, 2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old November 6th, 2015, 03:28 AM
Lansing built

22" chrome, looked pretty nice with them on it.
Yep they put on the accessory wheel and tire package.
according to Chevys web site about $1000.00 per corner.

Given the facts, I believe they made an honest mistake.

I work for an farm equipment dealer we also make tire combo swaps and we make sure that our pricing reflects the change on inventory sheets and clearly marked on the unit! Dealer transfers are where the problem lies. The invoice from the manufacturer shows options as shipped!

I like them too! I stuck with 18" option for 1 LT 7 spoke bright aluminum. Replacement tires are like $700 installed. Where as 22" $1200 just for the tires, not installed.

Pat
Old November 6th, 2015, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post

That said, you and I know that no matter what we do to explain a situation like this, we'll never convince anyone that it was nothing but underhanded.

Such is life in the car biz...
Yes, that's the tough part, the good guys have it harder because of the bad guys.

I love when sales people ask me what I want my monthly payments to be! To be fair I'd like them to be ten bucks! I spoke to a finance guy I know, he says far more people care about a monthly payment then total cost of car - hard to believe but he said its true.
Old November 6th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Not hard to believe at all. The reason why salespeople bring up the payment or price question is because apparently the American public cannot do simple math. They look at $60k vehicles and think they can have a payment of $300/month with 0 down.
Old November 6th, 2015, 10:05 AM

What I don't like is how cash is no longer king. Used to be, you could expect a better deal if you paid cash and did not finance. Now, they don't care if you finance, and they expect you to do so, so paying cash doesn't help.

Old trick I heard, man would come in with hundreds, and he'd start laying them down. He told them he'll lay them down until he either hit what the dealership would take, or the limit of what he would offer, but if the dealership was too greedy, and he hit that limit, he'd scoop them up and leave. Sort of Car Sale Blackjack.
Old November 6th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Still on the planet...

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Yes, that's the tough part, the good guys have it harder because of the bad guys.

I love when sales people ask me what I want my monthly payments to be! To be fair I'd like them to be ten bucks! I spoke to a finance guy I know, he says far more people care about a monthly payment then total cost of car - hard to believe but he said its true.

[Emphasis added above] This is absolutely true and has been for decades, at least in my experience. As a former Olds, Cadillac, Honda, Sea Doo, & Yamaha dealer it was the #1 question asked. I sold my last dealership in '95 and from what I observe in the retail world it's even more prevalent (if that's possible ) today!
Old November 6th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Koda
What I don't like is how cash is no longer king. Used to be, you could expect a better deal if you paid cash and did not finance. Now, they don't care if you finance, and they expect you to do so, so paying cash doesn't help.
Back before computers and dealer financing cash was king because it cut the time and paperwork down dramatically. Now that there is dealer financing its a profit center. They make no profit on cash, therefore there is no incentive other than a car deal.
Old November 6th, 2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Back before computers and dealer financing cash was king because it cut the time and paperwork down dramatically. Now that there is dealer financing its a profit center. They make no profit on cash, therefore there is no incentive other than a car deal.
That makes a cubic ton of sense.
Old November 6th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Lansing built

Actually, a lot of lending institutions are paying loan incentives to dealerships!

I have couple on the AG side that pay me an incentive for using them for customer loans. And my own credit union said they would pay 1.5% on the loan value if we setup as being an outside vendor.

Pat
Old November 6th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Actually, a lot of lending institutions are paying loan incentives to dealerships!

I have couple on the AG side that pay me an incentive for using them for customer loans. And my own credit union said they would pay 1.5% on the loan value if we setup as being an outside vendor.
Isn't that called an "illegal kickback"?

- Eric
Old November 6th, 2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
nothing illegal about it. Happens on almost every deal.

Car dealers even get money kicked their way when they sign you for a 0% loan.
Old November 6th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Kjr442

I only wanted what I was told I could have, for the money we agreed on, but that all changed.
In my opinion, friendly Chevrolet of Dallas Texas sucks.
The sad thing is, we have bought two other new cars from this " stealership " but no more,, not ever!
Old November 7th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
Call it a commission. But since the one I use the most has the best interest rate, I still believe that I am looking out for the best for the consumer also!

Pat
Old November 7th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Lansing built

I only wanted what I was told I could have, for the money we agreed on, but that all changed.
In my opinion, friendly Chevrolet of Dallas Texas sucks.
The sad thing is, we have bought two other new cars from this " stealership " but no more,, not ever!
No doubt! You did what you thought was right. You walked away. The good news about the domestic makers there is a dealership in the next town that will take care of you.

Heck I even was lied to on my own deal. We were dealing with them and they wanted to move that 2014 crew cab 4X4 off the lot which the 2015 had been hitting the lots for 6 months already. They gave me the crew cab option at 60% msrp. Which they did.

The problem came to accessories! They said I could have everything "at cost" the quote came back at full published MSRP on line. I spoke to the manager and told him what the deal was agreed upon he said that is his cost that he pays to the parts department. I was not happy but finally we worked out 10% off plus three additional oil changes.

The deal on the truck was to good to pass up! $44,320 sticker for $34.800 out the door.

Old November 7th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm sorry. I've got to say that where I come from, if you make a deal, and you sign off on the deal, and the deal is clear ("this particular vehicle, as it sits"), then you are bound by the deal you made.

It may be that it was an honest mistake, and it may be possible to convince the buyer of that and have him agree to a change in the deal, but if you made a deal to sell a car a certain way, and the buyer has seen it and all have agreed, that is it, no "do overs."

I have bought used cars "as is," where I knew and could see that there was a minor problem causing the malfunction that was making the seller sell it (choke disconnected, for instance). He had no right to call me back and change his mind.

I also sold an old 911 "as is" about ten years ago, and forgot to take the pristine wooden steering wheel off of it. Oh well. I lose (several thousand dollars). I made the deal.

The answer is to keep track of your stock, not to tell the buyer at the last minute that the deal has changed. They lost a double sale and a repeat customer, and, if the buyer is mean-spirited, could conceivably lose $6,000 (treble damages), plus court costs, for dishonest business practices.

- Eric
Old November 7th, 2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Krom
nothing illegal about it. Happens on almost every deal.

Car dealers even get money kicked their way when they sign you for a 0% loan.
I've always wondered about 0% loans, although I've never used one. Can you expand on them a bit? How can dealers afford to provide them?
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:31 PM

I would have left too. You did good by leaving.

Here's my gripe.
I JUST bought a 2015 GMC Elevation edition. When I took delivery the salesman walked me through all the options. I noticed that all the tires had 43lbs of air(32 is standard) and one had 30.
I told him there's either something wrong with one tire or all 3 are overinflated.
They made all the 4 tires 32lbs.

The very next day I found a screw in the middle of the tire that had been 30.
I brought it in and said they needed to plug it...and told them I noticed this while I was on the lot.
They made me pay the $20 for a plug. They next day. 20 miles on a new vehicle.

-pete
Old November 7th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I can't believe they made you pay $20. When one of my customers had issues with a vehicle, I made sure it was corrected free of charge.

Originally Posted by RandyS
I've always wondered about 0% loans, although I've never used one. Can you expand on them a bit? How can dealers afford to provide them?
In most cases with a 0% note you give up the rebates, that pays for the buy down rate.

Quick Reply: Bait and switch ?